• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Not sure if this is best in this subforum since it's not specifically about self defense, but obviously related.

Anyway....

I am becoming more interested in taking martial arts classes. Not specifically for self defense, more for the long standing interest and physical and mental benefits.

There are sooo many forms I'm not sure where to look.

Mainly offered around me are:
    Hapkido
    Tae Kwon Do
    Muay Tai
    MMA
    Kick Boxing
    BJJ
    Jujutsu
    Kempo Jujutsu
    Aikido
    Karate
    Tang Soo Do
    And probably a few others I can't remember.

Some of those include weapons training, which is a big plus. I'm not real interested in MMA or kickboxing, more traditional forms and weapon forms.

Looking for some input/guidance for INGOers with some martial arts experience. What form did you choose and why? What forms have you tried? Likes, dislikes?

Bonus bacon for dojo/people recommendations in NWI. (Dyer, Schererville, Highland area for example)

EDIT: Forgot about the Tactics and Training forum. Mods, if that suits better, please move.

Last edited:

poweraddict

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Marcello Monteiro's on Emerson. He was a a Brazilian national Champion. De laRiva's protege. He grew up with the Nogueira brothers at De lariva's. I mean there's a whole guard(fighting position) named after Delariva. Matt Mitrione was training there when I was. So was Pat McPherson(Chris Lytle, Mitrione, Jake Obrien's coach). Nogueira visited and trained at Marcello's the week he fought in Indy.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    I favor the Kemp jujutsu type style. Think there is a reputable school in Highland. Anyway, my advise is to not focus on a particular style as much as a school that suits your needs, and that you are comfortable with if that makes sense.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I favor the Kemp jujutsu type style. Think there is a reputable school in Highland. Anyway, my advise is to not focus on a particular style as much as a school that suits your needs, and that you are comfortable with if that makes sense.

Yea that makes sense. I drive past that school all the time. Been there for a long time. I'm originally from Highland. That one looked interesting to me because it seemed like a good mix of things.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    Yea that makes sense. I drive past that school all the time. Been there for a long time. I'm originally from Highland. That one looked interesting to me because it seemed like a good mix of things.

I believe they offer a few free classes for prospective students. It wouldn't hurt to check them out. They train stand up, sub-type fighting, and weapons; so I think it fits as a well rounded school. I do not train there, nor have I, but i was always curious about them as well. Good luck with your search.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Okinowan Style, Matsumoura Shuri-ryu is how my family studies, my uncle and father are life long students.
    My brother and I were poor students, we always liked joint locks and take downs. My son is a much better student than my brother and myself.

If I remember correctly , Shuri- ryu and Goju Ryu are very closely matched, I think some of the katas and weapons are different.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Okinowan Style, Matsumoura Shuri-ryu is how my family studies, my uncle and father are life long students.
    My brother and I were poor students, we always liked joint locks and take downs. My son is a much better student than my brother and myself.

If I remember correctly , Shuri- ryu and Goju Ryu are very closely matched, I think some of the katas and weapons are different.
    Yes, I believe they are very similar. Both use peasant weapons and the katas overlap but also vary if memory serves. I studied a bit of the Shorin Ryu after I moved geographically away from the Goju Ryu school I originally studied at. Then I ended up boxing and doing a bit of jujitsu based ground fighting. Before a recent injury, I was briefly sparring with Jerry Smith's guys. Healed up now but rusty as hell and struggling to get back in it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Barrons' martial arts in Highland is good too.
    Marvin Clarks' school in Merrilleville (I forget the name) teaches sho(something) ryu.
    What types of weapons training are you looking for, traditional martial arts weapons or modern weapons?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I should train, but tators and gravy are more interesting.
    My brother and i sorta studied under sensei Dad, dad is a 6th Dan.
    My son study's under a great instructor named Steve Tolson in So MD.

Steve holds a 6th Dan black belt in Matsumura Shaolin Kenpo and is the Master Instructor at Tolson's Okinawan Karate. Some of my accomplishments include winning the title "State Champion" for three consecutive years since 2000 for Kata and Weapons. He is a 25 time Grand Champion. I also participated in the US Olympic in Sydney, Australia (2000) and brought back 4 Gold medals and 1 Silver medal. Awards I have received include: World Christian Martial Arts Hall of Fame.
    It's been a great sport for my son, it has helped him stand tall when things get hard.

The oar ( eku ) has always made me laugh, I've always wanted to say, I'm gonna beat you stupid with this canoe paddle..

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Personally i would look at hapkido and shotokan karate. It is what I did and it provided me with a well balanced training on many styles. Hapkido had the use of basic weapons in it and I find it to be a great one to learn. Grapples,pressure points throws, using opponents force against them etc are one if the reasons I ejoyed it. It was just well balanced. Shotokan was quick fluid motions and we focused on power in your legs. Both styles are similar in ways to akido and taewkando.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Oh, and make sure that you check out the instructors' credentials. We had a visiting master at a tournament one time say there were more "masters" 9th and 10th dan in Chicago than there were in all of Japan.
    My instructor, Fred Richmond, was trained by Jack Shamburger a great guy, but very strict.
    anyway, good luck and have fun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe not in your area, however, Krav Maga in Fishers 116th st and Allisonville road (next to Papa Johns), offers a free lesson intro, is reasonable, and IMHO, pretty good in skills, and activities.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    Not in your area but if you are wanting tradition and weapons, look at one of the Okinowan Karate forms. Goju Ryu was the form I studied.

I second this! I have studied Okinawan Goju-Ryu for many years. If you can find a good traditional teacher, it's an amazing art to be a part of! I know some instructors. I'll check and see if I know anyone teaching in your area that I can recommend.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you looking to do this primarily as self-enrichment / fulfillment or something that will honestly help you the most "on the street" should you ever need such skills?

That can make a big difference in your choice of style and/or school.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Are you looking to do this primarily as self-enrichment / fulfillment or something that will honestly help you the most "on the street" should you ever need such skills?

That can make a big difference in your choice of style and/or school.

Truth. Kata is about as effective on the street as dancing.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a workout.. rolling is very intense and exhausting. I know you stated not specifically for self-defense... but we are a self defense conscious crowd. Estimates I've seen suggest 90% of all physical encounters end up on the ground, if you can't fight once it gets to this point you are in serious trouble.

I have a friend that is a US Army ranger. He had previously stated approximately 3/4 of his teammates trained in BJJ.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Marcello Monteiro's on Emerson. He was a a Brazilian national Champion. De laRiva's protege. He grew up with the Nogueira brothers at De lariva's. I mean there's a whole guard(fighting position) named after Delariva. Matt Mitrione was training there when I was. So was Pat McPherson(Chris Lytle, Mitrione, Jake Obrien's coach). Nogueira visited and trained at Marcello's the week he fought in Indy.

He's as legit as it comes for competition Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a workout.. rolling is very intense and exhausting. I know you stated not specifically for self-defense... but we are a self defense conscious crowd. Estimates I've seen suggest 90% of all physical encounters end up on the ground, if you can't fight once it gets to this point you are in serious trouble.
    I have a friend that is a US Army ranger. He had previously stated approximately 3/4 of his teammates trained in BJJ.

I train with one of the trainers from his gym. If I had to pick one, that's the place I'd go. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a FANTASTIC sport and one hell of a work out. It's really fun too.

The Hidden Benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Breaking Muscle
    10 Reasons Why I Practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Royce Gracie vs Sumo Wrestler (Akebono) -

A GREAT video from Joe Rogan about Jiu Jitsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAqTwaojOM

Last edited:
    Top Bottom