• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Look like a tough guy 101

Denounce, drop bombs, but keep boots off the ground. Nevermind that no real military purpose is serve. The President gets to look like he's doing something without the bad pub that body bags bring.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My recollection of history is failing me. Can anyone think of a time that this kind of air-only strategy was ultimately successful?

The closest I can come up with is the Berlin airlift. But, even that, was a VERY different scenario.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My recollection of history is failing me. Can anyone think of a time that this kind of air-only strategy was ultimately successful?

The closest I can come up with is the Berlin airlift. But, even that, was a VERY different scenario.
    That would assume there was an "air only" strategy going on. Looks like it's air support for Iraqi and peshmerga troops on the ground, too. So, there is also a ground element here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Can't do it in Civ V with just air or just sea. Have to have at least one ground unit to enter the city for capture/razing when it's defense gets low enough.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. Let's focus on the Peshmerga, unless you think the Iraqi army has suddenly found some zeal for combat.

I'm having trouble thinking of an example of US-air-only assets successfully helping an indigenous force.

Vietnam? (There, I said it.) Various banana republics? Iraqi no-fly zones?

Look, I'm open to enlightenment on this. Or is there something different about the Kurds that we think will work now?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ok. Let's focus on the Peshmerga, unless you think the Iraqi army has suddenly found some zeal for combat.

I'm having trouble thinking of an example of US-air-only assets successfully helping an indigenous force.

Vietnam? (There, I said it.) Various banana republics? Iraqi no-fly zones?

Look, I'm open to enlightenment on this. Or is there something different about the Kurds that we think will work now?

The no fly zones over Iraq did work as they planned, in the south and the Kurdish north. You're still assuming no boots on the ground, when there are boots on the ground. Just not American boots. I would hope that while all this is going on, (and Obama has said it will likely be a matter of months that it continues) plans are being made for other forces to mobilise. I'd like to see Turkey, Iran, Saudi, Kuwait and the others get their collective **** together and send expeditionary forces to Iraq to take on these guys. Sad to say, I don't think they'll do anything till the IS is on THEIR doorsteps. Till then, it's up to the Kurds, Shiites and Iranians.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The no fly zones over Iraq did work as they planned, in the south and the Kurdish north.

Actually, I think the Kurds and the Shia in the south would have a different recollection of whether they worked. Any other examples?

Regardless, I agree that it will take more than an American presence. Those other countries should participate. But, and this will likely be unpopular, the US should be prepared to proceed alone if necessary.

The exit strategy should be what it (in retrospect) should have been 10 years ago - 3 countries: Kurdistan, Central Iraq, and Southern Iraq. If nothing else, the latter 2 will be proxies for other nations to protect.

Top Bottom