• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My dads brother (my uncle) was there. He was special forces so we never really knew what he was into anyways but we
    still watched. I was in middle school

The day Desert Shield became Desert Storm, I was walking through the PX with my mother and sister. For anybody that's been there, it's more like a mall that simply a one store PX. As we we're walking out of the PX, there I can smell smoke, and wondered if something was burning. As we turned the corner, there were a bunch of soldiers smoking with not so good looks on their faces, all crowded around the TVs watching the fireworks. Given the that Rucker is home to Army Aviation, and huge role it played in that role, most of the households were single parent. My dad had started his career with a war, did crap parallel duty in Korea, and was just when he was about to retire back home in Alabama, he ended his career with one more.

i never served with people who didn't want to go to war honestly (once I got to my unit). We chose our MOS and volunteered several times and went through hell on earth so we'd be the first ones in war against our nations enemies. We weren't mental we just were the trained killers the military needed us to be and working out and fighting each other only are fun for so long. However since I joined pre-9/11 (there was still active combat zones pre-9/11), many of the people who I went to basic with were in it just for the free college. Your comment reminded me of them and the same look they must have had on their faces when they found out it was time to earn that check they'd been cashing (direct depositing) lol.
    your dad sounds like someone I would have great respect for.

I was haze gray, and underway when they went from Shield to Storm.
    And even though everyone thinks if you're in the military, you know everything that goes on... you dont.
    You know your own little section of hell. And that's enough to worry about.
    Actaeon was in the Med, performing actions "In Support of Desert Shield/Storm".
    Which is a nice way of saying we missed the "Big Show".
    But that's okay.
    Turns out, the Med has a lot of countries that have to be looked at and checked out, to prevent potential allies from helping the "Bad Guys".
    So we had repeated episodes of the "Small Shows" that we still managed to risk life and limb, for God and Country.
    Subs are the ultimate stealth platform. But nothing in life is perfect. Especially when you're in a vessel built in the Kennedy Era, and you're playing games of "Sneak in to see the Farmer's Daughter" when the Farmer has a keen eye and a shotgun.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those of us sanctioned by Adam for perceived misbehavior were given a chance to post in a thread that we were wrong to support Trump and we would be redeemed. I ... declined. Less than a week later Trump won it all. No word escaped the anechoic chamber from those that were ... actually wrong
    Sanctioned? I think you guys use hyperbole so often you start to believe it. Or maybe I missed that thread. And apparently you missed the thread where I admitted I was wrong. I didn't think it was possible Trump could beat Hillary, even as bad as she was. But he did.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was haze gray, and underway when they went from Shield to Storm.
    And even though everyone thinks if you're in the military, you know everything that goes on... you dont.
    You know your own little section of hell. And that's enough to worry about.
    Actaeon was in the Med, performing actions "In Support of Desert Shield/Storm".
    Which is a nice way of saying we missed the "Big Show".
    But that's okay.
    Turns out, the Med has a lot of countries that have to be looked at and checked out, to prevent potential allies from helping the "Bad Guys".
    So we had repeated episodes of the "Small Shows" that we still managed to risk life and limb, for God and Country.
    Subs are the ultimate stealth platform. But nothing in life is perfect. Especially when you're in a vessel built in the Kennedy Era, and you're playing games of "Sneak in to see the Farmer's Daughter" when the Farmer has a keen eye and a shotgun.
    you had a cool job. I don't think you did but I hope you didn't take what I said as a dig against our brothers who served during "official" times of no war. We all know their was things popping off during those times just as much as are today. They just are still mostly classified.
    i was just poking at the members who joined thinking they wouldn't have to be in harms way. I never understood that mindset. Nor do I when civilians talk about the Cold War as if it was a safe time for our military. Because it wasn't.
    if you put on the uniform you must know or were willing to die for your country. Because you are a target.
    Pwople joining for the free ride get weeded out I hope. Because they put us all in danger.
    i have just as much respect for non theatre vets as I do ones in theatre or in combat. Deffinately.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    you had a cool job. I don't think you did but I hope you didn't take what I said as a dig against our brothers who served during "official" times of no war. We all know their was things popping off during those times just as much as are today. They just are still mostly classified.
    i was just poking at the members who joined thinking they wouldn't have to be in harms way. I never understood that mindset. Nor do I when civilians talk about the Cold War as if it was a safe time for our military. Because it wasn't.
    if you put on the uniform you must know or were willing to die for your country. Because you are a target.
    Pwople joining for the free ride get weeded out I hope. Because they put us all in danger.
    i have just as much respect for non theatre vets as I do ones in theatre or in combat. Deffinately.

We're all right TT. Right as rain.
    I'm just in the weird spot where some stories would be classified, some might be looked at with skepticism. After, all, how do I prove anything?

SSN-611 is on Wikipedia, and Dry Deck Shelters (DDS) - SEAL Delivery Vehicles (SDV) can be accessed on the internet. In my day, that was all super duper classified.

So, I try to talk about stuff I can find, so I can't be accused of distributing classified material.
    And I try not to bore too much.

In my day, we also had those that joined for school. Most of those were skimmer pukes. Airdales and bubbleheads tended to attract a different crowd.
    So different, bubbleheads had their own head doc (in port). Cry to a navy skimmer shrink, and he'd get all excited about "calculating stress levels". Bubblehead shrink would laugh and pat you on the head.
    Nukes had to interview shrink before training. I drew a stick figure picture of a family being stabbed to death. Guy didn't even bat an eye.

As for volunteering, I had to volunteer navy, then volunteer nuke, then volunteer submarines.
    So I get where you're coming from.
    We had a pretty anti-social group. But we all signed and put our hand up multiple times to get there.
    Then, I had to beg and find out about spec. ops subs, and volunteer again.
    Had to fill out my will before departure.

I went out with a woman asked why I joined.
    Patriotism
    Desire to serve, and protect.
    To be the point of the sword.
    To test myself.

She laughed, said, "how old fashioned".
    At that moment her beauty seemed to slip.

As for those talking about the safe cold war... take an "Uncontrolled Depth Excursion" on a sub.
    Read those words, think what they mean.
    Tell the SEAL we left in the Atlantic, unable to find him after a training accident.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We're all right TT. Right as rain.
    I'm just in the weird spot where some stories would be classified, some might be looked at with skepticism. After, all, how do I prove anything?

SSN-611 is on Wikipedia, and Dry Deck Shelters (DDS) - SEAL Delivery Vehicles (SDV) can be accessed on the internet. In my day, that was all super duper classified.

So, I try to talk about stuff I can find, so I can't be accused of distributing classified material.
    And I try not to bore too much.

In my day, we also had those that joined for school. Most of those were skimmer pukes. Airdales and bubbleheads tended to attract a different crowd.
    So different, bubbleheads had their own head doc (in port). Cry to a navy skimmer shrink, and he'd get all excited about "calculating stress levels". Bubblehead shrink would laugh and pat you on the head.
    Nukes had to interview shrink before training. I drew a stick figure picture of a family being stabbed to death. Guy didn't even bat an eye.

As for volunteering, I had to volunteer navy, then volunteer nuke, then volunteer submarines.
    So I get where you're coming from.
    We had a pretty anti-social group. But we all signed and put our hand up multiple times to get there.
    Then, I had to beg and find out about spec. ops subs, and volunteer again.
    Had to fill out my will before departure.

I went out with a woman asked why I joined.
    Patriotism
    Desire to serve, and protect.
    To be the point of the sword.
    To test myself.

She laughed, said, "how old fashioned".
    At that moment her beauty seemed to slip.

As for those talking about the safe cold war... take an "Uncontrolled Depth Excursion" on a sub.
    Read those words, think what they mean.
    Tell the SEAL we left in the Atlantic, unable to find him after a training accident.
    we aren't that different my friend. I am probably just louder :)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, people in my family joined.

Dad was a Coastie.
    Grandpa in Arty fighting Nazis.
    Pics from civil war (I think) with mustashed forefathers bearing arms.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also, people in my family joined.

Dad was a Coastie.
    Grandpa in Arty fighting Nazis.
    Pics from civil war (I think) with mustashed forefathers bearing arms.
    same here.
    Dad: navy, vietnam
    uncle 1: navy, vietnam
    uncle 2: marines, Vietnam (purple heart, bronze star with Combat V)
    uncle 3: army, Cold War, Grenada, gulf war 1 (PH, silver star, bronze star v)
    uncle 4: army, Cold War, Grenada
    uncle 5: army, Cold War, gulf war 1, Bosnia, Kosovo
    grandpa1: army, Korea
    grandpa2: army, WWII
    Great grandpa: WWI
    3rd GG: civil war, union army, Purple Heart
    ? GG: civil war, confederate army (i think he was also 3rd GG but not positive without looking)
    then I had 3 ancestors in the revolution. I proudly named my son after one of them who was my 5th great grandfather. One was bayoneted by the British and escaped capture. 2 of them knew George Washington. One of them went on to fight in the war of 1812 with his son and they were friends with Daniel Boone.
    related to George Washington on my mothers side.

Geneology and accuracy wAs very important to my uncle and passed to me. I am very proud of where I came from and I hope I make my children and future ancestors proud and pass that pride and knowledge on and on.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    same here.
    Dad: navy, vietnam
    uncle 1: navy, vietnam
    uncle 2: marines, Vietnam (purple heart, bronze star with Combat V)
    uncle 3: army, Cold War, Grenada, gulf war 1 (PH, silver star, bronze star v)
    uncle 4: army, Cold War, Grenada
    uncle 5: army, Cold War, gulf war 1, Bosnia, Kosovo
    grandpa1: army, Korea
    grandpa2: army, WWII
    Great grandpa: WWI
    3rd GG: civil war, union army, Purple Heart
    ? GG: civil war, confederate army (i think he was also 3rd GG but not positive without looking)
    then I had 3 ancestors in the revolution. I proudly named my son after one of them who was my 5th great grandfather. One was bayoneted by the British and escaped capture. 2 of them knew George Washington. One of them went on to fight in the war of 1812 with his son and they were friends with Daniel Boone.
    related to George Washington on my mothers side

Geneology and accuracy wAs very important to my uncle and passed to me. I am very proud of where I came from and I hope I make my children and future ancestors proud and pass that pride and knowledge on and on.

Did any of them know Churchmouse??? Very cool history TT....:yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sanctioned? I think you guys use hyperbole so often you start to believe it. Or maybe I missed that thread. And apparently you missed the thread where I admitted I was wrong. I didn't think it was possible Trump could beat Hillary, even as bad as she was. But he did.

Somebody. Somebody well regarded. I'm trying to remember ... somebody said to ATM in a thread that they miss a lot of threads on INGO.

You and my point waltz beautifully, though :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Somebody. Somebody well regarded. I'm trying to remember ... somebody said to ATM in a thread that they miss a lot of threads on INGO.

You and my point waltz beautifully, though :)

Hey. Whadkyouknow. I have something in common with someone well regarded. I said that to ATM too. I even missed the infamous "wallet" thread. Sometimes I'll just look at a thread title and think, meh. That thread will never be interesting.

speaking of interesting, I am growing tired of this conversation. I'm kinda digging the submarine stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "How old fashioned"

Hey, Susie. There's this really big ****ing wart looking thing growing on your nose. It's really ugly. Oh. I just got buzzed from work. Gotta run. Can you get the check? Thanks. I'll call you.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, I've often wondered about the radioactive half-life of a decommissioned reactor operator myself :)

I'm guessing they might not need tritium on their watches or gunsights

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Those of us sanctioned by Adam for perceived misbehavior were given a chance to post in a thread that we were wrong to support Trump and we would be redeemed. I ... declined. Less than a week later Trump won it all. No word escaped the anechoic chamber from those that were ... actually wrong
    Not to derail submarine talk and what not but I remember the post you were referring to as well. I believe it was an invitation for Tumpers to redeem themselves if they would just apologize and kiss his ass or some such arrogant nonsense like that. Thought it was a pretty dickish move at the time but then again their was quite a bit of that type of posturing all around. It was and still is to some degree a pretty contentious atmosphere.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey. Whadkyouknow. I have something in common with someone well regarded. I said that to ATM too. I even missed the infamous "wallet" thread. Sometimes I'll just look at a thread title and think, meh. That thread will never be interesting.

speaking of interesting, I am growing tired of this conversation. I'm kinda digging the submarine stuff.

"How old fashioned"

Hey, Susie. There's this really big ****ing wart looking thing growing on your nose. It's really ugly. Oh. I just got buzzed from work. Gotta run. Can you get the check? Thanks. I'll call you.

Yeah, I've often wondered about the radioactive half-life of a decommissioned reactor operator myself :)

I'm guessing they might not need tritium on their watches or gunsights

Not to derail submarine talk and what not but I remember the post you were referring to as well. I believe it was an invitation for Tumpers to redeem themselves if they would just apologize and kiss his ass or some such arrogant nonsense like that. Thought it was a pretty dickish move at the time but then again their was quite a bit of that type of posturing all around. It was and still is to some degree a pretty contentious atmosphere.

Sorry to slightly derail the thread guys. :)
    The Desert Storm/Shield reference had me a bit nostalgic.
    One day, I'll create a new thread, a continuation of my "Last Dance of the Thresher" thread. Maybe "Tales from Davey Jones Locker" or something like that.
    And jamil... no cell phones in the 80s. Can't get "buzzed from work".
    I've missed some good threads also. Don't know how that happens. I swear you could live here, and still miss stuff.
    As for where they bury radioactive reactor operators....
    This is where we go to die.
    http://navsource.org/archives/08/100/0857524.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom