• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    FWIW, you can also export your Firefox bookmarks to other browsers as well, should you have occasion to use them.
    Google Chrome will offer to do it automatically for you the first time you start it, and you can use the export bookmarks to HTML feature within Firefox to allow you to import them to other browsers, Opera and Seamonkey being two examples.
    Dunno if you have Netflix, but the only way to watch Netflix movies within Linux without having to run Virtualbox or something else to emulate Windows within Linux is with Google Chrome.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FWIW, you can also export your Firefox bookmarks to other browsers as well, should you have occasion to use them.
    Google Chrome will offer to do it automatically for you the first time you start it, and you can use the export bookmarks to HTML feature within Firefox to allow you to import them to other browsers, Opera and Seamonkey being two examples.
    Dunno if you have Netflix, but the only way to watch Netflix movies within Linux without having to run Virtualbox or something else to emulate Windows within Linux is with Google Chrome.
    I don't have Netflix (yet anyhow) but that's a shame. I hate Chrome. Can't find anything on it. I guess I'm too used to Firefox and IE.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't have Netflix (yet anyhow) but that's a shame. I hate Chrome. Can't find anything on it. I guess I'm too used to Firefox and IE.

One of the things you have to deal with when switching to a new OS- figuring out how to do things you are used to in Windows. For example, you can't play DVDs by default. Linux is centered around free (both no-charge and no-restrictions) software. Commercial/non-free license software is available, but generally not included by default. DVDs have designed-in restrictions (for example, copy and region restrictions). However, the software is available and easy to install to play the DVDs. I recommend the VLC player, though you can use the default Totem player as well. I don't use Netflix, so I wasn't even aware that there was a restriction there. However, when you bump into such a problem, a quick search of the web should help you figure out how to handle it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not sure about other distros, but for Slackware you want to go to linuxquestions.org for help. There is a separate forum for most flavors. Just search for the answer to most issues. If that doesn't help then post a question. It is a friendly group. In Slackware's case, most of the recognized experts hang there, even the founder and developer, Patrick Volkerding.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OK, it ask if I want to download the regular or premium version, I didn't see an answer in FAQ'S.
    I've read through the users guide and I have it on stand-by.
    Do I download LiLi first?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I downloaded LiLi, selected theUSBkey, choose linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" (Cinnamon) DVD. Question, Manually or Automatic?
    Persistance? I guess I should go the maximum, 2GB? New 16GB thumb drive.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I downloaded LiLi, selected theUSBkey, choose linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" (Cinnamon) DVD. Question, Manually or Automatic?
    Persistance? I guess I should go the maximum, 2GB? New 16GB thumb drive.

Sorry, fell asleep studying... :xmad:

Choose automatic and it'll download the ISO for you and burn it to the thumb drive. Also, 2GB should be fine. Gives you plenty of room to store stuff while you're testing the OS out :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I installed "Bleach" last night, which is the Linux equivalent of CCleaner, and is available in the Software Manager. Seemed to work pretty well. Even though I'm still working off the thumb drive, I figured it couldn't hurt to keep it cleaned up. :)

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Linux mint cinnamon would n'the download, says check Internet connection.
    Confirmed connection was working.
    What other version should I try, there are a ton of them?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Try and download it from one of the other mirrors. I started the download a few times before I found a mirror that was nice and quick.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Just confirming you are using the right procedure: You downloaded LiLi and installed it on your computer, then ran LiLi to download the Linux image and setup your USB stick, right?

There are many Linux flavors out there, so feel free to try something else if you want, but I'd stick to one of the major ones to start with as it will be easier to find support and get questions answered. You can find which Linux distributions are most popular here.

I installed "Bleach" last night, which is the Linux equivalent of CCleaner, and is available in the Software Manager. Seemed to work pretty well. Even though I'm still working off the thumb drive, I figured it couldn't hurt to keep it cleaned up. :)

Cool. Hadn't seen that software before. I've added it to my privacy/security tool set.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

You could also download it straight from the MInt site: Download - Linux Mint. I'd recommend the 64 bit flavor of 17.2 with Cinnamon. Then when you use LiLi, just select image and point it to the file you downloaded. It'll come up with an error about nothing for that particular ISO, but it'll use the settings for 17.1, which should be fine.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    On the Linux site the latest version is Linux Mint, "Rafaela" and that's the one I selected from US Internet mirror site.
    Still downloading at 5:20 edst.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Rafaela (v17.2) is the latest version, so that is good. When you download a Linux distribution, you generally get it from a random mirror site. Some are *much* faster than others. You can either continue with the current slow download or try a different mirror site. You will get it either way.

Top Bottom