• Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Another good reason to carry CONCEALED versus OPEN

Imagine if this guy had been going into a bank???

Sometimes we have to remember others are NOT comfortable with guns and overreact. You may have the RIGHT to carry openly, but it can possibly make your life MUCH more complicated in a hurry!

Vanguard.45

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    :nuts:

It's people like this lady that we (the public) should be afraid of...

A Ford Fiesta, a Carhartt vest, and a box of 40 S&W on the dashboard. If that doesn't scream criminal I don't know what does.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan

Sometimes we have to remember others are NOT comfortable with guns and overreact. You may have the RIGHT to carry openly, but it can possibly make your life MUCH more complicated in a hurry!

Vanguard.45
    I'll tell you what's complicated. DYING.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    One officer in that recording almost sounded perturbed and disappointed when he said "he's got it open on his leg under open carry law".

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    "Her" name is redacted, but "his" license plate is mentioned on the tape? Did I hear that part right?

Quick Thread Jack, who do people care about covering a license plate number? I see it all the time in photos, etc?

Just curious becuase I can drive through the parking lot and see the numbers myself.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan

Vanguard.45
    Do armed security guards and police carry guns into banks? Are you uncomfortable with that? If not, then your problem isn't guns, your problem is with your fellow man. Now that we all know that you distrust us and would like for us to move to another state, I think we can get on with the thread without your pedantic opinions.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

Vanguard.45

I OC everyday. no problems. I dont give a crap about what people think or if they wanna storm out in fear, although ive never seen it happen. Im much more comfortable when i see a citizen carrying a gun than when i see a police officer carrying one. because when i see a citizen i dont have to wonder what alterior agenda they may have.

my life is already complicated because of people walking around with attitudes like yours. and also gang bangers with guns who dont give a crap about being legal or not. also when im walking around in a store, im more concerned with and on guard for a dumb woman hitting me with a grocery cart and not even caring about it.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    WOW, hold on just a minute

Shots fired!

How did you get from my post I am against guns or carrying or I distrust you or wish you would move or anything else?

Also, using the word pedantic is a bit. . . pedantic, don't you think?

The point of my post was that this guy complicated his OWN life a bit by loading his gun out in the view of a public who makes silly calls to the police like the one the lady did!

For me, concealed carry makes a LOT more sense because it avoids such complications. Feel free to carry however you like. Open carry just sometimes causes these "misunderstandings."

My comment about the bank was intended to help you avoid going to the bank and then exiting the bank only to find it surrounded by police pointing THEIR weapons at YOU because some imbecile (another pedantic word) calls 911 and says "I just saw a guy load a gun, walk into the bank with the gun, and I think he might be planning to rob it." That's all I'm wanting you to consider might (and does) happen if you go around exhibiting a weapon to the slightly (read "very") paranoid among us.

I have worked in both local and federal law enforcement and know these sorts of things happen more than you might imagine. I am just offering a perspective and am glad to live in a free state.

I am a STRONG supporter of the right to carry, and would appreciate not having names called or implications being leveled toward me which do not apply.

Thank you.

Vanguard.45

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    This is what the "cell phone era" has done for us. I have a scanner, and enjoy it immensely. Listening has brought to my attention the incredible amount of wasted man (or woman) hours that go into dealing with people that might be better off with a MYOB attitude. From alleged verbal disturbances that take place in ones homes (you and your wife are no longer allowed to argue), to alleged reckless driving complaints because someone is doing 5 over the limit, to the one i heard over the weekend where an officer was dispatched because a solicitor came to the lady's door and she was uncomfortable because he was black. I understand that every call must be responded to, and there is probably a small portion of these that are legitimate, BUT IMO there are people out there that get off by calling the police for every little thing that they see that makes them uncomfortable or unhappy. Maybe it is a power trip, I don't know. All I can tell you is that if I were to call something in, I would do it with good reason, and wait there until the officer arrived, so I could explain to them why I did what I did.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    MI gun laws are quite different than IN. You do not need a license to open carry in MI; however you do to conceal carry.

Carrying a loaded weapon in your car is considered concealed carry in MI. So the fellow OCer who was harrassed by that gaggle of idiots had no choice but to load his gun after he exited the vehicle.

Figured a former super guru law enforcement type would have known that already. But then knowledge of the actual laws doesn't concern most LEOs once they've made their judgement.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I completely agree with you, Keymaster

and it is why I choose to carry concealed.

The gun carrier who had the cops called on him was a victim, but his victimhood could have been potentialy avoided by not drawing attention to himself (though unintentionally) and to the fact he was carrying a gun.

Lots of people move to my area from Chicago, and many of them have never seen a person besides a uniformed police officer carrying a gun openly in their lives. They tend to freak out at the sight of a gun. And yes, maybe they should stay in Chicago.

And yes, it is their ignorance that is the problem, but their problem can potentially cause me lots of problems if even for but a few minutes if I allow it through my choices and manner of carry. I just like avoiding the drama.

I guess I liken people with the NEED to carry open and the NEED to flaunt their guns to the sheep with the Gay Pride Parades where people FLAUNT their homosexuality. Yes, they have the RIGHT to flaunt it, but most "normal" and less flamboyant gays seem to resent the display.

I don't resent people's choices to carry openly, and I don't wish they would stop carrying openly, but I do think there are inherent reisks in doing so as this 911 call illustrates.

Your mileage (and choices) may vary. Thank God for living in the FREE state of Indiana!

Vanguard.45

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    MI gun laws are quite different than IN. You do not need a license to open carry in MI; however you do to conceal carry.

Carrying a loaded weapon in your car is considered concealed carry in MI. So the fellow OCer who was harrassed by that gaggle of idiots had no choice but to load his gun after he exited the vehicle.

Figured a former super guru law enforcement type would have known that already. But then knowledge of the actual laws doesn't concern most LEOs once they've made their judgement.

SWEET! you guys have started two long-running arugments in the same thread, the OC vs CC argurment and the JBT argument. this outta be good.:popcorn:

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What's with the attacks, Demo?

I never claimed to be a "super guru law enforcement type" and the crack about not being concerned with the law because we do what we want without regard to the law was a cheap shot.

I was not familiar with the Michigan Law regarding open vs. concealed carry and how the vehicle fits into the equation as I have never been a resident or a state/ local officer in Michigan. I am familiar with federal regulations and the regulations in another state altogether.

The gun carrier was a victim in this situation, and the Michigan laws should be changed to avoid such "misunderstandings" in the future.

I also never said I was a "former" anything.

Vanguard.45

And sorry for getting back into the CC vs. OC thing again, as I know it's a dead horse. This thread, though, does reflect some of the potential consequences of open carry when the sheeple get stirred up. Nothing against it, but sometimes this stuff happens.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I never claimed to be a "super guru law enforcement type" and the crack about not being concerned with the law because we do what we want without regard to the law was a cheap shot.

I was not familiar with the Michigan Law regarding open vs. concealed carry and how the vehicle fits into the equation as I have never been a resident or a state/ local officer in Michigan. I am familiar with federal regulations and the regulations in another state altogether.

The gun carrier was a victim in this situation, and the Michigan laws should be changed to avoid such "misunderstandings" in the future.

I also never said I was a "former" anything.

Vanguard.45

And sorry for getting back into the CC vs. OC thing again, as I know it's a dead horse. This thread, though, does reflect some of the potential consequences of open carry when the sheeple get stirred up. Nothing against it, but sometimes this stuff happens.
    If you have nothing against it, then quit harping about it. You've made several posts in several threads about how complicated things can get when you OC. Do you want us to give you applause for not supporting something you weren't asked to support?

Top Bottom