My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Good luck with the tank. It would be a great tank for 2-3 Chiclids. Post some pics when you get it set up. Nice meeting you all. Very cool people.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I woke up this morning to find some more baby mollies in my 29 gallon so that finally motivated me to get the camera out and snap a few photos.

Here is a photo of one of the baby molly's, they are sort of hard to get a photo of because they like hiding down in the coral, also in the photo is a mommy ghost shrimp carrying about 30 baby ghost shrimp fry underneath her tail, which are about ready to be released here any day now.

29gallon01.jpg

Here is another shot of those two.

29gallon06.jpg

Here is a shot of some of our tetras.

29gallon02.jpg

Here is a photo of one of the more curious ghost shrimp swimming over to see what I am up too.

29gallon03.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the adult mollies.

29gallon04.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Good luck with the tank. It would be a great tank for 2-3 Chiclids. Post some pics when you get it set up. Nice meeting you all. Very cool people.

Thanks again for the tank!

It's all set up and I got most of the hard water stains off. I also went out and picked up a marineland 350 gph biowheel to replace the small filter.

The fish seem to be doing great! The cichlid got really stressed on the ride home, but he seems to be doing fine now.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I motivate myself to get off of the couch...I'm posting from my phone right now.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Here's the new tank! I can't thank beararms1776 enough...Rep him people!

Not to bad for free:

DSC_5707.jpg

The water is still clearing up, but I love the new tank so far.

Thanks again beararms!!!

Edit: WTF, the water looks so bad in this picture, but it is almost crystal clear as I'm staring at it...You can only tell it's foggy if you look at it from the side(and look through 4' of water).

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I'm glad to see you have it. Eventually I will get another tank but as of now, just really didn't have time for it and also moving may be in the near future. I hate moving fish tanks. Looks good in the pic. That Cichlid ate a couple of fish so he's got the taste for smaller fish.:):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm glad to see you have it. Eventually I will get another tank but as of now, just really didn't have time for it and also moving may be in the near future. I hate moving fish tanks. Looks good in the pic. That Cichlid ate a couple of fish so he's got the taste for smaller fish.:):

Yeah, I must have been carrying something to the car, because Mike told me you said that...So far the only fish he has picked on has been the pleco and it was just for a second. Once I get some more rocks in there, the pleco should be able to hide.

I did some research on that cichlid and it said they are one of the most docile and should be able to live in a community tank, so hopefully it was just a fluke that 2 fish were missing...I have a 20 gallon I can put him/her in if things get worse...Or I could move all of the community fish to there and turn this one into a Cichlid tank.

So many possibilities. :):

Edit: Awesome tank Richard! That coral is sick looking!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Even "peaceful cichlids" will eat any other fish that are small enough to fit in their mouth, heck that's pretty much a given for most any species of fish actually.

But that new tank looks great, kudo's to Beararms that was really awesome of you man.

Anyway yea that big chunk of coral works great as a nursery, all of the baby fish & baby shrimp like to hide in it & they eat the algae that grows on it so it's a win-win, plus it looks pretty decent even if it is still a fresh-water tank.

I haven't had much luck breeding the two tetra species (neon & lemon) in that tank though, the shrimp eat any & all of the laid tetra eggs fairly quickly but the mollies are live-bearers so the molly babies have a much better chance at surviving.

I don't bother with a separate nursery tanks or fry netting or anything, to much hassle for me since they are constantly breeding, I figure if the babies live they live, if they get eaten or sucked into the filter .. well it sucks to be them then.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    THE MOON!

Or Colonial Garden Center...

IMG_0198.jpg

I just picked up ~150 lbs for $29.00.:rockwoot:

How should I wash these?

I think these will look really sharp once I get some white pool filter sand in there, but I want to reestablish my tank first, so I need to keep all that bacteria in the rocks(how long should I wait to change?).

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    looking good! just wait until you get into aquascaping it's all downhill from there.

Slobodan Lazarevic-aquascaping

Aquascaping Showcase - Aquascaping World Forum

Thanks and yeah, some of those pictures are sick!

I don't want to get carried away with it, but I would not be opposed to an all grass floor and some tall plants for the back...I think that would look sharp.

I'm going to replace the fake grass plants with real ones...How much CO2 would I need and what exactly do I do(cheaper the better, ie 2-liter bottle).

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Thanks and yeah, some of those pictures are sick!

I don't want to get carried away with it, but I would not be opposed to an all grass floor and some tall plants for the back...I think that would look sharp.

I'm going to replace the fake grass plants with real ones...How much CO2 would I need and what exactly do I do(cheaper the better, ie 2-liter bottle).

the cheapest DIY CO2 is a 2 liter bottle, brewers yeast, water, sugar, air tubing, and a ladder diffuser.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    patriot i will admit, your tank looks mighy fine, i love the bright colored fish with the light rocks and the light sand, they all complement quite well

Top Bottom