• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Well my car is in the shop having a head gasket replaced so I've been riding my bike to work all week (03 cbr 600RR). I've been riding for 2 years and driving for 8 and a half with nothing on my record but one seatbelt ticket a few years back. Well, not anymore. I'm sitting at a light with "master of puppets" by metallica jamming in my ear and the blood starts flowing, adrenaline starts pumping. I take a look around and don't see any cops around. The light turns green and I slam on her. The rpms hit about 11k the front end starts to stand up slightly so I kick her into second and grab a hanfull of brake. Up from behind flies a blue and white cobra and I already knew what was going on so I'm on the shoulder before the cherries and berries are even lit. Well the good thing is the cop was quite cool about it and realized I had until this point had a great driving record, so even though he clocked me at 76 in a 40 before I backed off and the front wheel wasn't on the pavement he spared me from reckless driving. I still racked up 6 points on my license and a pricey speeding ticket all at once but it sure beats the alternative. He actually commented he was suprised when I knew I was hit I didn't run. I told him I had to much to lose, including my life haha. The cop was very professional and did cut me a break so I respect that. However, the bike is on craigslist now for fear of me losing my license. I can't stop thinking about how ridiculously dumb I was so I figured I would get it off my chest. That is all.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    See if your county has a pretrial deversion program. If it does do that it will cost you more but if you stay off the gas for 6 months you will not get the points and your insurance company does not find out. Have been in the same spot, i am doing one now.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    that is a good but sad story...Its unfortunate the bike had to go. Once you get the music cranked and you start feeling it, its easy to lose sight of how fast you are actually going...especially on a bike. You dont feel like your moving at all on those things

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    It was marion county. The only info I have been able to find is that you can paymore to keep it off if it is a rare thing for you. However, that only works if you 25mph over or under. It is called safe driver diversion. Someone suggested calling the court and asking if I could do a driving class to keep the points off.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    When i got mine i was not worried about the points. It was the insurance company that was going to screw me and i had not had a ticket in 15 years.

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Ya, I hear ya there. I'm going to explore possibilities and see what I can find out. Hopefully I can find something to keep it away from insurance.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Mine was 27 over in St. Joseph county, every county may not be the same. I was just going to pay it. Something told me to call my insurance company and check, they where going to jack my rates a grand a year for 3 years. Good Luck

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I got clocked at 38 over when I was 16. (Showing off for a girl in my Iroc) I have no idea how I avoided a reckless driving charge. At the time, my insurance agent also attended my church. So in a very 'hypothetical' fashion, I asked her what would happen if I got a ticket for 30+. She told me ,at my age, I'd very likely just have my insurance revoked entirely, and would have to go to a high risk company to get anything.

When it came time to pay the ticket, I just didn't have the money for it, and didn't have the courage to tell my parents, and certainly wasn't asking for a handout from them. So I skipped school and went to traffic court. Waited for almost an hour and a half, and then the traffic judge (Who was doing this in the hallway btw), called my name out and told me that the officer never showed that morning. He asked me if I was guilty, and I just shrugged my shoulders and kept my mouth shut. He threw the ticket out and told me to slow the hell down. I knew I had just gone down in history as the luckiest son of a gun alive.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Whoa whoa whoa...

You had EARPHONES in your ears? Seriously?

Yeah, while I have never actually read anything telling me that's illegal. Drivers ed sure hammered it in that it was, is it different for motorcycles?

Glad your ok though, dont you just hate that heart beating through your chest and numb feeling on the back of your neck and throat closing up feeling :n00b:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    So if you lose your motorcycle license do you still have your drivers? or does your drivers get suspended? Or just motorcycle license?

No cant have the MC endorsement without a valid license.

One stinking ticket OP, chill out and you will be good to go. If you get another one in a year you take a Defensive driving class for point credit.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I got my last ticket here in allen co. (car) & went with a deferral payment ,Was a bit more but I didnt get my insurance rate jacked up on me for 3 yrs which is the norm.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't plan on busting your chops for speeding...

But wearing ear buds / headphones while driving? ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Maybe it's a good thing you're selling your bike.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't plan on busting your chops for speeding...

But wearing ear buds / headphones while driving? ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Maybe it's a good thing you're selling your bike.

Agreed. I used to ride my Harley all the time, with and without a helmet. I don't have it anymore. Sold it to take care of bills and buy a ring. Proposed to my now wife. I always thought, still do, that it was totally stupid to ride with headphones on. If you need music that much, get a goldwing.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, you live and learn, then you learn how to live. Everybody has stories of dumb things they have done riding their bike or driving their car. Don't kick yourself too much.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    One earphone in one ear at a low volume so ithe music is more background noise. Traffic is the most important thing to hear obviously. Most the time I could only hear it at lights or slow city speeds it just helped break the monotany (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I also thought about taking it to traffic court in hopes of the officer not showing up which got me out of a ticket when I was 17 and scared to tell mom and dad. I have heard that isp and impd now mandate that the officers show. Also I heard that hit you with quite a bit more fees now to discourage people from doing it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom