• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Those are just the stock photos from Noveske's site. I like the monolithic look. Also I am kinda stuck in '07 when it comes to guns.:D

lol @ '07

OneBadV8 is gonna be super jealous now!

Do you know what those two cuts in the front of the KX3 are for? I just read about those last night and was surprised.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    lol @ '07

OneBadV8 is gonna be super jealous now!

Do you know what those two cuts in the front of the KX3 are for? I just read about those last night and was surprised.

I don't think I will be using the wire cutting feature of the pig but I was surprised by it as well.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I might lose that race. I ordered from DSG Arms and they've been backlogged due to weather and sick employees. I told them I wasn't in a hurry so they could delay mine if necessary. We'll see! :dunno:
    You guys are more than welcome to blast my upper, in the interim or otherwise ;)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You're already no slouch when it comes to having uber-quality gear-- I'm just trying to push you over the "buy" ledge. ;)

HA, thanks!

It'll be a little while, I want to buy a factory SBR from Noveske so it only has one set of serials.

Plus, I already have a Noveske on loan for a while. :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I keep reading every post in this thread. I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to build my own SBR. The only way I'll be able to do it is if I sell stuff. And I sold everything I had to sell to get my current AR.

I guess I COULD sell my Colt 357 Mag and my current AR....

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I keep reading every post in this thread. I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to build my own SBR. The only way I'll be able to do it is if I sell stuff. And I sold everything I had to sell to get my current AR.

Could also cut bills/spending, save money and wait a year or two

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Could also cut bills/spending, save money and wait a year or two

I wish. Wife and I already cut everything we can. Trying to be "debt free" :rolleyes:

For me, it's either sell something or just wait and keep my fingers crossed that the day comes where I can afford one.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I wish. Wife and I already cut everything we can. Trying to be "debt free" :rolleyes:

For me, it's either sell something or just wait and keep my fingers crossed that the day comes where I can afford one.

Well, that works too. Those are the hard decisions. And if you do that you'll be without an AR for 4 Months or so until you get the NFA Forms back

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

your not the only one my friend, id say sell your upper and buy a sbr upper and convert your lower to a pistol, so you still can shoot it till you can afford to send out your paper work to get your stamp. Im pretty sure thats legal as long as its classified as a pistol.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to build my own SBR.

Something to consider--

I think its smart to keep at least one 16" AR in the stable. Reason being that they are far less "hassle" to travel with. Think you may ever want to take an out-of-state training class? Well then you're gonna have to get special federal "permission" to take that SBR out of Indiana. Taking a class in Michigan? They don't allow SBRs, so that's a no-go completely. Having a 16" AR would still allow you to participate in either scenario.

Now, you'll notice I went against the above advice and sold my only AR to help fund this SBR project. The reason I did this is because I still have ready access to 3 other 16" guns any time I should need one (thanks to loveywoods and Kr_Treefrog2).

That being said, if you were wanting to build an SBR that was quality but (relatively) inexpensive, I'd recommend the Spike's 10.5" LE upper. You can get one from AIM or Spike's with an MOE handguard complete with BCG for $500. Add in a Spike's complete lower ($275), plus tax stamp ($200), plus engraving ($50), and you're looking at a complete SBR for $1025.

Spikes Tactical 10.5" Complete Upper Receiver.

Spike's Tactical Complete Lower w/ M4 Stock [STLC200] - $275.00 : Spikes Tactical

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This project needs a name. . .

So I'm screwing around with creating one. :D

2d8lw7t.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Something to consider--

I think its smart to keep at least one 16" AR in the stable. Reason being that they are far less "hassle" to travel with. Think you may ever want to take an out-of-state training class? Well then you're gonna have to get special federal "permission" to take that SBR out of Indiana. Taking a class in Michigan? They don't allow SBRs, so that's a no-go completely. Having a 16" AR would still allow you to participate in either scenario...http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-complete-lower-w-m4-stock-p-86.html

Or just buy a barrel wrench an armorer's block & a 16" barrel. Removing a short barrel from an SBR, while it doesn't take it off the NFA registry is technically not an SBR. I read this on the ATF site not too long ago.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Or just buy a barrel wrench an armorer's block & a 16" barrel. Removing a short barrel from an SBR, while it doesn't take it off the NFA registry is technically not an SBR. I read this on the ATF site not too long ago.

I believe this is incorrect.

Once a lower is registered as an SBR, its always an SBR, regardless of how long the barrel on the upper is. I'm still relatively new to all these new regs, but that is how it was once explained to me.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I believe this is incorrect.

Once a lower is registered as an SBR, its always an SBR, regardless of how long the barrel on the upper is. I'm still relatively new to all these new regs, but that is how it was once explained to me.

From here:
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns

Q: If I remove the short barrel from my SBR or SBS, may I move the firearm across state lines without the submission of ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport or to Temporarily Export Certain Firearms?

If the registrant retains control over the parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm is still be subject to all requirements of the NFA. ATF recommends contacting law enforcement officials in the destination state to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Swap out the short barrel then sell it to me for $1. I'll sell it back to you when you get back to Indiana. Promise. :cool:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Interesting! Thanks for the link Hop!

Here is the part that interests me:

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

So in lovemachine's case, could he simply register his current RRA as an SBR, retain his 16" upper, and then purchase a short (SBR) upper? Then, if he wanted to "de-NFA" it, he would need to "sell" his short upper to a family member while he traveled with his 16" upper? :n00b:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom