• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am not well versed in other disciplines, I focus on BJJ, some boxing, and a hint of Muay Thai....aka-LE self defense. What happens if a fight goes to ground? I'm asking an honest question because I do not know how other disciplines address it. With so many HS and college wrestlers and many people emulating the MMA they see on TV/Youtube, ground fighting is a valuable skill. Most fights I see end up on the ground.

I can only speak for the karate I did when I was younger, but it was rarely addressed. The main answer was to keep them off you with your feet (either kicking at knees, upkicks, or pushing at the hips) while attempting to get back up.

I always thought the lack of ground work was odd when the founder of the style and several of the higher ups held black belts of various degrees in Judo. Very little of it carried in to what we did.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am supposed to start the testing process for my black belt in TaeKwonDo this week. I have no doubt that In a real fight I will get my butt kicked. Especially if it goes to the ground. Don't get me wrong it is a good way to get a little excercise and improve your flexibility. I am certain going to class three days means I would be better prepared if physically assaulted. But TaeKwonDo is focused more on the sport then practical application.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I am not well versed in other disciplines, I focus on BJJ, some boxing, and a hint of Muay Thai....aka-LE self defense. What happens if a fight goes to ground? I'm asking an honest question because I do not know how other disciplines address it. With so many HS and college wrestlers and many people emulating the MMA they see on TV/Youtube, ground fighting is a valuable skill. Most fights I see end up on the ground.
    If a fight goes to the ground, and IME many/most do, you better have trained to ground fight. Kata is not a be all/end all, it is a foundation to train many strikes and throws as well as stances to keep you on your feet and minimize the damage from a strike.

It does not replace other training, particularly ground fighting, but it is IME very helpful in building a rounded fighting skill set.

In the last decade, I've mostly been boxing with some ground fighting thrown in. I haven't studied kata in that time. Yet I can still effectively execute strikes and throws based upon that repetitive training of years ago.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I can only speak for the karate I did when I was younger, but it was rarely addressed. The main answer was to keep them off you with your feet (either kicking at knees, upkicks, or pushing at the hips) while attempting to get back up.

This was my experience as well. You end up pivoting on your hips and kind of bicycle kicking in a circle trying to keep your feet between you and your opponent with the end game always being "get back on your feet". Never what to do if you can't.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am supposed to start the testing process for my black belt in TaeKwonDo this week. I have no doubt that In a real fight I will get my butt kicked. Especially if it goes to the ground. Don't get me wrong it is a good way to get a little excercise and improve your flexibility. I am certain going to class three days means I would be better prepared if physically assaulted. But TaeKwonDo is focused more on the sport then practical application.

Still, a black belt is an accomplishment. Don't take this as a criticism, just honest curiosity. .. How many times did you have to test what you were learning against hard resistance on your path to back belt?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

That was my take on TaeKwonDo. Got my 1st degree back in the early 90's and got out of it shortly thereafter due to a hip injury from working at UPS. Never got back in, but if I did, I'd go the Jui Jitsu or Krav Maga route, for real self defense training.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Are you looking to do this primarily as self-enrichment / fulfillment or something that will honestly help you the most "on the street" should you ever need such skills?

That can make a big difference in your choice of style and/or school.

Kind of both. Obviously I'm very self defense minded, but I dont want it only to be that focus. I like having many hobbies and this is something I have never gotten into but always had an interest in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Still, a black belt is an accomplishment. Don't take this as a criticism, just honest curiosity. .. How many times did you have to test what you were learning against hard (read that as having real potential to hurt or injure) resistance on your path to back belt?

Nada. I ended up in the emergency room for an arm X-ray once but that was purely by accident.

Some of the tournament sparring can get pretty rough. I have never participated in such an event. I have only tried the full contact sparring once and immediately got called for a rules violation. My opponent closed on me close enough that I was able to shove him off of me and then throw a kick. Apparently a no go. Also I am too old and slow to "head hunt", meaning to kick at the opponents head. The tourney guys use this technique to get points. TaeKwonDo is very showy and favors speed and agility. Two things lacking in a 40 year fat man.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I didn't say they had no benefit and I've sparred with a couple senseis too. It was painful, but none of them used the horse stance. We sparred a little differently in Kyokushin than some of the other styles I've seen. So I may not be well informed.

There is many other stances in the Corral than the Horse Stance,
    It's used where my son studies more so during warmups and occasionally during class. My brother will start off in sparring in the horse.
    Most new students tend to learn fast not to directly face your opponent using the Horse.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Do you know preying mantis?

4UwEx0c.gif

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    There is many other stances in the Corral than the Horse Stance,
    It's used where my son studies more so during warmups and occasionally during class. My brother will start off in sparring in the horse.
    Most new students tend to learn fast not to directly face your opponent using the Horse.

I had always considered this, and similar stances, to be part of the exercise rather than something to implement directly. I had been advised that we exaggerate some things in practice because we may tend to short stroke them in the real deal. So I also looked at some Kata things in that light.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom