• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This is from a post about a 1 1/2 years ago. It was about life altering moments in life.

Quote Originally Posted by 17 squirrel View Post
    My son who is 15 years old has been studying Okinowan Matsumura Shorin Ryu for about 11 years now and has attained his 1st Dan.
    He has handed out a few life changing experiences to some older guys thinking they are the sizzle and this kid can't touch me.
    Well last summer I took him to the local judo classes in Alexandria, and he was enthusiastic about learning something new. They welcomed him and loaned him a judo gei and put him in the class. Lucky for him it was sparing night. In seconds my kid was on the ground twisted up by a kid 25 lbs lighter than him. My son tapped out more than once that night. They twisted, bruised, tortured, made his eyes water up and just beat his ass. On the way home I asked him are we going back again ?
    We have gone back a few times when he is here in Indiana, he have a new understanding of different skills for different needs.
    It I believe was his first life altering experience.

Bubba effects response to my post,

Nothing says "you do not know everything" quite like someone choking you out with your own shirt.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If a fight goes to the ground, and IME many/most do, you better have trained to ground fight. Kata is not a be all/end all, it is a foundation to train many strikes and throws as well as stances to keep you on your feet and minimize the damage from a strike.

It does not replace other training, particularly ground fighting, but it is IME very helpful in building a rounded fighting skill set.

In the last decade, I've mostly been boxing with some ground fighting thrown in. I haven't studied kata in that time. Yet I can still effectively execute strikes and throws based upon that repetitive training of years ago.
    That's cool, not down playing ANY discipline. Was just curious. Doesn't hurt to be cross trained ;)

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Took Judo in a prior life (long time ago) box amateur and sparred with several professionals. And feel MUCH more secure and positive of being able to handle the situation especially on the ground than ever before since training in
    Jiu Jitsu!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    BJJ is my favorite, hands down. I have studied Tae Kwon Do, BJJ, Kickboxing, and Muay Thai for the last 20 years and I can't think of an overall more practical, exciting MA around.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I will say a wrist lock works well on someone that has no self defense training.
    I've seen broken wrists, elbows and dislocated shoulders along with torn ligaments and muscles.
    They certainly will put a huge portion of the public in submission quickly.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if this is best in this subforum since it's not specifically about self defense, but obviously related.

Anyway....

I am becoming more interested in taking martial arts classes. Not specifically for self defense, more for the long standing interest and physical and mental benefits.

There are sooo many forms I'm not sure where to look.

Mainly offered around me are:
    Hapkido
    Tae Kwon Do
    Muay Tai
    MMA
    Kick Boxing
    BJJ
    Jujutsu
    Kempo Jujutsu
    Aikido
    Karate
    Tang Soo Do
    And probably a few others I can't remember.

Some of those include weapons training, which is a big plus. I'm not real interested in MMA or kickboxing, more traditional forms and weapon forms.

Looking for some input/guidance for INGOers with some martial arts experience. What form did you choose and why? What forms have you tried? Likes, dislikes?

Bonus bacon for dojo/people recommendations in NWI. (Dyer, Schererville, Highland area for example)

EDIT: Forgot about the Tactics and Training forum. Mods, if that suits better, please move.

I went to high school with a guy who's involved in this school in Highland, IN
    Kempo Jujutsu Martial Arts Academykempo jujutsu

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Meh... You're the one who made me ask myself the same question after 10+ years of Shorei Goju Ryu, so you still get credit.

OKS for the win! Herb Johnson, RIP.

I didn't say they had no benefit and I've sparred with a couple senseis too. It was painful, but none of them used the horse stance. We sparred a little differently in Kyokushin than some of the other styles I've seen. So I may not be well informed.

Most practitioners of Kyokushin Kai are "closer" to fighting than some closely related Japanese/Okinawan systems because Mas Oyama was really, really into fighting "for real." Some of his contemporaries and many of his predecessors learned much of what they knew by purposely fighting people outside of any kind of recognizable training environment. Obviously they were training in a sense (as well as testing their ideas and skills), but that's a lot different than exercising in your spiffy pajamas in the ol' dojo.

Ah, I haven't seen the whole movie. Now I look silly. :-)

"Now"?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had not heard he passed. What happened?

I found out when I saw something on a friend's web site that his (my friend, not Herb) karate school would be closed to attend Herb's memorial service. He died 11/20/2015 at home, unexpectedly. I don't have any other details other than the family asked for privacy in what I found with a google search back in December.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear that. I studied with his brother Lowell for two semesters long ago when I was at IUPUI.

I saw him at many tournaments and competed against his students back in the late 1970s and early 80s, but I hadn't seen him since then. He was only 66 when he passed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom