• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Does anyone have the "facts" about how this change will affect veterans, especially those diagnosed with PTSD? With all the discussions and concern about those who are mentally ill owning guns, I am concerned how the administration will abuse its ability to access the veterans' medical records and flag them for gun ownership. So any of you who have the facts, I'm very interested in learning.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does anyone have the "facts" about how this change will affect veterans, especially those diagnosed with PTSD? With all the discussions and concern about those who are mentally ill owning guns, I am concerned how the administration will abuse its ability to access the veterans' medical records and flag them for gun ownership. So any of you who have the facts, I'm very interested in learning.

Out of everything that had been discussed about the executive actions, this is the only aspect that genuinely concerns me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Out of everything that had been discussed about the executive actions, this is the only aspect that genuinely concerns me.

Yes, me too! Especially after a somewhat intense interaction with another "gun owner" who said all veterans with PTSD "should not be allowed to own guns." She said, "Most veterans that I know with PTSD don't want anything to do with guns." I'm not sure how many veterans she knows and although I do not agree, I do know a few who have become anti-gun advocates. I believe the President knows less about military personnel and veterans than he does guns, which causes me much concern.

At one point, they were asking veterans if they owned guns and stripped them of their right if they could no longer handle their own finances. The idea of questioning those with PTSD was brought up for a moment, but the VFW caused them to back away. I'm not sure if they will just add these veterans to a list and not even worry about doing any questioning.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not just veterans, but anyone diagnosed with depression as well.

You go to any college campus and you'll find a significant number of students on some kind of antidepressant. I wonder if they've forfeited their right to own a firearm?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Guy, I thought your response on Indy Star to the "Flood" comment was borderline brilliant. I say this as after spending a week with my younger sister who has spent the last 7 years living overseas... there is an overwhelming amount of intolerance coming from the crowd preaching tolerance.

So now I'm an "ammosexual" in the eyes of the anti-gun crowd? Fine, whatever, punch my card if you are obsessed with labeling me. There can be no adult dialog with that kind of mindset.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Guy, I thought your response on Indy Star to the "Flood" comment was borderline brilliant. I say this as after spending a week with my younger sister who has spent the last 7 years living overseas... there is an overwhelming amount of intolerance coming from the crowd preaching tolerance.

So now I'm an "ammosexual" in the eyes of the anti-gun crowd? Fine, whatever, punch my card if you are obsessed with labeling me. There can be no adult dialog with that kind of mindset.
    From the people who constantly champion transexual, homosexual, and other -sexual rights I see it as rather ridiculous of them to use ammosexual as an insult.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Our president would like as many people as possible declared crazy, so their guns can be removed. He cares not for the crazy, but he wants the guns.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    They'll just claim you are a CRAPPY business owner. Just because you dont make a profit does not mean you arent a business. :rolleyes:

It also doesn't matter if you do make a profit. If you read the ATF guidlines that TFT posted there is an example given:

"David enjoys hunting and has a large variety of hunting rifles. He likes to have the newest models with the most current features. To pay for his new rifles, a few times a year David sells his older weapons to fellow hunters for a profit. David does not need to be licensed because he is engaging in occasional sales for enhancement of his personal collection."

If you are using profits to buy more stuff for your gun collection, you are still just a collector, enhancing his collection (within reason Im sure) Now if the ATF questioned you on your actions, not making a profit would be one more piece of evidence to show it is just a hobby.

Everyone should read the guidance document posted on the first page, it really does a good job of explaining with the examples it uses.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It also doesn't matter if you do make a profit. If you read the ATF guidlines that TFT posted there is an example given:

"David enjoys hunting and has a large variety of hunting rifles. He likes to have the newest models with the most current features. To pay for his new rifles, a few times a year David sells his older weapons to fellow hunters for a profit. David does not need to be licensed because he is engaging in occasional sales for enhancement of his personal collection."

If you are using profits to buy more stuff for your gun collection, you are still just a collector, enhancing his collection (within reason Im sure) Now if the ATF questioned you on your actions, not making a profit would be one more piece of evidence to show it is just a hobby.

Everyone should read the guidance document posted on the first page, it really does a good job of explaining with the examples it uses.

So does this logic cover the guy at the 1500 that has 6 or 7 tables EVERY show I've been to but has this huge "PRIVATE COLLECTION" sign above his head? IMHO this guy is a dealer hiding under a sign and is the very person they're trying to regulate. Just my :twocents:

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    So does this logic cover the guy at the 1500 that has 6 or 7 tables EVERY show I've been to but has this huge "PRIVATE COLLECTION" sign above his head? IMHO this guy is a dealer hiding under a sign and is the very person they're trying to regulate. Just my :twocents:

I agree with you, that is who they are after, and no that logic does not apply to him. If the man is selling his collection, and when they are sold and gone, he is done, he is ok. If he keeps buying firearms just to sell at that table, he is not ok. As stated in the ATF guidance, it boils down to intent. In your example that man would fall under this example:

"Lynn regularly travels to gun shows around her state, rents space, and sells firearms under a banner stating “liquidating personal collection.” Most of the firearms Lynn offers for sale she purchased from a licensed dealer in the prior weeks. Lynn is retired and hopes to supplement her income with the money she makes on the sales, although she has yet to turn a profit. Lynn must get a license because she is repetitively buying and selling firearms with a primary objective of profit."

This example also shows that profit doesn't determine intent.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom