My first empty holster. Interesting reactions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    You are trying to be a responsible gun owner. Whatever method you use to get there is a good thing.

Not trying to be controversial, but I don't buy that logic. There are a myriad of things he could do with the intent of becoming a responsible gun owner......none of which will make him one. Including, IMHO, carrying an empty holster. In Protest's admonishment to Jack Ryan, he said the following: " Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility?" My personal opinion is that this will serve to give nothing more than a false sense of security.

The more I think about it, the more I see this as a pointless endeavor........again, JMO.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Protest -

Thanks for holding your tongue and not ripping the neigh sayers a new one. You are doing what is right for you. Others don't have to understand it, but they should at least support you for the choice to prepare yourself.

Bravo Zulu

Doug

Oh, Yea, Bacon too

:+1:

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Don't sweat it Protest, mindset is everything. If the average person put half of the serious thought into carrying a firearm as you do, we would be a lot better off.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Don't sweat it Protest, mindset is everything. If the average person put half of the serious thought into carrying a firearm as you do, we would be a lot better off.

Correct. While many my have the mindset to carry a handgun, how many truly have the mindset to use it in a stressful situation?

Protest, more power to you. Reminds me of this:

warlock.jpg

:D

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    Not trying to be controversial, but I don't buy that logic. There are a myriad of things he could do with the intent of becoming a responsible gun owner......none of which will make him one. Including, IMHO, carrying an empty holster. In Protest's admonishment to Jack Ryan, he said the following: " Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility?" My personal opinion is that this will serve to give nothing more than a false sense of security.

The more I think about it, the more I see this as a pointless endeavor........again, JMO.
    I'm not sure how it helps either but if he feels he's getting something from it then more power to him. People sometimes take different paths to get to the same destination.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    But still, no one has directly answered.... How does wearing an empty holster help "prepare" someone to carry a firearm? :dunno:

seriously?

Let's start with finding the best place to wear the holster while:

Sitting in a car

sitting in a booth, stool or chair at a restaurant/bar

sitting in a bathroom stall dropping the kids off at the pool

figuring out whether appendix, hip, 4:30 or BTB is better for the way he walks

finding what position works for the different shirts he wears, some (polo, button down, sweatshirt) will print differently

seriously?

why are so many giving this new INGO'er and gun owner so much crap?

To each his own... baby steps....

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    seriously?

Sitting in a car

finding what position works for the different shirts he wears, some (polo, button down, sweatshirt) will print differently

seriously?

Bravo!

I am getting kinda sick of all the negativity here. Someone posts an observation, or a question, and BAM, insults, jokes, snide comments, etc. I am just glad it wasn't this bad when I started carrying about this time last year, or I might have been driven off the board in frustration.

As for the naysayers, I guess they never practice drawing an empty gun from their holster.

What's the point? It's empty right? Practice drills are stupid! They are pointless! So are tap/rack drills with snap caps! I see no practical use for them! Either practice at the range with live ammo, or don't practice at all!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Bravo!

I am getting kinda sick of all the negativity here. Someone posts an observation, or a question, and BAM, insults, jokes, snide comments, etc. I am just glad it wasn't this bad when I started carrying about this time last year, or I might have been driven off the board in frustration.

As for the naysayers, I guess they never practice drawing an empty gun from their holster.

What's the point? It's empty right? Practice drills are stupid! They are pointless! So are tap/rack drills with snap caps! I see no practical use for them! Either practice at the range with live ammo, or don't practice at all!

Did you just rant about insults, jokes, snide comments, etc.then make a joke or a snide comment in purple?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Did you just rant about insults, jokes, snide comments, etc.then make a joke or a snide comment in purple?

If you can't see the difference between using sarcasm to point out how negative people have been lately, and an ACTUAL uprovoked attack against a new gun owner's methods, questions, etc, then I really can't help ya... :dunno:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    But still, no one has directly answered.... How does wearing an empty holster help "prepare" someone to carry a firearm? :dunno:

seriously?

Sitting in a car

seriously?

...And if you read right below that statement I credit Bruenor for making the point about holster comfort.

You are correct...To each his own.
    For one, it takes a while to get used to the holster. Did you buy a nice, kydex holster only to find out that you don't like the feel against your skin? Did you buy a holster to wear at 5:00, only to find that since you drive a lot having appendix carry or an ankle holster would work better? All of these things can be figured out after you get your license and have your gun on you, but why wait.
    t won't hold it up is an eye opening experience....

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If you can't see the difference between using sarcasm to point out how negative people have been lately, and an ACTUAL uprovoked attack against a new gun owner's methods, questions, etc, then I really can't help ya... :dunno:

LOL, your silly

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Bravo!

I can see the practical applications of the practice drills you've listed. I just don't see the practical application of wearing an empty holster.........with the VERY slight exception of comfort. But, since he's already bought the holster, comfort must not have been a really big issue considering he's not going to know how it feels WITH his firearm inside the holster. I'm sure you realize, that actually carrying the weapon can make a holster act and feel COMPLETELY different.

Again, I'm not ridiculing Protest for what he's doing, I just feel like he may be fooling himself into a false sense of security.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Again, I'm not ridiculing Protest for what he's doing, I just feel like he may be fooling himself into a false sense of security.

I'm pretty sure he isn't feeling any safer while wearing an empty holster, he is just trying to get used to it. :rolleyes:

Not sure where all the crap thats being handed out to the OP and HIS decision to wear around an empty holster is coming from. I'm pretty sure there is enough other crap going on out in the world to rant about. He isn't harming himself, nor is he doing harm to his self either, so maybe now is the time to let it go and move on.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Bravo!

1. We also made the observation that Protest wore the empty holster to see people's reactions, or to see who "noticed it"...

What responsible LTCH holder walks around saying "Look at me I have a GUN!"???...or in this case DON'T have a gun :rolleyes:.

...What can be more safe than being aware of your surroundings? Noticing how people react. Noticing how I react. Noticing how I feel...

2. I practice drawing an empty gun from my holster quite regularly...:thumbsup:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't carry my handgun yet since I don't have my LTCH. But, today was the first day of wearing an empty holster (and my INGO hat!).

My first stop was the bank. Lady in front of me, in her late 20s, was just looking around the bank, caught sight of my holster, and then nodded at me in smiling approval.

Then we went grocery shopping. Was way too busy to even notice if people glanced my direction.

Then I stopped by City Hall to ask some questions about our city. Spoke with three different ladies, one of them seemed very much in disapproval.

I'm sure I'll notice people's reactions less and less over time.

BTW, it's a Fobus paddle holster with Ruger printed on it.
    Good to see that you were responsible enough to not carry openly without a LTCH. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with carrying an empty holster if you're really just trying to get used to the feeling of having the holster on in preparation for carrying when you have a LTCH. Seems like a good enough idea to me.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I'm pretty sure he isn't feeling any safer while wearing an empty holster, he is just trying to get used to it. :rolleyes:

The OP's own words:
    [Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility? I don't understand the negative tone in your post. In fact, I think it's quite silly that while we're all trying to make Indiana a better place, you're nitpicking
    Roll your eyes all you want...judging by the OP's own words, there is clearly more to his intent than "feeling comfortable with his hoster......which he'll never learn to do anyway without the weight of a firearm in it.

Not sure where all the crap thats being handed out to the OP and HIS decision to wear around an empty holster is coming from. I'm pretty sure there is enough other crap going on out in the world to rant about. He isn't harming himself, nor is he doing harm to his self either, so maybe now is the time to let it go and move on.

Look....I'm not handing him any "crap":rolleyes: He posted something, I posted my opinion about it, and I'm explaining my opinion....simple as that.

Anybody that puts their thoughts or opinions on an open forum ought to be prepared to have his comments scrutinized.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would rather have an imaginary .45 in my empty holster than an imaginary 9mm... More stopping power.

On a serious note, maybe he is preparing himself for 24/7 carry? There is only one way to do this before having a LTCH.

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've got one word for this thread...

**BOO**

:rolleyes:

I don't know all ya'lls problem is, but seriously...calm down. Go meditate or something. Geesh.

I say wear your empty holster. If it makes you feel more confident about carrying, then do it. Actually, if it makes YOU feel better, I urge you to do it.

I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the "club"!

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I have applied for my LTCH and I also carry my holster on my hip empty. (It is a FOBUS. Yes I know they are cheap.) I also starting wearing a magazine holster. (I have been ridiculed here in other posts I've made so don't bother.) The first time I got into my car with the holster on, I realized that I would have to work with it awhile to find the most comfortable and practical position for it.

My point is that it takes time to adjust to anything and you will constantly be moving it around on your hip to find the best spot. I would hate to get my LTCH, strap my gun on having never worn my holster in public and get the cops called on me for grabbing a gun while I'm trying to adjust it.

Anyway, just my opinion and I hate to see such negativity about someone's opinion.

Flame on.....:ar15:

Top Bottom