• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It should run Linux Mint just fine. Look back where Pudly and I were discussing it with DoggyDaddy. I posted a link to a Live USB creator, which will let you create a boot USB drive to run Linux Mint (or another distro) to test it out, no installation required. If you don't like it, you're only out a bit of time. The laptop I'm typing this up on is an old Gateway gaming laptop with 4MB of RAM. It's a little newer than what you have, as it came with Vista. I've been running it with Linux Mint the last couple of years and I've been very happy with it.

I see it, (post # 76) but I'll have to get a bigger thumb drive (8 gig I see) then I'll give it a try.
    I have an external hard drive also as a backup.
    I like it that I can try it first without changing my present system.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I see it, (post # 76) but I'll have to get a bigger thumb drive (8 gig I see) then I'll give it a try.

That's one of the great things about it, yes. Also, if you have a 4GB USB drive, you might try that. I could swear that's what I used.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

You don't need anything beyond the thumb drive to test drive Linux. No need for a spare hard drive.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Did someone say Linux?

linux%20tux%20penguins%201024x768%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperto.com_65.jpg

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a four year old laptop that I use most of the time. The hard drive is molasses slow,so I found a used SSD and will be installing using Linux Mint when it arrives in a few days. I have never used Linux more than a few days at a time, so I am excited to see how this goes.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The only one I have right now is a 256 mb.

Yeah, that won't work. Get a 4GB or 8GB drive and you'll be set.

I have a four year old laptop that I use most of the time. The hard drive is molasses slow,so I found a used SSD and will be installing using Linux Mint when it arrives in a few days. I have never used Linux more than a few days at a time, so I am excited to see how this goes.

Mint is very easy to use. I think you'll be happy with it.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    The great thing about Linux is the community based support. Have an issue? An error? Google it! Most things you can resolve yourself quite quickly if you encounter an issue. Otherwise you can hop on the official IRC channel for whatever distribution you're using and someone there can probably help you out as well.

That is also what I love about Linux server management. Can copy/paste an error or parts of an error from the terminal if you're messing around via CLI or from the error dialog box into Google and usually find the solution quickly as it's probably been reported by someone else or can just read documentation otherwise.

It's really come a long way over the years and driver support is so much better than it used to be. I honestly can not remember the last piece of (desktop) software I paid for... everything I need for a desktop computer at home is free, fast, and secure.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Doggy, I think you'll find yourself loving Linux more the longer you use it.
    The nice thing is that you can even keep your Windows partition there and set up with dual boot.
    btw...I've been a Linux user for right at twenty years straight now, currently with Slackware64-bit on my Asus laptop.
    I still have a Windows partition for the very rare software that hasn't been ported to Linux, but I almost never boot to it, and my default is auto boot to Linux.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doggy, I think you'll find yourself loving Linux more the longer you use it.
    The nice thing is that you can even keep your Windows partition there and set up with dual boot.
    btw...I've been a Linux user for right at twenty years straight now, currently with Slackware64-bit on my Asus laptop.
    I still have a Windows partition for the very rare software that hasn't been ported to Linux, but I almost never boot to it, and my default is auto boot to Linux.

I'm 99% sure this is the way I'm going to go. On a related note, I have a lot of bookmarks (gun, reloading, assembly/disassembly stuff) on my Firefox browser in Windows. Does anyone know if there is a way to export those bookmarks from my Windows version to my Linux version? Or am I just going to have to copy/paste them into an email to myself and add them to the Linux version manually?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm 99% sure this is the way I'm going to go. On a related note, I have a lot of bookmarks (gun, reloading, assembly/disassembly stuff) on my Firefox browser in Windows. Does anyone know if there is a way to export those bookmarks from my Windows version to my Linux version? Or am I just going to have to copy/paste them into an email to myself and add them to the Linux version manually?

I don't recall where the firefox bookmarks are stored, but if you enable sync on firefox under windows, when you login to linux and enable it, I believe it will bring over all of your bookmarks.

Just did a Google search and found this, hopefully one of the options helps:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't recall where the firefox bookmarks are stored, but if you enable sync on firefox under windows, when you login to linux and enable it, I believe it will bring over all of your bookmarks.

Just did a Google search and found this, hopefully one of the options helps:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them
    Thanks! I'm trying it now. I'm in Linux at the moment, so I will check to see if they make it over here or if I need to go back to Windows to finish the process. :)

Top Bottom