• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You can sue Indy today saying that an officer you spoke to had bad breath and they'll pay you thousands to not not pay tens of thousands to fight it. There are several recent cases where folks collected even though there were no wrong doings on the part of the police. Remember Brandon Johnson?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Now you've shown your true colors, and exposed yourself to be the root of the problem. You and many of your kind view the PUBLIC as criminals. This is the very essence of the police "US VS THEM" mentality. Makes it easy to rationalize killing an unarmed juvenile after manufacturing the whole encounter yourself doesn't it? After all, the kid WAS A CRIMINAL. You did pick him right out of a known group of CRIMINALS....... He was a member of the general PUBLIC wasn't he?

The sad thing is that you won't even comprehend the impact of what you just said and how it looks to the very people who employ you. The damage you just did is incredible and the other LEOs here should PM you to tell you to just shut up before you alienate the entire PUBLIC. The huge strides that INGO members such as Denny, BehindBlueEyes, Phylodog and several others have made to bring understanding and cooperation between police and the PUBLIC goes right into the gutter as you identify who the criminals actually are. You have met the enemy and he is US, the PUBLIC.

Further, let's again go to our local expert for a quote; "anyone who assaults and batters a person, whether LEO or not, is a criminal." Why then are YOU defending a criminal? Here we have A LEO assaulting a person. First with his firearm, then with his taser. Why are you then defending a criminal, Whether he is a LEO or not? The juvenile had not offered any PHYSICAL resistance until he was ASSAULTED by a man with a taser despite being threatened by a handgun, made to lie in the dirt at gunpoint while a grown man climbs on top of him. It was the taser that provoked the "attack" (defense?) made by this kid.

See........ Now, as I knew I would be if I allowed myself to get into this, I am pi$$ed. I even said up-thread that I should sit this one out but Frank and KG1 goaded me to go ahead and express myself as a true patriot. Casting pearls before swine........ Then I get angry to see all the SWINE. (see what I did there? I can be subtle too Frank! No frank, you are not the one I am calling swine)

I am out, before I say what I really think...... Going back to my criminal activities as a member of the PUBLIC. 'Later.

Overreact much? Talk about excessive force! Go ahead, interpret what I said however you please. I can see that you're going to fire yourself up no matter what I say. I said the criminals are the public. Somehow, you heard me say that the public are criminals. I did not say that, nor do I believe that.

The conversation was about how if the officer hadn't made the traffic stop, the kid would be alive. I made an absurd suggestion that maybe we should just stop interacting with the public, which includes criminals. It would save lives, after all. Well, maybe not, but we wouldn't be the ones doing the killing, and that's apparently what matters.

The traffic stop, legal or not, does not give anyone the right to physically attack an LEO.

The kid would still be alive if he was compliant. I'm not saying "YOU MUST OBEY," but seriously, that's a fight you will lose. Fight it in court, not in the street. I'm a firm believer in the Constitution, and if you feel your rights are being violated, by all means, take that officer and his department to court. By no means should you start swinging fists. You will lose, and you could lose everything.

We have the mindset of, "I will go home tonight." Why don't more people adopt that attitude?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Having your brights on within 500ft of oncoming traffic is illegal, there is no duration attached to the code. High beam are either on or off. Hence, illegal.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=32217

Traffic Talk: When should you turn on headlights, high beams and blinkers? | MLive.com
    "Michigan law prevents motorists from using high beams when there is an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, but in the absence of approaching traffic, nothing in the law specifically prevents drivers from flashing vehicles that are travelling in the same direction."

Legal.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know that there is 100% right or wrong in this situation. The kid clearly had an attitude and while trying in a belligerent manner to protect his rights, which I agree with, he didn't know where to go from there when things didn't go his way.

I am left wondering whether the kids reaction while on the ground and POST being tasered was true aggression or simply a natural and understandable "fight or flight?" I don't know. The reason I question this is because the kid was not physically aggressive and, while obnoxious, did comply with all lawful orders UNTIL the officer put his hands upon the kid to handcuff him.

We all have this instinctual reaction. Imagine walking past a protest somewhere, not participating or even watching AND moving to avoid it, when things start to get out of hand and all of a sudden from out of nowhere an officer is physically pushing you to the ground all the time saying, "get down, get down, get down on the ground." Justified? Of course not. Yet if you naturally resist and wind up getting tasered or shot, would it still be, "play stupid games and win stupid prizes" because, after-all, you were resisting? Now this isn't a completely accurate analogy, but at the same time given only a few seconds to make decisions we don't always make the best ones.

Was the shooting legal? Barring any evidence to the contrary I believe so. From the video I cannot tell if the kid "attacked" the officer, but without evidence to the contrary I will take the officers word for it, just as I did from George Zimmerman. Even if the officer was wrong in initiating contact he appeared to be acting within the scope of his authority and from that point on it was incumbent upon both sides to behave legally and appropriately. If he was wrong the kid should have cooperated and won bunches of money later in a civil trial. That said, perhaps some remedial training should be required to try to avoid such problems in the future.

Regards,

Doug

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Very interesting thread. I pray the child's family is able to find peace and those investigating the officer's actions will get to the bottom of it.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I will ask again. Why are so many people flashing their light at the LEO on that night. He pulled over 2 others for flashing their lights before he pulled over the kid.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I will ask again. Why are so many people flashing their light at the LEO on that night. He pulled over 2 others for flashing their lights before he pulled over the kid.

Probably had his high beams on. That's what the kid told him.

The issue at hand is whether the shooting was justified. It was. The events leading up to that are, in this case, insignificant.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The free talk live (cop block radio on 93.1) yesterday were talking about how they were all driving around without a headlight trying to get pulled over. They planned on "trolling" the cop, recording him, and making him replace the bad bulb with a working one as he is a "servant". When they got pulled over Ademo (cop block uber douche) learned he had a warrant out of noblesville. The kid may have been engaging in a similar tactic as they were promoting doing similar actions to police as they drove across the US.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The free talk live (cop block radio on 93.1) yesterday were talking about how they were all driving around without a headlight trying to get pulled over. They planned on "trolling" the cop, recording him, and making him replace the bad bulb with a working one as he is a "servant". When they got pulled over Ademo (cop block uber douche) learned he had a warrant out of noblesville. The kid may have been engaging in a similar tactic as they were promoting doing similar actions to police as they drove across the US.

?
    How do you make a cop change a light bulb.
    ?
    I'm confused.

Top Bottom