My first empty holster. Interesting reactions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I can see the practical applications of the practice drills you've listed. I just don't see the practical application of wearing an empty holster.........with the VERY slight exception of comfort. But, since he's already bought the holster, comfort must not have been a really big issue considering he's not going to know how it feels WITH his firearm inside the holster. I'm sure you realize, that actually carrying the weapon can make a holster act and feel COMPLETELY different.

Again, I'm not ridiculing Protest for what he's doing, I just feel like he may be fooling himself into a false sense of security.
    When you talk about being comfortable wearing a side arm, there is more to think about than physical comfort. The first time I open carried I was pretty self conscious. I can see the value of getting used to people noticing the fact that you are carrying.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    When you talk about being comfortable wearing a side arm, there is more to think about than physical comfort. The first time I open carried I was pretty self conscious. I can see the value of getting used to people noticing the fact that you are carrying.

I suppose. However, the reactions you get from carrying a visible firearm aren't the same reactions you'll get from wearing a holster with nothing in it. I suppose they could be similar reactions..............one might be Holy Crap!!!!! that guy has a gun, and the other may be Holy Crap!!!! that guy left his gun somewhere. :D

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I suppose. However, the reactions you get from carrying a visible firearm aren't the same reactions you'll get from wearing a holster with nothing in it. I suppose they could be similar reactions..............one might be Holy Crap!!!!! that guy has a gun, and the other may be Holy Crap!!!! that guy left his gun somewhere. :D
    That all depends. It has been a bit cool so I have generally been wearing a sweat shirt or a light jacket. You can see the holster, but you can only assume there is a gun.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    So what am I to think when visiting Home depoot and LOWELS, and see a contractor wearing a tool belt without a hammer or tape measure. DO I ask him if he does side jobs or tell him to watch more This Old House.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    OC people have been catching so much s--t lately that they took advantage of an opportunity to throw some of their own to......... the dreaded OH person! :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Holy crap. This guy is so anxious to get his license and is preparing himself mentally to start carrying and all I'm reading is people ridiculing him for it. :facepalm: What's wrong with some of you people?

I applaud you for your actions.

Oh, and to the guy asking if he carried a shotgun around, be careful who you ask that question. Some of us haven't carried a shotgun, but we have carried CETME's, AR's, AKs, etc around Downtown Indy.

On April 17th, there will be around 100 or so guys carrying a little bit of everything downtown for the Second Amendment March. ;) Only two days after the Tax Day Tea Party. :D

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    The part that bothers me is that he was so proud to wear his INGO hat and now he's probably not as hyped about spreading the word of this website.
    If he wanted to carry an empty holster thats his business, who should care?
    I don't think any of you guys attacked the OP, you should just be more tactful when writing a reply.
    However, it is your God given right to be rude and insulting if you choose to be.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana

When you put your thoughts, opinions or actions up on an open forum, not only do you invite remarks, you obviously expect them.

Perhaps, the OP is inciting reaction here just as he incited reaction by wearing an empty holster. :dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The part that bothers me is that he was so proud to wear his INGO hat and now he's probably not as hyped about spreading the word of this website.
    I don't think any of you guys attacked the OP, you should just be more tactful when writing a reply.
    However, it is your God given right to be rude and insulting if you choose to be.

God may giveth the right to be insulting, but don't forget, Fenway can taketh away that right :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    When you put your thoughts, opinions or actions up on an open forum, not only do you invite remarks, you obviously expect them.

Perhaps, the OP is inciting reaction here just as he incited reaction by wearing an empty holster. :dunno:

I don't think he was trying to incite anything. If you had read the OP, AND his subsequent posts, I don't believe you would have arrived at that same conclusion....

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I don't think he was trying to incite anything. If you had read the OP, AND his subsequent posts, I don't believe you would have arrived at that same conclusion....

Because we have different opinions of the intent of the OP you automatically assume I didn't read the first post? There is nothing in the first post that either supports or disproves my claim. It was just a thought.

Last edited:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Am I the only one who thinks carrying around an empty holster is pointless, dumb, and makes you look like an idiot?

Kinda reminds me of some 15 year old kid carrying some car keys around and showing everyone because he is going to be getting his license soon.

Or a ten year old girl stuffing her bra with tissue paper because some day she will be old enough to have the real deal.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Saw a dude in our bank several months ago with an empty holster on his hip. He was old enough to have had an LTCH... So perhaps he was waiting on his, too?

I suspect, though, that he just emptied it 'cause he was going to a bank.

I seriously contemplated letting him know that bank carry was legal in Indiana but I didn't.

-J-

Just yell "Hey, it's okay to bring your gun in here, I have a GUN right NOW!"
    :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Or a ten year old girl stuffing her bra with tissue paper because some day she will be old enough to have the real deal.

Actually, your analogy MAKES the OPs point if you think about it. :D

If could be said "Why give girls training bras when they dont have anything to put in them". Yes? The reason is, so they can get USED to wearing a bra, right?

Same here. The OP is getting USED to carrying a holster. If you OC, it sticks out a bit, right? So you may find yourself bumping into things, adjusting how you sit in the car, etc.

I see nothing wrong with getting used to wearing a holster before there is anything in it, so you are used to it BEFORE there is something in it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom