• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    MCF&G Trap EVERY Thursday, 5:30 - 10 P.M.

Marion County Fish & Game ( www.indyrange.com ) is open for Trap Every Thursday Evening. We Have Two Trap Fields. We shoot under the lights 6 - 10 PM. The official start time is 6 PM but we have actually been getting started before 5:30 most Thursdays. Practice for beginner & expert alike. If there is enough interest we also will run a 50 Target Program. It consists of 25 targets shot at 16 yards and 25 targets shot from the 23, 24, or 25 yard line depending on your 16 yard score. Also if there is enough interest we close the evening with a Piece & Protect game. Gas Heated Clubhouse with a cozy fireplace and plenty of seating. New to the sport? There are always plenty of old-timers ready to help you.

Trap at MCF&G is open to the public. Members and Non-members pay $4 per round (25 targets). Non-members pay a one-time per evening charge of $2 regardless of how many rounds you shoot. Children 15 and under shoot for free, shells not included.

Newcomers, First Time Shooters, & Those New To Trap Shooting:
    We have many shooting/trap shooting veterans ready to help you or answer any questions you may have. Safety is our #1 concern so if you don't arrive in time for our opening safety announcement just ask and we will go over the safety rules with you one-on-one. The veterans will also assist you in the game of trapshooting to almost any degree you want from general pointers to get you started to in-depth knowledge of the sport. It's all about having fun and doing it in a safe manner.

Located just west of I-465 on Crawfordsville Rd. (US 136). Hope to see you soon!

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You do not have to be a Marion County Fish and Game member to shoot trap; you just pay a $2.00 non-member fee (once per night) in addition to the normal $4.00 per round charge.

For more info, check out:

www.IndyRange.com > Programs and Events > Trap

Every Thursday evening, 6:00 p.m. to 10 p.m. year 'round
    The range closes at 5:00 p.m. Thursdays for trap setup.
    Trap shooting begins by 6:00 p.m.
    browningautomatic.gif

Practice: $4.00 / 25 targets
    Piece and Protect $4.00

• Trap shooting is open to the public.
    • Non-members do not have to be accompanied by a member to shoot trap.
    • There is a $2.00 temporary membership fee charged to non-members for the evening.
    • Kids 15 and under shoot free with an adult. (Shells not included.)

Spectators, guests, and beginners are welcome.

I was just wondering. I have heard that you don't have to be a member to attend and shoot at the Thursday night trap sessions. Is that true or is membership required. Thanks.

Kevin

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Wow. Never knew this place existed. Used to shoot clays with my dad about 20-25 years ago. Inherited a couple shotguns from him that I would love to bring out. However, I think I would be better off if they threw something up quite a bit larger. Like I said -- been at least 20 years. But boy did we have fun.

I saw there is also fishing. Do people bring their kids out to fish? Is there a stocking program?

Hundred bucks seems cheap for something like this.

Any members care to provide some info that may not be available on their site?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The pond is not stocked. What you do get is access to Eagle Creek from the Club. The banks are a bit steep but manageable. I take my kids fishing in Spring along the banks by the Club.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Wow. Never knew this place existed. Used to shoot clays with my dad about 20-25 years ago. Inherited a couple shotguns from him that I would love to bring out. However, I think I would be better off if they threw something up quite a bit larger. Like I said -- been at least 20 years. But boy did we have fun.

I saw there is also fishing. Do people bring their kids out to fish? Is there a stocking program?

Hundred bucks seems cheap for something like this.

Any members care to provide some info that may not be available on their site?

If you wanna shoot a round or 2 of trap, drop me a line and I'll come shoot with 'ya....

A hundred bux is cheap for a membership to a gunclub. At MCFG, that membership also includes your spouse and any minor children at no additional cost. If you shoot trap or the other programs regularly, the savings on entrance fees can pay for your membership...

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    Note to the reply on gun requirements. 12 Gauge or Under. (You don't shoot trap with a 10 gauge goose gun!) People shoot .410, 28, and 20 gauge for an added challenge, or for younger shooters. However the majority shoot 12 gauge with 2 3/4 or 3 Dram loads with 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce of 8 1/2, 8, or 7 1/2 shot. But if you've got nothing else a lot of people readying for hunting season use field loads. Generally a longer barrel (28" and up) with a Full or Improved Modified choke is best, but I've seen guys break birds with Improved Cylinder and Skeet chokes with shorter barrels. Again, it's just more of a challenge.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Hey don't let the weather forecast for this Thursday discourage you, we can shoot from the cover porch. Nothing like shooting from the 35 yard line. :D

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I might have to come by sometime. I hear you guys every Thursday night, I live off of Cunningham so not a far drive!

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    Looks like it may be a might cold this Thursday, but we will be there anyway. That is all of us diehards. And we will get a nice warm fire roaring in the fireplace to keep our toes warm between rounds. -Mark

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    I might have to come by sometime. I hear you guys every Thursday night, I live off of Cunningham so not a far drive!
    We welcome you and do hope you do come out. "Few things in life can beat the noise and recoil therapy and thrill of the shooting sports." Dr. D. Zimmerman

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I plan to be there. Wife bought me a nice insulated jacket for Christmas, completely forgot about it until she reminded me. Too bad it was after I froze at the Sunday League shoot. You know one of my kids must have hidden the Jacket under my pile of hunting clothes in my Den.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I might have to come by some thursday night. I'm in Terre Haute. I have shot a few hundred clays, but could probably use some pointers. I have a mossy 500 that loves to eat up some birds!

Top Bottom