• ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're saying that it doesn't matter what you do. You living or dieing is based on luck? Nothing you do can make the difference in the outcome?

That is NOT true!!
    No, all I am saying is sometimes it does not matter how much training you have had. I will not disagree that training helps, I am just on the non mandatory side. That being said, I am 40 and may or may not ever get any training, but I think most people around me would be safer because of my mindset.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    No, all I am saying is sometimes it does not matter how much training you have had. I will not disagree that training helps, I am just on the non mandatory side. That being said, I am 40 and may or may not ever get any training, but I think most people around me would be safer because of my mindset.

I don't disagree. I think GOD has a plan for us all (different post for a different thread).

I pray, if you ever have to pull, that everything works out. It's all I can ask for any LTCH'er

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It's hard to kill a man with a negligent lawnmower path.

Not hard with a badly aimed shot.

Wanna try a different example?

Ok I will bite. Afterall I can see having some regulation on things that may affect other people. For example required training in order to drive a car.

Oh wait! If I drive my car into somebody else I could be held liable or be charged with a crime. Same as a gun.

Ok, I have a license to drive a commercial vehicle. Surely I am better trained then other motorists. Afterall, I passed the test. Problem is I don't have any idea how to drive certain trucks and aside from a couple of days driving around in the country I have never been behind the wheel of one. Really no different then the guy/gal forced to sit through the eight hour firearms course.

Now I have a commercial license and can drive a truck. I can also drive a tractor down the road with no license at all. Funny thing is that I have done that and guess what I have yet to hit another person. Is it that I am better trained, or could it possibly be that I am just a responsible person. And as a responsible person I choose not to break the law and run over other people.

So lets summarize:

Is training good and should everybody have it? Yes

Will mandatory training prevent negligent behavior? No

Are some people just stupid? Yes

Will mandatory training get the anti's off our back? Probably not

Would I support mandatory training if I knew it would shut everyone up and let me kive my life in peace? you bet!:D

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    uh oh, am I wrong?

Gee, I don't know. You have a whole weekend of tfirearms training, and that has given you enlightenment far beyond our collective experiences.

I'm pretty sure there was this guy named Washington that had some kind of miliary service, but as I understand it was a pretty cushy deal. Seems he spent some time at this place called Valley Forge, must have been some sort of Ski Lodge/Spa kinda thing.

Alexander Hamilton was a volunteer soldier participated in raiding British armories, but that was probably a piece of cake.

Old Ben Franklin, barely escaped the gallows when the British sent soldiers to arrest him while he was in London representing the colonies...any coward would have sailed to England to negotiate with the King we were trying to revolt against.

So, yeah, I guess you are right. Sounds like they were just a bunch of sissies.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    All right,

I appreciate those who have argued against me, keeping things civil. It's pretty cool when you can have a discussion about a volatile thing and not have it turn to *****. That's what makes this forum great.

Those of you who have no firearms training, but go to the range to practice without any formal instruction, like I used too...

I highly recommend James Heath for the NRA basic pistol and personal protection courses. He was an IMPD officer for a long time and really made the time spent, interesting and informative. His "company" is called Custom Cop Corporation out in Acton, IN. If you want more info, PM me and I'll pass on the info I have. If you take his class(es) you can use his personal range for free (you have to call ahead to be sure it's clear, but still...).

This is the most active I've been in a thread since I've been a member here because I feel so strongly about the benefits of training.

Obviously, the government requiring anything of the people is a bold move but over the years people have continually gotten used to it. Even now they expect it. Economy going to *****? Come bail us out Geithner!

If training got me the ability to protect myself (carry my gun) in every state of the union, I would do it. Then I would protest the law, but only after.

I won't be responding to anymore posts in this thread, anyone who reads it knows my stance. I'll read it though (mostly 'cause I don't know how to unsubscribe)

I love this site!

:ingo:

AJB

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    AJJB87 Good for you for not getting mad and taking this personally. You are right, this makes for good threads. People speaking their minds and not getting pissed off from good debates.

WIN WIN in my book.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All right,

I appreciate those who have argued against me, keeping things civil. It's pretty cool when you can have a discussion about a volatile thing and not have it turn to *****. That's what makes this forum great.

Yep, great when it happens. But sometimes the discussions get out of hand. No Ban Hammer or IBTL for this thread.

This is the most active I've been in a thread since I've been a member here because I feel so strongly about the benefits of training.

I think that most people on this forum would agree with the benefits of training.

Obviously, the government requiring anything of the people is a bold move but over the years people have continually gotten used to it. Even now they expect it. Economy going to *****? Come bail us out Geithner!

Can't speak for everyone, but I am guessing that there are a few on here that do not like the idea of government bailouts, etc.

If training got me the ability to protect myself (carry my gun) in every state of the union, I would do it. Then I would protest the law, but only after.

Agreed. If a training requirement would end the debate, then I would happily join the bandwagon. Provided the reguirement is not prejudice against certain groups of people.

I won't be responding to anymore posts in this thread, anyone who reads it knows my stance. I'll read it though (mostly 'cause I don't know how to unsubscribe)

Quiter! ;) :):

I love this site!

:ingo:

AJB

NJK

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am a retired NRA firearms instructor. While I feel that training for someone with no experience with fireams is absolutely necessary, the problem is, who is going to be doing the training? If we allow it to be done by the Govt. it will just as meaningless as the test we now require for obtaining a driver's license. In this country a monkey could pass the driving test (although the written test might give him a problem). The other problem is that most people (especially men) don't believe that they need any training because they know it all (from watching TV or because they are former military or LEO trained - the last two being the ones we had the most problems with). Education is what we need but people need to understand that they NEED to be trained first. And sadly most will never admit it.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    We have to have training when handling a car, there is a permit period as we are learning, and then finally we get a license. Wouldn't this cut down on accidental injuries and deaths and ultimately shine a more positive light on gun ownership?
    And yet more people die from vehicular deaths than gun deaths, seems to me Training to drive is a failure

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    <---------would like the award for best thread started by a newbie :rockwoot:

Please don't applaude, just throw money.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Solution looking for a problem if you ask me.

Right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...bear means carry. No rights need manditory training(infringment), licenses(infringment), fees(infringment), etc in my book. Clear as can be if you read the text this country was founded upon.

+1, agreed...nice civil debate without anyone becoming a jerk.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    All of these years in which we allow people to go "wandering around in the wilderness" carrying a loaded firearm, to go hunting, as long as they have a hunting permit and permission to hunt on the particular piece of land they are on. While it may be a bit scary at the thought of someone not knowing how to handle a pistol and the laws that go with carrying it, education is something certainly to be encourage and taught by parents/guardians/grandparent, etc. to their children. I certainly remember rifle and shotgun safety my dad taught me.

The scary moment hunting was at one of the "tame chicken hunt" pheasant releases at the game preserve. There were definitely those who had not any experience or training in carrying and hunting. That was the LAST time I tried one of those and I was only 18 at the time.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    First, you'd need to convince me that carry permits should be required.

Then you could get back to required training, which would make it a double infringement.

Right. Training will be $2000.00. It will be offered one day per year. The test at the end is possible to pass but most people will fail.
    Don't worry, this required training can't possibly hurt - only help.

ATM, you nailed it right on the head here. Especially when the liberals have their way... They will do everything they can to make it as difficult as possible to keep guns out of our hands and put a spin on it to make it look like people are safer because of it. Don't get me wrong, I've taken safety training out the wazoo, and encourage it. But it no way should it be mandated.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    nanny-state.jpg

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wish more gun owners would get training, but I dont think I could support mandatory training from the goverment. Getting the proper training is part of the responsibility of gun ownership. My :twocents:

Top Bottom