My first empty holster. Interesting reactions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I have applied for my LTCH and I also carry my holster on my hip empty. (It is a FOBUS. Yes I know they are cheap.) I also starting wearing a magazine holster. (I have been ridiculed here in other posts I've made so don't bother.) The first time I got into my car with the holster on, I realized that I would have to work with it awhile to find the most comfortable and practical position for it.

My point is that it takes time to adjust to anything and you will constantly be moving it around on your hip to find the best spot. I would hate to get my LTCH, strap my gun on having never worn my holster in public and get the cops called on me for grabbing a gun while I'm trying to adjust it.

Anyway, just my opinion and I hate to see such negativity about someone's opinion.

Flame on.....:ar15:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I am not ridiculing the OP. I don't agree with him.........but that is not ridicule. It is simply my opinion......and my experience, that once you slip a weapon inside that holster that you've been wearing for 6-8 weeks, it will change the feeling entirely. It is also my opinion that it would be easier to get used to the holster and gun as a set than to get used to the empty holster and be forced to retrain yourself once you start carrying.

This doesn't apply to your Fobus, but for those using leather holsters, carrying it empty for long periods of time could cause improper wearing and shaping of the holster.......thus making it unsafe. This should be a major concern for anybody that claims to be trying to become a safe, responsible gun owner.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I can't speak for anybody else, but I am not ridiculing the OP. I don't agree with him.........but that is not ridicule. It is simply my opinion......and my experience
    Thanks!
    that once you slip a weapon inside that holster that you've been wearing for 6-8 weeks, it will change the feeling entirely. It is also my opinion that it would be easier to get used to the holster and gun as a set than to get used to the empty holster and be forced to retrain yourself once you start carrying.
    True. I stated earlier in this thread that I open carry at home 7 days a week, so I'm quite used to it by now.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Bruenor provided somewhat of an insight about holster comfort...but the way I look at it is that carrying a gun shouldn't be comfortable. It should be comforting.

Don't know about you but the firearm on your hip should have a holster that is also comfortable to wear, otherwise you could start subconsciously reaching to adjust it, further drawing attention.

I want my holster to fit me like a glove, become second nature like a good fitting shoe. Ever wear a pair of shoes that don't fit right? Guess myself and a whole lot of others are doing it wrong.
    Maybe I need to put a tack inside the holster to remind me that it's there.

1. We also made the observation that Protest wore the empty holster to see people's reactions, or to see who "noticed it"...

What responsible LTCH holder walks around saying "Look at me I have a GUN!"???...or in this case DON'T have a gun :rolleyes:.

What's wrong with him gauging people's reactions? It's no different than if he was carrying and gauging people reactions. Let me guess, you're a concealed carry person right?

2. I practice drawing an empty gun from my holster quite regularly...:thumbsup:
    Your sarcasm is duly noted.

I have applied for my LTCH and I also carry my holster on my hip empty. (It is a FOBUS. Yes I know they are cheap.) I also starting wearing a magazine holster. (I have been ridiculed here in other posts I've made so don't bother.) The first time I got into my car with the holster on, I realized that I would have to work with it awhile to find the most comfortable and practical position for it.

My point is that it takes time to adjust to anything and you will constantly be moving it around on your hip to find the best spot. I would hate to get my LTCH, strap my gun on having never worn my holster in public and get the cops called on me for grabbing a gun while I'm trying to adjust it.

Anyway, just my opinion and I hate to see such negativity about someone's opinion.

I commend you and Protest, for taking steps that will help you become more comfortable and a responsible gun-owner, so when you get your LTCH you won't feel like a neon sign is flashing above your head saying "Noob"

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Don't know about you but the firearm on your hip should have a holster that is also comfortable to wear, otherwise you could start subconsciously reaching to adjust it, further drawing attention.

I want my holster to fit me like a glove, become second nature like a good fitting shoe. Ever wear a pair of shoes that don't fit right? Guess myself and a whole lot of others are doing it wrong. Maybe I need to put a tack inside the holster to remind me that it's there.

Yes, the boots I wear are too big. I am always having to wear two, sometimes THREE, pairs of socks....

I am not too sure about the tack idea, but I will try it...

There's your sarcasm:thumbsup:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    1. We also made the observation that Protest wore the empty holster to see people's reactions, or to see who "noticed it"...

What responsible LTCH holder walks around saying "Look at me I have a GUN!"???...or in this case DON'T have a gun :rolleyes:.

I (and many others) don't believe that it is irresponsible to open carry, whatever the reason might be. Some people like the comfort. Some like the ease of access. Some like the opportunity for "a teaching moment". & some like all of the above.

As long as he's not doing anything illegal or unsafe (which would be illegal I guess :n00b:) then why not?

An empty IWB holster (concealed) doesn't scream "I'm definetly NOT armed" like an empty OWB holster.

I can agree with this.

If the OP isn't going to OC most of the time then strapping on a OWB holster for "practice" isn't much good.

Also, If there's any negative to OC'ing an empty holster (in a non-protest type situation) it's that you could look a little silly. OTOH, if it doesn't bother the OP to be viewed that way by some people & he thinks he's getting a benefit from it...:yesway:.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I (and many others) don't believe that it is irresponsible to open carry, whatever the reason might be. Some people like the comfort. Some like the ease of access. Some like the opportunity for "a teaching moment". & some like all of the above.

As long as he's not doing anything illegal or unsafe (which would be illegal I guess :n00b:) then why not?

I can agree with this.

If the OP isn't going to OC most of the time then strapping on a OWB holster for "practice" isn't much good.

Also, If there's any negative to OC'ing an empty holster (in a non-protest type situation) it's that you could look a little silly. OTOH, if it doesn't bother the OP to be viewed that way by some people & he thinks he's getting a benefit from it...:yesway:.

I never disagreed with open carry. I do so myself every now and then.

But, let's state the FACTS we have learned from this...
    -The OP's name is PROTEST.
    -He wants to see if anyone notices his firearm (or empty holster).
    -OP has admitted to having ZERO experience with firearms.
    -HE WAS NOT WEARING THE EMPTY HOLSTER FOR COMFORT REASONS.

In my opinion his actions are UNSAFE. I would hope that this forum would NOT encourage a person with ZERO firearms experience to go out in public and intentionally try to bring attention to his/her firearm. :twocents:

:horse:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    In my opinion his actions are UNSAFE. I would hope that this forum would NOT encourage a person with ZERO firearms experience to go out in public and intentionally try to bring attention to his/her firearm. :twocents:

:dunno::scratch:

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I guess I'm going agree with "looks silly", but if that's the way you want to roll.

If I saw someone with an empty holster I would probably just assume he secured his firearm in his vehicle for whatever reason and leave it at that.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    -The OP's name is PROTEST.
    I'm not here to argue or debate your points. I'm actually enjoying the thread quite a bit and am learning a lot.

But, I will say this, my username has NOTHING to do with this. You can't tell me that there is nothing about the government that you protest today.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I would be wildly interested in seeing you back that up.

Can you produce stats for the number of people killed or injured by an empty holster?

No stats. Just common sense.

I was not referring to the empty holster on that one. I was referring to the his statements about preparing for when he recieves his LTCH. Hopefully, we would not encourage someone without firearms experience to go around flaunting his pistol!!!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I'm not here to argue or debate your points. I'm actually enjoying the thread quite a bit and am learning a lot.

But, I will say this, my username has NOTHING to do with this. You can't tell me that there is nothing about the government that you protest today.

Read my avatar :rockwoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No stats. Just common sense.

I was not referring to the empty holster on that one. I was referring to the his statements about preparing for when he recieves his LTCH. Hopefully, we would not encourage someone without firearms experience to go around flaunting his pistol!!!

So, he's trying to prepare himself, and you are ragging on him for it? I mean, I'm not sure how much good it will do him, but it may make him more comfortable. I've been carrying a gun for more than a couple decades now, one of those every day on duty. I still remember how weird it felt when I started. If it makes him more comfortable and confident to dip a toe in with an empty holster, where's the problem? Looking jittery and unsure of himself when he does go out with a gun on his side is what's unsafe, and it's what will get people on edge. A sure, confident attitude keeps you out of trouble, and makes it more likely the gun will be noticed because folks aren't looking at you trying to figure out what you are so jumpy about.

Or, are you saying he should hide his gun, because he'll somehow handle his gun more safely if it can't be seen?

Or, are you saying we shouldn't encourage new firearms owners to carry their guns?

Really, I'm missing the point of the folks giving the OP crap, here, unless some of them are just trying to prove their superiority and internet awesomeness by jumping down a newby's throat.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    So, he's trying to prepare himself, and you are ragging on him for it? I mean, I'm not sure how much good it will do him, but it may make him more comfortable. I've been carrying a gun for more than a couple decades now, one of those every day on duty. I still remember how weird it felt when I started. If it makes him more comfortable and confident to dip a toe in with an empty holster, where's the problem? Looking jittery and unsure of himself when he does go out with a gun on his side is what's unsafe, and it's what will get people on edge. A sure, confident attitude keeps you out of trouble, and makes it more likely the gun will be noticed because folks aren't looking at you trying to figure out what you are so jumpy about.

Or, are you saying he should hide his gun, because he'll somehow handle his gun more safely if it can't be seen?

Or, are you saying we shouldn't encourage new firearms owners to carry their guns?

Really, I'm missing the point of the folks giving the OP crap, here, unless some of them are just trying to prove their superiority and internet awesomeness by jumping down a newby's throat.

I'm saying that just because you can carry a gun it doesn't mean you walk around puffing your chest out to see who approves and who disapproves. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!????????

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm saying that just because you can carry a gun it doesn't mean you walk around puffing your chest out to see who approves and who disapproves. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!????????

Pretty common thing among new gun carriers, ya know. They like their gun, they think it's cool they get to carry one, they like to show off a bit. It IS pretty neat to be a free, armed citizen. It wears off fairly quickly, as they discover 99% of the folks out there really don't notice, or care.

Still, if folks didn't like to puff out their chests a bit, old timers wouldn't be buying $100 pretty holsters, duracoating their guns, and buying things like AKs and ARs that most have no real use for, aside from owning a fun, cool gun.

Should we all go to one kind of gun, one color, nylon holsters, and own guns that only serve a practical purpose for us?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Pretty common thing among new gun carriers, ya know. They like their gun, they think it's cool they get to carry one, they like to show off a bit. It IS pretty neat to be a free, armed citizen. It wears off fairly quickly, as they discover 99% of the folks out there really don't notice, or care.

Still, if folks didn't like to puff out their chests a bit, old timers wouldn't be buying $100 pretty holsters, duracoating their guns, and buying things like AKs and ARs that most have no real use for, aside from owning a fun, cool gun.

Should we all go to one kind of gun, one color, nylon holsters, and own guns that only serve a practical purpose for us?

Ok, so we agree on something:woot:

That might be why I bought a chrome Desert Eagle too....:laugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom