• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    To most Americans, NASCAR has always belonged to the “rednecks” —an association strong enough that NASCAR’s attempts to broaden their viewership are not only pointless, but discourage the dedicated fans they do have.

Sample size of 1, my wife: She will stay up until 2am to watch an F1 race live in another time zone, but has zero interest in free tickets to the Brickyard. She was not even a DTS watcher. She got hooked watching Abu Dhabi '21 with me.

I enjoy NASCAR, but it's just professional wrestling in cars. NASCAR needs to either admit it...or stop pretending it isn't.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Thank God the drivers understand. Now if the Nascar executives will listen to them and understand the same thing. 20 years ago, when you have 10 million viewers every week, and the stands are sold out, many tracks have a waiting list to buy tickets... Ya, you can get by with telling a driver or owner "we don't need you". Now, when you are barely getting 2 million views, removing grandstands, and have open seats in the stands, telling a driver or owner "we don't need you" can potentially cost the sport a lot.

NBA and NFL people watch their TEAM perform. So, if the colts for example, trade off a star safety, there is still an entire team that the fans are cheering for and watching. In racing, the fan doesn't know the tire changers name, the fuel man, the jackman... They only know the driver, and without their favorite driver on the track, they have a lot less chance of watching on Sunday. If Kyle Larson accounts for 250,000 fans, and he quits racing, that is 250,000 fans that are either going to find a new driver, or no longer watch on Sunday. This is evident by the viewership loss when Dale Jr, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and Tony Stewart all retired. The sport was already losing viewers, then their favorite drivers retired and a lot of fans don't watch if your guy isn't running.

When Dale Sr. died, a lot of people that never watched Nascar began watching to cheer for Dale Jr because of his situation. It was a feel good story for people, young guy loses his dad and now they want to see him succeed. Almost a hallmark story for the sport. Once Dale Jr left the sport, those people aren't going to find a new driver if they were here for that hallmark story. They quit watching. That's why Nascar is trying to expand West, to make up for the fans it has lost by expanding its base. I don't blame them at all for doing that. However, you shouldn't do things that jeopardize your current fanbase in hopes of gaining others.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Watching the first NASCAR race in weeks. Well, more of background noise while doing homework. Anyway, the girl playing the national anthem sounded pretty darn good.

Well, back to writing.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Ridiculous throwing a full course caution on a road course when not necessary. Damaged cars still under power to make it back to pits. 1 of the reasons i don't watch much any more..nascar wants the carnage at restarts and such.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Time to squeeze in a few more commercials.
    Exactly why i watch the UK broadcast for indy, F1 and other nascar races. Very little if any, which very seldom there are none. I actually watch certain usa tv show because the British commercials don't seem to be as lame as the smerican 1s.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Road courses are divided into segment or sectors. In motorcycle and what little sports car racing I've seen full course yellows are very rare. There are segment yellows or it SHTF a full course red stops the action.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Road courses are divided into segment or sectors. In motorcycle and what little sports car racing I've seen full course yellows are very rare. There are segment yellows or it SHTF a full course red stops the action.
    Exactly.

But as was said, Nascar likes to create excitement by throwing full course yellows and bunching the field up. If they didnt bunch the field up, the race would barely have any excitement. Thus the reason for “stage” cautions… everyone knew the debris cautions were bs so they just made mandatory yellows at certain laps. And, gives them more commercial breaks.

The last few laps been pretty good racing, but they had to throw a caution and bunch them up to make it happen… which sucks cause the leader always gets screwed.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    We went camping at patoka lake. Was talking about back when we used to go camp at the track and go to the races. Asked my wife if she would want to go to Talladega and camp that weekend. She said “well looking at the stands on TV shouldnt be hard to find a camping spot” :lmfao:

After discussing it, we decided there are only 2 tracks that would be worth watching anymore, bristol or darlington… will probably go camp at eldora like we do every year for the world, and probably go to knoxville for the nationals. Never been always wanted to.

My wife was a bigger nascar fan than I was when we met. Shes also way more conservative than I am. She walked in and I had Sonoma on, she said “wouldnt you rather watch something else”? She took the kids to the park instead

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I kind of skimmed through that article, is Jr leaving NBC for more money at Amazon? Will Amazon Prime be taking on some race streaming? I cant keep up with all of the changing.
    Not sure on the details but losing 15 time Most Popular Driver to a streaming network is a major failure on NBC's part.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think the three announcers left will be terrible. Jr made it a little more tolerable for me. Also going to miss Race Hub. I believe it’s last show was 6/11.
    Dont worry, them closing racehub is somehow a good thing im sure.

When the main event is only getting 2 million viewers, any shows about the main event is destined to fail.

There was some weeks I preferred watching racehub over the actual race.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Despite a Daytona 500 washout, FOX scored a slight increase in viewership for its portion of the NASCAR Cup Series season.

NASCAR races on FOX and FS1 averaged 3.37 million viewers this season, a figure that includes the postponed Daytona 500 — up 1% from last season, when Daytona was run as scheduled (3.34M). Fox Sports said Tuesday that this is the first time it has scored a year-over-year increase in a season where Daytona was rained out.

The ten races on the FOX broadcast network averaged 4.01 million, down 3% from last year. (Excluding Daytona both this year and last, the FOX races averaged 3.77 million — up 4% from last year’s 3.62 million.)

FS1 made up for that decline with a double-digit increase for its six races, averaging 2.39 million — up 13% from last year’s 2.12 million.

For the first time since 2001 they saw an “increase” in viewership. Good thing, seeing as how last year was a all time record low.

Averaging 2.3 million on fs1 and down 3% on FOX (regular tv averaged 4 million, 3.7 million viewers by EXCLUDING Daytona)

Think about that. The biggest race of the year only changed the average by .3 million.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Darlington was down in ratings (big race, lost to golf) and the coke 600 was down from last year (ran on monday) and 2022 (ran on sunday).

Looking at the season, most races were a decrease.

Now theyre closing down racehub and Dale Jr isnt broadcasting for NBC… thats gonna hurt ratings even more.

Im curious to see how streaming ratings are. I think its gonna be a huge decrease. Most Nascar fans dont stream on Amazon. My dad doesnt even know what the hell amazon streaming is. He isnt gonna be able to watch that, and a lot of Nascar fans are older guys that arent gonna get Amazon just to stream Nascar races.

Top Bottom