• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    To me, this sorta presents a sticky wicket. You don't tell the cop you have a gun (which I wouldn't) and somehow the cop finds out you have a gun, then he's gonna be a dickhead about it. You DO tell the cop you have a gun, and he is a dickhead about it. I know this is not typical of ALL cops, and this is a serious question to the LEOs here, can you see why people get bent out of shape when this type of thing happens?

I have never been in any sort of trouble with the law, other than a speeding ticket years and years ago, I consider myself a law abiding citizen, I can understand why people get REALLY pissed when they have a run in with a cop full of attitude that treats them like a criminal.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I think you're better off with not telling. Then you're just rolling the dice on the dick-headery instead of guaranteeing it. :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Dross, I see your point, but only one of those things would be any cause for concern if inadvertantly seen by a LEO and only one would lead to a potential overreaction by the LEO.

True, but that's just creating law through bullying. What I mean is, if the legislature wanted us to have to inform the police officer, they would have written it into the statute. Since they didn't do that, it's wrong for the cop to create a defacto "must inform" law because of the fear of their potential overreaction.

Line of duty deaths have been steadily decreasing for the last 35 years while at the same time shall issue carry permits have become the norm. Armed citizens are not a problem and should not be treated as such.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Put yourself in the officers shoes for a minute. You are familiar with guns and respect a person's right to carry. Motorist informs you (s)he's carrying. How would you react?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Put yourself in the officers shoes for a minute. You are familiar with guns and respect a person's right to carry. Motorist informs you (s)he's carrying. How would you react?

If they are familiar with guns, and respect gun rights, then they probably also know that Licensed gun owners are among the most law abiding citizens demographically, and would at the most ask the citizen to keep theirs hands in sight..

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    But not all officers respect another's (non-LEO) right to carry.
    Ain't that the truth. I work with LEO's all the time, on the same side, and I don't tell them unless clearly asked if I have a gun in the car. I'm not going to lie. If asked, before I answer, and since I already have my wallet out at that point, I hand him my permit (and badge) then tell him that I do have guns, where they are at, etc.
    I have, however, wondered about this question posed above-"Do you have any illegal drugs or weapons in the car?"
    I read that in the conjunctive-Do you have any illegal drugs or illegal guns in the car? Therefore I answer NO, honestly.

I also think that since I am clearly not going to use my gun on a policeman that is just doing his job and stopping me for speeding, it is not one whit of concern for him. Again, unless he asks specifically, we are not talking about it.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...unless he asks specifically, we are not talking about it.

They can ask me specifically all they want, we are still not talking about it.

"Do you have any weapons?" will get the response, "Why am I being detained?"

Remaining silent on a question is not lying.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Your right, remaining silent is not a crime. But I would be willing to bet that it's enough to get your ass yanked out of the car and arrested ,maybe even roughed up a bit, for not cooperating and in the cops opinion, being a dick!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Your right, remaining silent is not a crime. But I would be willing to bet that it's enough to get your ass yanked out of the car and arrested ,maybe even roughed up a bit, for not cooperating and in the cops opinion, being a dick!

It's not enough. Those actions would only make one of us a criminal.

The other would hopefully at least get some cash out of the deal.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    "Officer, I have a gun in my car. I also have a screwdriver, some pliers, a hickory axe handle, an empty plastic water bottle, my daughter's baby doll (named Sally), some ATM withdrawl receipts, an old pair of prescription sunglasses, several old oil change receipts, an old sock I used for a rag, and some kind of hard candy with a lot of fuzz stuck to it stuck between the seats that I can't quite reach."

After all, it's only polite to inform.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

You forgot the cop, department, township, and city being sued for a large sum of money as a result of those actions.

Go ahead. Step over the line. Rough me up. See what happens later. I always wanted a 12-bedroom house in the country, a Ferrari and my own private shooting range.

bill holht

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sounds like he was trying to find and dig every little item up and you were perfectly honest. Sometimes the good guys pay the price!!!!

Good Luck as I hope you do not have to go thru that again!!!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I could be wrong but there is no law saying I must cooperate with a cop so long as I do not obstruct. Me keeping my mouth shut is not being obstructive. **** on em if they do not like me being quiet. I am not going to help someone do their job if I am not getting paid to do so.:twocents:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Hmm...

I hope you're not advocating that those actions would be a reasonable response by the cop to someone just exercising their Constututional right. I didn't think so...

As for being arrested, for what? Could you please point to the law that says it's illegal to be a dick?

That's a pretty scary thing that the first thing many people think of is that the cops will rough someone up a bit for being merely uncooperative (better known to most of us as "the right to remain silent"). That says a huge amount about LEO-non-LEO relations.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    There is no cause for concern if someone tells the leo that they have a gun and the license to carry it. If someone was going to shoot you they are not going to tell you about it before hand. I would imagine the statistics for gun related crimes would show that legal gun owners with licenses are not even in the equation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Informing the leo is "the right thing to do"??? The right thing for who? Why is that morally superior over keeping your mouth shut?

Also, be careful of having your driver or your passenger "volunteer" that you are carrying a firearm.

LEO: "Do you have any firearms on you?"
    Driver: "Well, I don't have one, but my passenger does."

Any time that I am in a vehicle with someone that I know that is not versed in 2A laws, I have a conversation with them beforehand that I am responsible for answering about whether or not I am carrying a firearm. I tell them not to lie, but don't volunteer the information for me.

Top Bottom