• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sorry to slightly derail the thread guys. :)
    The Desert Storm/Shield reference had me a bit nostalgic.
    One day, I'll create a new thread, a continuation of my "Last Dance of the Thresher" thread. Maybe "Tales from Davey Jones Locker" or something like that.
    And jamil... no cell phones in the 80s. Can't get "buzzed from work".
    I've missed some good threads also. Don't know how that happens. I swear you could live here, and still miss stuff.
    As for where they bury radioactive reactor operators....
    This is where we go to die.
    0857524.jpg
    No problem here. I wasn't intending to bust you. My comment about "submarine talk"was more of a tongue and cheek preface regarding another comment. I like your insight regarding your Navy experiences. I've probably been guilty of derailing a thread from time to time with far more useless stuff then you post. This thread could be one of those times. ;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey. Whadkyouknow. I have something in common with someone well regarded. I said that to ATM too. I even missed the infamous "wallet" thread. Sometimes I'll just look at a thread title and think, meh. That thread will never be interesting.

speaking of interesting, I am growing tired of this conversation. I'm kinda digging the submarine stuff.

[video=youtube;ah65tYujuTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah65tYujuTM[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One day, I'll create a new thread, a continuation of my "Last Dance of the Thresher" thread. Maybe "Tales from Davey Jones Locker" or something like that.
    I've missed some good threads also. Don't know how that happens. I swear you could live here, and still miss stuff.
    http://navsource.org/archives/08/100/0857524.jpg

One of the "dumbest" guys I know was a submariner. When I met him, he was a cook at a bar. Nice enough, but I had a hard time seeing how someone would trust him with sharp objects. One day we got to talking about his time in the Navy, and he started talking this high end nuclear atomic talk, that I could only recognize certain words. For everything that this guy didn't know, he KNEW nuclear reactors.... and I'm talking like at an incredibly high level. I told the guy he was wasting his talent working in a kitchen. I harped on him trying to get another, that he eventually asked me to help him look. I got a friend who worked a nuclear power plant to talk to him, and the kid ended up getting a job in Virginia doing the thing he loves. He still hasn't sent me a finder's fee check.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of the "dumbest" guys I know was a submariner. When I met him, he was a cook at a bar. Nice enough, but I had a hard time seeing how someone would trust him with sharp objects. One day we got to talking about his time in the Navy, and he started talking this high end nuclear atomic talk, that I could only recognize certain words. For everything that this guy didn't know, he KNEW nuclear reactors.... and I'm talking like at an incredibly high level. I told the guy he was wasting his talent working in a kitchen. I harped on him trying to get another, that he eventually asked me to help him look. I got a friend who worked a nuclear power plant to talk to him, and the kid ended up getting a job in Virginia doing the thing he loves. He still hasn't sent me a finder's fee check.

Nukes are cheap bastards :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's why I said "buzz". I had to have a beeper in the 80s. Mostly I liked to put it in vibrate mode, put it in my front pocket and call myself a lot.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Seems that picture only comes out sometimes. WTF.

It's a bit sobering to learn of the fate of a ship on which you've served.
    I was part of the decommissioning crew, aka cosmoline coaters.

"The guided-missile destroyer Richard E. Byrd continued to serve until decommissioned on 27 April 1990. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1992 and officially transferred to the Hellenic Navy on 26 August 1993. The hulk was towed to Salamis, Greece, on 12 October 1993 where she was used for spare parts for the other four Charles F. Adams destroyers in Greek service."

ddg23_1.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sorry to threadjack this back to Megyn Kelly. ;)

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend that I wasn't particularly aware of. The 9:00 slot that was formerly the home of "The Kelly File" is a hybrid of opinion show and hard news. Also, maybe more importantly, the only primetime FNC show that is live.

Go Tucker Carlson!
    Tucker Carlson Gets Ready For Fox News Primetime Debut | Variety

[video=youtube;vmU2FR-vXJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmU2FR-vXJQ[/video]

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry to threadjack this back to Megyn Kelly. ;)

I heard an interesting tidbit over the weekend that I wasn't particularly aware of. The 9:00 slot that was formerly the home of "The Kelly File" is a hybrid of opinion show and hard news. Also, maybe more importantly, the only primetime FNC show that is live.

Go Tucker Carlson!
    Tucker Carlson Gets Ready For Fox News Primetime Debut | Variety

I would like to see Carlson make a good go of it. I'd like to see him cover more of the hard news, but he needs to be more intellectually honest about the issues. He can't keep trying to trap leftist guests with gotcha questions. I know the left media does this and they're losing their credibility because of it. Carlson's probably not lost all his yet. I'm not a big consumer of Fox News anyway but I do occasionally watch. Maybe some of you like to see nothing but pro-right propaganda and see your Fox heroes bait and ambush guests, and try to make fools of the . but I want to see an honest view of both sides. I'd rather see an honest argument against what the left really believes and not just a straw facsimile.

But so far Carlson has mostly been a "Piers Morgan", albeit more intelligent, for the right.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You should watch more Fox News. Might have a better perspective of it for accurate commentary that way? :dunno:
    I think I watch enough of Fox News. But it seems we have a different reason for watching. I don't get my opinions about the world from the narrow experience of watching exclusively one network's spin on it. Even if I did, I think I am curious and skeptical enough to question what I'm being told without blindly following it.

I am pretty astonished that someone actually advocates that one can only gain the "right" perspective by watching FOX news. If you think your perspective is only right if you watch Fox News then, just, wow. Jeez. What's wrong with thinking for yourself? Why do you even need Fox News for perspective at all? How can you call everyone else sheep when you're a slave to the orthodoxy of one source? How can you possibly think that this is a "better" perspective?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I would like to see Carlson make a good go of it. I'd like to see him cover more of the hard news, but he needs to be more intellectually honest about the issues. He can't keep trying to trap leftist guests with gotcha questions. I know the left media does this and they're losing their credibility because of it. Carlson's probably not lost all his yet. I'm not a big consumer of Fox News anyway but I do occasionally watch. Maybe some of you like to see nothing but pro-right propaganda and see your Fox heroes bait and ambush guests, and try to make fools of the . but I want to see an honest view of both sides. I'd rather see an honest argument against what the left really believes and not just a straw facsimile.

But so far Carlson has mostly been a "Piers Morgan", albeit more intelligent, for the right.

Yeah but :)

I wonder how he and Reilly will get along. At the heart of it don't they both have the "no spin" show?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think I watch enough of Fox News. But it seems we have a different reason for watching. I don't get my opinions about the world from the narrow experience of watching exclusively one network's spin on it. Even if I did, I think I am curious and skeptical enough to question what I'm being told without blindly following it.

I am pretty astonished that someone actually advocates that one can only gain the "right" perspective by watching FOX news. If you think your perspective is only right if you watch Fox News then, just, wow. Jeez. What's wrong with thinking for yourself? Why do you even need Fox News for perspective at all? How can you call everyone else sheep when you're a slave to the orthodoxy of one source? How can you possibly think that this is a "better" perspective?

Just saying that if you actually watched the channel, you might know what you are talking about, in reference to the channel? :dunno:

No one is trying to move you away from your liberal news networks.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just saying that if you actually watched the channel, you might know what you are talking about, in reference to the channel? :dunno:

No one is trying to move you away from your liberal news networks.

Let's clear up some inaccuracies that you've assumed. When I say I don't consume Fox News very often, you're assuming 1) that I don't watch it enough to understand the hosts and the shows, and 2) that if I'm not consuming Fox News, I must be consuming nothing but liberal news. I hope by that you don't mean to imply that I am a liberal just because I dare to be critical of right-leaning media. I have no problem with calling my own side out when they deserve it. The positions I've taken on the issues should make it that very clear that I am most loyal to an individualist mindset.

Okay, so now, let me spell it out so that you can have an accurate understanding of what YOU'RE talking about. Here's the deal. I don't consume network news often. That doesn't mean never. It doesn't mean I don't watch Fox often enough to get a perspective on the shows. It doesn't mean I watch liberal news any more than FOX news. Don't make my statements say more than they say.

Now, that said, let's talk about Tucker Carlson. Since he got his show, I have watched that more than I've watched, say, O'Reilly, because initially I judged Carlson to be a pretty smart guy, who legitimately dismantles leftist arguments. But what I see is someone who does Piers Morgan hit style interviews. Maybe you like that kind of stuff. Maybe it feeds your bias. Maybe you just like seeing people be mean to Liberals for the sake of being mean rather than exposing the true weaknesses of their positions. But I'd rather see an honest journalist steel-man a guest's positions rather than seeing yet another biased journalist straw-man them. I don't care to have my ideology stroked.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah but :)

I wonder how he and Reilly will get along. At the heart of it don't they both have the "no spin" show?

Heh. Well, if they say so. I will say that O'Reily does try to cut in when guests continually try to spin the obvious as something else. But the alternative is often just his own spin. As far as Carlson, I'd like to see him do more of the thoughtful dismantling of actual points held. But Tucker seems to straw man with the best of them.

I heard a term a while back that I think is very good to bring into all political discussions. Rather than both sides building straw arguments, I'd rather both sides build steel man arguments. The former is where one sides builds a terrible representation of the other side's position so that they can easily tear it down. For example, Trumpers are racists, therefore it's okay to attack them. The latter is being honest in presenting the other side's argument, and trying to legitimately dismantle it with logical and reasonable points.

I am disappointed that Carlson doesn't do that. I've seen him do that, so I know he can. I kinda suspect that he was told or encouraged to be more rabidly adversarial for ratings. If you're not a hot blonde, that seems to sell better. Apparently.

Top Bottom