• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not much stranger than what AOC, Omar or even Pelosi says.....well, ok; this gent does have a few points. We need to stock up on eggs!
    Yes. AOC says crazy stuff. I’m not going to pelt her with eggs. That’s a silly way to rebut her nonsense. The kid who hit that Aussie Senator with an egg became a hero to no one but shallow ideologues. An egg to the head doesn’t rebut the crazy. It only displays contempt for the person. It doesn’t explain why the ideas are wrong.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. AOC says crazy stuff. I’m not going to pelt her with eggs. That’s a silly way to rebut her nonsense. The kid who hit that Aussie Senator with an egg became a hero to no one but shallow ideologues. An egg to the head doesn’t rebut the crazy. It only displays contempt for the person. It doesn’t explain why the ideas are wrong.
    Ideologies aside... wouldn't you like to pelt her with eggs just a little bit? :):

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The kid who hit that Aussie Senator with an egg became a hero to no one but shallow ideologues. An egg to the head doesn’t rebut the crazy. It only displays contempt for the person. It doesn’t explain why the ideas are wrong.

Reminds me of the scene in Jeremiah Johnson, where Johnson refuses to lead the soldiers and rescue party through the Indian burial grounds, since the Indians say it's guarded by spirits.

The Reverend says "Surely you don't believe that, Mr. Johnson?"

Johnson replies "It doesn't matter; they do."

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

That's the irony of it all....it can be seen at many angles involving this whole situation.

Although, smashing a few eggs on an empty cranial might be fun......allot of fun.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I admire the sentiment, but... when you play legality games, the prizes can be painful.

What legality games? He's a citizen of a foreign country, with a website owned and hosted in a foreign country. The NZ police have no jurisdiction.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I admire the sentiment, but... when you play legality games, the prizes can be painful.

I don't see how NZ Police have many options here. It's not illegal here to post that stuff. And I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for an American not living in NZ to tell NZ police to **** right off.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What legality games? He's a citizen of a foreign country, with a website owned and hosted in a foreign country. The NZ police have no jurisdiction.

:)

Nice theory.

Let's say distributing murder pr0n is criminalized in NZ. And our young American friend continues to host the murder pr0n on his site accessible to NZers. Then, NZ decides to charge him with distributing murder pr0n and asks the US for his extradition.

There's a treaty between the US and NZ that allows for extradition. That may or may not apply - we don't really know yet.

But, the exercise in finding out would be expensive. And subject to certain political whims beyond young Josh's control.

ETA:
    I don't see how NZ Police have many options here. It's not illegal here to post that stuff. And I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for an American not living in NZ to tell NZ police to **** right off.

I didn't say it was illegal here. I said (paraphrasing myself) that the participation trophy for playing the game with NZ could be painful. Painfully expensive, if they want to press the issue.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    :)

Nice theory.

Let's say distributing murder pr0n is criminalized in NZ. And our young American friend continues to host the murder pr0n on his site accessible to NZers. Then, NZ decides to charge him with distributing murder pr0n and asks the US for his extradition.

There's a treaty between the US and NZ that allows for extradition. That may or may not apply - we don't really know yet.

But, the exercise in finding out would be expensive. And subject to certain political whims beyond young Josh's control.

ETA:

I didn't say it was illegal here. I said (paraphrasing myself) that the participation trophy for playing the game with NZ could be painful. Painfully expensive, if they want to press the issue.

I would have to agree. Although I sure he felt really good for a minute thumbing his virtual nose at the NZ police, but as T.Lex observes, it can be painful and expensive to take something like this on legally.

Especially in a high profile case where all reasonable people agree the incident is horrific and needs to be fully investigated.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Based on past (maybe current?) US practice, spreading violent propaganda could make someone worthy of a drone-strike assassination. No trial even necessary.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think that extradition for posting stuff that NZ doesn't like is highly unlikely. If breaking censorship laws in other countries gives those countries reach into the US, we're ****ed.

But. Although I really do like his "**** you" message when wannabe despots from tiny little nobody countries try to censor free speech in the USA, I'd caution about making this guy a hero. Not sure if any of the pedo claims against him are true, it appears he's quite an ******* regardless.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that extradition for posting stuff that NZ doesn't like is highly unlikely.

Seems like an expensive bet. But then, my risk-benefit analysis is probably going to differ in many ways to that of a millenial 8chan devotee.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think that extradition for posting stuff that NZ doesn't like is highly unlikely. If breaking censorship laws in other countries gives those countries reach into the US, we're ****ed.

But. Although I really do like his "**** you" message when wannabe despots from tiny little nobody countries try to censor free speech in the USA, I'd caution about making this guy a hero. Not sure if any of the pedo claims against him are true, it appears he's quite an ******* regardless.

Very few situations call for being a complete ******* when dealing with others. For many good reasons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Based on past (maybe current?) US practice, spreading violent propaganda could make someone worthy of a drone-strike assassination. No trial even necessary.

I think in this case it's clearly public interest news. I haven't watched the video, and I really don't care to as it'll just raise my blood pressure, I do want to read the manifesto. I think people have a right to that information. Lots of news outlets are telling us what it says, and often the information is contradictory. We should be able to read it for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Very few situations call for being a complete ******* when dealing with others. For many good reasons.

I'm okay with him being at least a little bit of an ******* to people who have the audacity to try to impose their laws on people from other sovereignty. I mean, it's not like he cracked an egg on their bald ass heads, or punched them in the face. He just told them to **** off. I can support him in that, while disagreeing with him on the other ******* things he does.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think in this case it's clearly public interest news. I haven't watched the video, and I really don't care to as it'll just raise my blood pressure, I do want to read the manifesto. I think people have a right to that information. Lots of news outlets are telling us what it says, and often the information is contradictory. We should be able to read it for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.

Personally, we are of like mind.

Clearly, though, the gov't of NZ has a different set of priorities. They appear to have a broader censorship law than we do (I can't really tell) and are moving quite quickly toward additional gun regulations, perhaps even prohibitions.

More generally, actively trolling a sovereign nation, when they are already paying attention to you, is probably not wise.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Personally, we are of like mind.

Clearly, though, the gov't of NZ has a different set of priorities. They appear to have a broader censorship law than we do (I can't really tell) and are moving quite quickly toward additional gun regulations, perhaps even prohibitions.

More generally, actively trolling a sovereign nation, when they are already paying attention to you, is probably not wise.

Like I said, I doubt extradition would go anywhere. I suppose they could try to sue him for something in US courts, but I don't see a win there except to make him spend money on lawyers, which he could easily pay for by opening up some kind of gofundme-esque pity fund.

Probably the best they could do is dig up **** on him, get the mob after him, and get him socially canceled. That's a more realistic possibility.

Top Bottom