• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Let's all remember, the title of this thread is grossly negligent. The man was not arrested for the siding. The "jackboots" did not demolish his house. He spent two days in jail for failure to appear in court.

The genesis of the confrontation is SIDING.

He was SENTENCED to 30 days.

The title is just fine.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If rights can just be invented, then all of our rights can be destroyed. And they are.

That nose of yours is in everyone else's business. You want to go nosing through your neighbor's property, their lawn, their house exterior, their garden, their flag pole, their gutters, their shrubbery, their vehicles, their mailbox, their dog house, and so on.

And when your neighbor doesn't do what you want, you claim your nose is being figuratively punched.

Seeing as I have a right to free speech, I imagine that I could exercise that right to inform you what I believe you to be......but it would infringe upon the site owner's greater right to regulate the site as would so choose.

Anyway, the point of a right being absolute have been rendered moot as Oliver Wendell Holmes poignantly stated in Schenck.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The genesis of the confrontation is SIDING.

He was SENTENCED to 30 days.

The title is just fine.
    No, he was sentenced to 30 days, 28 of which to be served in home detention. Your title is no different than what you continuously rail on the mass media for doing. Your title is only a half truth in an attempt to create an emotional response. I think you would feel the same way if I were to say "Dr. Paul Kills Baby" and left out the fact that he was forced to pull the plug on a patient that was permanently brain damaged and it was at the parents request.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Seeing as I have a right to free speech, I imagine that I could exercise that right to inform you what I believe you to be......but it would infringe upon the site owner's greater right to regulate the site as would so choose.
    Quite right. Property rights trump all else.

So what if competing websites don't like the content and rules found on INGO? Can they collectively stomp on Fenway's rights to run this site how he pleases?

They all think that they have a right to be successful websites and make profits, but INGO is in their way. I see no difference in what the anti-property crowd is advocating.

Anyway, the point of a right being absolute have been rendered moot as Oliver Wendell Holmes poignantly stated in Schenck.
    That is like the gospel for people who favor infringing rights. It ALWAYS comes up. I have a discussion here about it if you want to resurrect it.

Free Speech versus "Fire!" in a crowded theater

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Problem: My neighbor's house is ugly.
    Consequence: My property value is decreased.
    Solution: The government should force my neighbor to make his house attractive.

Problem: My neighbor is obese and ugly.
    Consequence: My property value is decreased.
    Solution: The government should force my neighbor to become thin and attractive.

And these have been answered over and over.

You have no right to be protected against an ugly house or a fat, ugly person.

It is a matter of where you draw the line. As long as city ordinances focus on protecting the property rights of others, no throwing garbage in the street, no loud music, no throwing filth in your yard, etc., you are protecting the rights of others.

Yeah, but that wasn't in any Firefly espisode or L. Neil Smith novel.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've presented this analogy before.

If you're trying to sell your house, and I tell people that I think your house is ugly, I am affecting your financial gain and therefore your 'pursuit of happiness' (by your logic).

Lawsuit time?

What part of you thinking a house is ugly, which is your opinion, different than the actuality of a home and property that is in need of repair and cleaning.

Because one statement is opinion, the other is fact.

Opinion can be disproved quickly with observation, the other...well the :poop: is there in plan site to prove it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I find it interesting that you seem to be more concerned about what your neighbors house looks like in relation to the value of yours, rather than what the Federal Reserve and derivatives market has done to the value of it.

My whole deal with all of this is that so many people are willing to get all worked up about neighborhood code violations but at the same time will allow themselves to get raped daily by a fiat currency and a government that has legalized theft.

"Yeah, I'm ok with being a slave, as long as the other slaves mow their grass!"

How about setting some priorities?

You and I can't do a didly squat about the federal reserve and the pitfalls of the housing mortgage market on what has done to the value of our property.

That is out of our control.

If it was that easy, it would be fixed.

I'm not worried about mine or my neighbors properties because we are all respectful of our property and others around use without the intervention of having a HOA.

Now about code violations, particularly what caused this whole thread subject.

Don't start something you can't finish or have enough money to complete it in stages at a time. You and only you can be to blame.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Man, I would feel like a bum if it took me five years to get the siding finished on my house. I mean damn, five years? In fact, my wife would probably have been all over me to get it done way before that.

How do we know what circumstances created that situation? He may have experienced a change in financial condition or any number of other issues. Many people have things happen from which it takes years to recover, maybe never, like losing a good job which is replaced with one that pays half as much. Perhaps he was forced to assume debt to get the court off his back? I don't know, but it is easy to judge from the comfort of our chairs and likely far more difficult on the ground.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It sickens me that many are more interested in seeing laws enforced than troubling themselves to question the morality of those very laws.

I just watched a movie called The Help. You all should watch it. Those conditions lasted so long because it "was the law" and people never dared to question the morality of it.

Tearing a family apart over a dime bag of weed. "But it's he law!"

Throwing a man in jail over siding. "But it's he law!"

Fining a man because his grass is too tall. "But it's he law!"

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Things that make you go "Hmmm.."

I'll post this again.

If you think you are entitled to some of your neighbor's money when his property makes yours less valuable, then do you owe him money when his property makes yours MORE valuable?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'll post this again.

If you think you are entitled to some of your neighbor's money when his property makes yours less valuable, then do you owe him money when his property makes yours MORE valuable?

Fair or not, its contrary to established public policy.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I'll post this again.

You have no obligation to add to your neighbor's property value. You do, however, have an obligation to not detract from it. This is really nothing more than common sense. The guy was given multiple chances to correct the situation that he caused. He chose not to do so. He got what society demanded he get. If one can't handle the responsibilities of property ownership, don't own property.

End of discussion.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Definition:

jail
    noun
     /jāl/ 
    gaols, plural; jails, plural
    A place for the confinement of people accused or convicted of a crime
    • - he spent 15 years in jail
    • - a jail sentence
    Clever. Now the government is turning our homes into JAILS. Now they own our homes and they are taking them over.

Home detention is nowhere near being in a jail, however clever you think you are.

Top Bottom