My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have always just run a single 250w heater in my 55 gallon & single 100w heaters in my smaller tanks, never had any problems.

Generally they (the fish) should easily be able to acclimate to any slight/gradual temperature changes so long as it isn't really drastic.

Your biggest concern with tropical fish will be during water exchanges and stuff, that's where a digital thermometer comes in real handy to help match up your tap water's temp to your tank temp.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have always just run a single 250w heater in my 55 gallon & single 100w heaters in my smaller tanks, never had any problems.

Generally they (the fish) should easily be able to acclimate to any slight/gradual temperature changes so long as it isn't really drastic.

Your biggest concern with tropical fish will be during water exchanges and stuff, that's where a digital thermometer comes in real handy to help match up your tap water's temp to your tank temp.

I do ~20% water changes every week and just match the temp in my bath tub to the temp in the tank as close as I can just by feel...It's been fine so far.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    For the downstairs tank(round rocks, blue background) I have decided on these three species:

I'm going to start with 6 juvies each and switch them around when they are mature enough to tell a difference in sex.

Rusty's and Zebra's are some of my favorite. Especially when you get a good strain and watch the males color up.

Man woundedyak, you really know your way around a fish tank.:wow:

I was actually thinking about white sand for the tank you quoted and black sand for the Peacock/yellow lab tank.

I figured the white sand would look good with the blue background and black sand would look good with the black background...Do you think I should do black for both?

After seeing those tanks, I'm going to respect your opinion more than my own.:D

Also, why does it matter if the heater is vertical or not? Should I put my new 250w vertical in the left corner?

White black. Glock XD. Ford Chevy! I think you should do what you want. Having two tanks, I would rock:rockwoot: both colors! It's pretty easy to change out backgrounds,lights, and rocks to find the perfect match.
    I stick my heaters vertical because I run a UGJ system that blows across them and that seems to keep the temp more consistent. The second reason is, I use to hind them long ways across the bottom of the tank in the back. I had some rocks fall and break the heater once. It wasn't good.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I stick my heaters vertical because I run a UGJ system that blows across them and that seems to keep the temp more consistent. The second reason is, I use to hind them long ways across the bottom of the tank in the back. I had some rocks fall and break the heater once. It wasn't good.

The 250w heater I bought is shatter proof and the rocks are stacked in a way that I don't think it's possible for them to fall on it anyway. I have mine horizontal because the heater sits right on top of the bubble curtain, so I figured that would move the heat around better than standing it up vertically.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have a shipment of labidochromis sp. Mbambas that should be arriving tomorrow afternoon.

Labidochromis_mbamba2.jpg

By the time they get here, they will have been in a fish bag for over 48 hours...What is the best way to acclimate them to my tank?

I've never done this before, but I heard after they have been in a bag for several days, the float/drip method can be toxic for them because their bodies shut down while they are in the bag and warming them up too quick or putting lights on them get them going again.

I asked this question on the cichlid forum and didn't get an answer, so I'd appreciate some opinions asap, because they will be here soon.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Ben, Try searching acclimating cichlids on google

I have, but I've read so many different ways...I was just hoping for some first hand experience.

I've read that if the pH range is between .03 and .15 off you should drip them and if it's (less or) more just drop them in.:dunno:

Some people just say to get them out of that bag ASAP, because they need fresh oxygen more than they need to be acclimated.

Some say put them in a bucket and drip them for an hour or so, put them in and DON'T turn on the lights for 24-48 hours.

It's probably 6 one way and half a dozen the other, but I'd still like as many opinions as I can get...They have a 100% live arrival guarantee, but that is with 2 quality pictures of the dead fish in the unopened bag within 2 hours of arrival.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Not much experience with cichlids but the last one sounds good. You could also put air in the bucket using a hose and pump.
    Those are cool looking cichlids you have. Nice colors. One thing I read about them is if you have 2 or more in a tank, you will eventually be left with one fish. When they get bigger, they will kill each other until there is only one left. Thats just what I read in one article. You may find varying opinions with different species.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Not much experience with cichlids but the last one sounds good. You could also put air in the bucket using a hose and pump.
    Those are cool looking cichlids you have. Nice colors. One thing I read about them is if you have 2 or more in a tank, you will eventually be left with one fish. When they get bigger, they will kill each other until there is only one left. Thats just what I read in one article. You may find varying opinions with different species.

1 male to 4 females curbs the aggression...Also, I researched and based my stocking list on the most docile Mbuna that also have a lot of color.

Conspecific aggression(aggression towards their own species) shouldn't be a problem either, but I may have problems with the Mbamba that I'm getting.

I've been posting on cichlid-forum for awhile now and everyone there that has a lot of experience says my list should be good to go as long as I stick to the 1m:4f ratio when they are old enough to decipher male from female...I think you read about Mbuna Auratus; those things are impossible to predict if they will kill each other or live peacefully, regardless of tank size.

I put your firemouth in the peacock tank and he is doing great...I have several mature peacocks in there and they are all living peacefully together.

He/she hides a lot, but it's usually when I'm in front of the tank. When I observe from a distance, he is always out and about and they all leave each other alone.

BTW, I'll definitely be putting an air rock in the tank while I'm acclimating...I've done that with my last two tanks(both of my 55 gallon tanks have come with fish) and I haven't lost a fish yet.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have, but I've read so many different ways...I was just hoping for some first hand experience.

I've read that if the pH range is between .03 and .15 off you should drip them and if it's (less or) more just drop them in.:dunno:

Some people just say to get them out of that bag ASAP, because they need fresh oxygen more than they need to be acclimated.

Some say put them in a bucket and drip them for an hour or so, put them in and DON'T turn on the lights for 24-48 hours.

It's probably 6 one way and half a dozen the other, but I'd still like as many opinions as I can get...They have a 100% live arrival guarantee, but that is with 2 quality pictures of the dead fish in the unopened bag within 2 hours of arrival.

I'm bumping this one more time for any aquarium buffs that may see this when they wake up.

Thanks guys!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, I just received my fish, but I don't think acclimating them is really an issue.:(

DSC_5944.jpg

My whole downstairs REEKS of rotten fish right now.

He responded within 5 minutes of my email and said someone talked him into double bagging the breather bags, but he's going to go back to his old method(I'm not sure why he decided to try something new ) and will ship some more out on Monday.

I've never really used a quarantine tank, but I have a 20g with two auratus that I've been meaning to give away/trade in, so I'll definitely be doing that for the new fish I'm getting.

How long should I quarantine them?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's made by back to nature. It's there Tanganyika line and it's ridiculously expensive. I have somewhere around a grand in it after everything is said and done. All of there distributors are over seas and the boxes are huge. Plus the stuff is a HUGE pain in the @$$ to cut and install. I will never go that route again. I will just stick with foam block and concrete. But the stuff is insane looking once it's done.

picture011d.jpg

picture009hbx.jpg

picture019.jpg

picture020q.jpg

picture017i.jpg

picture022u.jpg

So, do you live in Israel or Indiana?:scratch:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=184519

Top Bottom