• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I went through the Texas CHL classes, so I can at least appreciate a baseline level of training.

I also understand the arguement here in Indiana, because we do have a right to carry.

I can say for a fact that I'd back passing a civics test before being allowed to vote before I'd back training for the LTCH.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Required training?

I dont' know. Do you think people should be required to take a training class on wiping their butt before they use a toilet? Maybe we should hire a safety officer to give out classes on toilet use?

Please. A gun is about as simple as a hammer. Don't point it at things you don't want to destroy. Everyone knows that. EVERYONE. Let me repeat, EVERYONE. I don't know how many people I know who know nothing about guns and whenever I see them hold a gun, they are EXTREMELY cautious with firearms. We don't need mandatory, expensive, safety training with firearms. What we need are more gun ranges around the country, shooting sports to be accepted in schools again as a sport, and less stupid restrictive gun laws. The gun culture that the above will create will help foster will train people. Let people educate themselves. I'm self taught. Let people teach themselves by reading the gun's manual, watching some DVDs, reading on the Internet or talking to friends. We'll be fine.

Guys, most people who own guns and carry only shoot a few times a year. Most of them have not taken professional firearm instruction. And most of them end up defending themselves fine. The "training" requirement is just a cheap shot way by the anti-gun movement in this country to keep firearms out of as many hands as they can with any way they can. And your going to end up hurting the people who need firearms the most in this country by adopting nonsense like that... poor minorities. Poor urban minorities do not have the money to go spend on expensive training classes. A poor black guy with a family and kids should be able to go pick up a Hi Point and defend himself and his house hold with out having to be burdened with training which can cost over 100 dollars factoring in ammo, gas, class fee etc.

This really isn't an issue. Do you spend time worrying about the guy driving towards you coming down the road when your out driving? I never do. I doubt you do. You know accidents are rare. Well, why don't you feel that way about guns? I don't think there are many safety problems concerning firearms, people carrying them, and lack of training. If 10% of people were having serious accidents, maybe I would be concerned, but its nowhere even close to that. Anyone who is troubled by this issue of training has had their thinking affected by the anti-gun movement. And don't be fooled, this issue IS generated by the anti-gun movement. Go watch the anti-gun ABC special "If I only had a Gun" that was on a year or so after the Virgina Tech killings. They basically try to convince viewers that if your not some kind of uber-SWAT officer you shouldn't be carrying a gun. Bunch of nonsense.

Last edited:

chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    Before owning no.... maybe before getting a LTCH , but how much of an additional cost would that be. I already dont like that you have to pay to exercise your right to carry.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    nanny-state.jpg

HAHAH!! THAT IS EPIC.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    encourage = Good

Required = BAD!

Every responsible gun owner I know takes training classes on a fairly regular basis anyway. I like the idea of a discounted, better yet Free, ltch if you take a training course. But requiring it starts us down a slippery slope.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, I don't think there should be a law enacted in Indiana requiring adults to attend training classes of any kind before they can purchase, or carry a firearm. The road to destruction is paved with good intentions. Government has its place, just not in my face... You mean what I know. ;)

I do think that young people attending public schools should be exposed to programs that promote the safe handling of firearms. Instilling irrational 'hoplophobia' in children is certainly not the proper route to take to reduce the number of injuries and fatalities related to the mishandling of firearms.

Top Bottom