My first empty holster. Interesting reactions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    r.o.b.o. :noway:

Getting your mind wrapped around carrying a firearm is serious business. I don't see any difference between wearing an empty holster, or other situational awareness activities like dry firing, drawing practice, etc...

Anyone who doesn't realize the physical and mental training necessary to safely carry, or god forbid actually use a firearm under stress, really needs to go back to "BB guns 101" themselves.

Kudos to the OP for conditioning the most important tool in his self-defense arsenal... His mind!

Last edited:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    But still, no one has directly answered.... How does wearing an empty holster help "prepare" someone to carry a firearm? :dunno:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    For one, it takes a while to get used to the holster. Did you buy a nice, kydex holster only to find out that you don't like the feel against your skin? Did you buy a holster to wear at 5:00, only to find that since you drive a lot having appendix carry or an ankle holster would work better? All of these things can be figured out after you get your license and have your gun on you, but why wait.

Other things you do have to wait on. For instance, strapping on your gun for the first time, only to find out that your $4.95 Wal-Mart belt won't hold it up is an eye opening experience.

For some, it takes steps. I carried my revolver around my house empty for a couple of days first. Then I would carry around the house, minus one round. Once I was comfortable with that, I added the missing round, carried around the house some more, and then headed out. What does it really matter? If carrying an empty holster helps the OP get through the transition of not carrying to carrying, can it be a bad thing?

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    But still, no one has directly answered.... How does wearing an empty holster help "prepare" someone to carry a firearm? :dunno:
    Obviously, you haven't read the whole thread as I specifically stated in this post that I open carry 7 days a week at home in preparation also. It's all part of the plan.
    For one, it takes a while to get used to the holster. Did you buy a nice, kydex holster only to find out that you don't like the feel against your skin? Did you buy a holster to wear at 5:00, only to find that since you drive a lot having appendix carry or an ankle holster would work better? All of these things can be figured out after you get your license and have your gun on you, but why wait.

Other things you do have to wait on. For instance, strapping on your gun for the first time, only to find out that your $4.95 Wal-Mart belt won't hold it up is an eye opening experience.

For some, it takes steps. I carried my revolver around my house empty for a couple of days first. Then I would carry around the house, minus one round. Once I was comfortable with that, I added the missing round, carried around the house some more, and then headed out. What does it really matter? If carrying an empty holster helps the OP get through the transition of not carrying to carrying, can it be a bad thing?
    Exactly. What one does with his freedom in his free time is truly free.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Obviously, you haven't read the whole thread as I specifically stated in this post that I open carry 7 days a week at home in preparation also. It's all part of the plan.Exactly. What one does with his freedom in his free time is truly free.

Obviously, you didn't read my question....I asked about an EMPTY holster. Not open carrying in your home.

Bruenor provided somewhat of an insight about holster comfort...but the way I look at it is that carrying a gun shouldn't be comfortable. It should be comforting.

And, if your reasons for carrying the empty holster had anything to do with Bruenor's statements, then you wouldn't care who or how many people noticed, or read the 'RUGER' print.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Obviously, you didn't read my question....I asked about an EMPTY holster. Not open carrying in your home.

Bruenor provided somewhat of an insight about holster comfort...but the way I look at it is that carrying a gun shouldn't be comfortable. It should be comforting.

And, if your reasons for carrying the empty holster had anything to do with Bruenor's statements, then you wouldn't care who or how many people noticed, or read the 'RUGER' print.
    All of it comes into play. The whole reason for carrying a firearm is for the defense of one or more innocent persons. Safety is the number one rule when carrying a firearm. What can be more safe than being aware of your surroundings? Noticing how people react. Noticing how I react. Noticing how I feel.

All of that is a benefit to me and to you. That is how I've chosen to do it in my small world. I thank you in advance for respecting that and I hope that others are as careful and as prepared as they need to be.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    All of it comes into play...(snip)... What can be more safe than being aware of your surroundings? Noticing how people react. Noticing how I react. Noticing how I feel.

All of that is a benefit to me and to you. That is how I've chosen to do it in my small world. I thank you in advance for respecting that and I hope that others are as careful and as prepared as they need to be.

Sounds like a....PROTEST ? ? ?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

It would do absolutely nothing for me and probably 99.9% of people on this forum, but for the OP it's part of his mental preparation to carry a handgun when he is properly licensed by the state.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Sounds like a....PROTEST ? ? ?

Maybe. I use my free speech rights all the time and deal with police on a regular basis. It's part of my nature to be on guard and aware of my surroundings at all times.

Ok, so lets just say for S&G that wearing this empty holster does help you with your 'situational awareness'...I just pray that when you do recieve your LTCH you have prepared to act (God forbid) in an unwanted situation where you have intentionally drawn a persons attention to your firearm.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Being someone who has virtually no history with guns, I'm trying to get as comfortable as possible with carrying. I open carry in my house every day to get as used to it as I can.

Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility? I don't understand the negative tone in your post. In fact, I think it's quite silly that while we're all trying to make Indiana a better place, you're nitpicking.

I think there is a lot of silly stuff posted in this forum. If it's what you want to do though it's OK with me. Go for it.
    :rockwoot:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I don't get it, frankly.......but, I'd rather know a guy is doing whatever he feels leads himself into safe operation of his firearm. I support his decision to do it just as much as I support somebody's right to ridicule anything a poster puts on a public forum for all to see. :D

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I carry my holster empty every day I go to work (my employer has a no firearms policy inside the store) as a silent protest. I generally don't get any unhappy reactions from my customers, and it has also started a good amount of friendly discussion from the customers that do own or carry a firearm.

Granted it started by wanting to break it in (stiff Tagua leather holster took FOREVER to mold) but it grew into what it is now.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    OMG Jack just used the 'woot' smiley...epic...thread..:D

To the OP do what you want, it's not illegal so what's it really matter to anyone else.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The people were looking at you in disbelief because you were carrying a Fobus, lol if I didn't say it someone else would have, once you get a weapon you will slowly see the light and step up the holster. I started the same way.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I'm sorry. I just don't see the point. To me that's like buying a car without an engine and pushing it down the street. Maybe because I have my LTCH and CCW everywhere I go and feel quite comfortable with a firearm being former LEO that I just don't see it as a big deal. To each his own. Have at it dude.

Top Bottom