Man arrested for slapping stranger's 2 y/o at Wal-Mart... and a "what if" discussion

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Have you considered, and practiced, how close your family may be if you ever have to fire? Have you considered that you may have to, for example, fire past your wife to hit the guy running at her with a knife from behind? How 'bout leaving a grocery store, holding your kid's hand, when an armed threat approaches from that side. Defending your kid could well require firing over his head. You certainly may not have time to maneuver for a better shot.

I'm trained to fire past hostages. I'd have no issue taking such a shot. Nor will I permit my child to be battered, open hand or not. I'm only 5'6" so hand to hand combat is a risky proposition for me, and for those I'm engaged with since my training was aimed at breaking things. I've got no legal or moral obligation to allow my child to suffer harm or physical battering, nor do I have an obligation to defend my child with fisticuffs. Threaten my child, and I'll use the most effective tool at my disposal to defend him. I think that's a morally defensible position. I'd sleep soundly.

BTW... you seem to think open handed slaps are incapable of causing serious injury or death. You do know that's incorrect, right?

were not talking about charging knife wielding men. just the scenario from the report. but if hand to hand combat is risky for the other guy because youre trained to break things, it seems to me thats a better option than shooting. im not saying you dont have an obligation to protect you and yours, thats a given. im saying i probably wouldnt shoot someone who was smacking my child. im sure you could cause serious injury w/ slaps. im sure i could beat someone to death with a pillow as well, given the right circumstances.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    If this happened to me I would likely punch him square in the nose as soon as he laid a finger on my child. Then I would use my cell phone to call the police.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I would have likely uncovered so he could see my sidearm and then have warned him away. If he would have advanced, I would have drawn. Anything after that would have been up to him. I carry because I ain't some 6' tall guy with muscles on my muscles. There's a reason they call firearms an equalizer. He would have never been allowed to touch my child.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I've been wanting to power bomb someone ever since the NWO broke up. I would never draw in this situation. Beating someone would be so much more fun.

NWO....4-life

Big Poppa Pump is your hook up, holler if ya hear me!!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I don't think there is sufficient reason to draw, brandish or shoot. When he first made the comment, I would have put myself between him and the child. He would not have gotten around me to touch my child, and I am wide enough to promise that. What happens from there depends on how much he wants to escalate things.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Would've just beat his a** and had a good time doing it. Of course I'm not trained to break things though, so it would've just been an old fashion a** whooping.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    were not talking about charging knife wielding men. just the scenario from the report. but if hand to hand combat is risky for the other guy because youre trained to break things, it seems to me thats a better option than shooting.snip.

Unless, of course, he's twice my size with the same training! I really don't see the obligation to put myself at risk and find out, or to find out if whackjob is going to just put redmarks on my kid's face or seriously injure or kill him. Waiting to find out could leave you with a dead kid, all in the space of 3 or 4 seconds.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Unless, of course, he's twice my size with the same training! I really don't see the obligation to put myself at risk and find out, or to find out if whackjob is going to just put redmarks on my kid's face or seriously injure or kill him. Waiting to find out could leave you with a dead kid, all in the space of 3 or 4 seconds.

this guy was in his 60s. i think youd have been ok. you can what if all day, but in this context, no guns for me. i might not even use my fists. i might just attack him with loud rap music.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I wouldnt let him with in reach of my children. Once he showed he was mouthy and aggressive enough to threaten to shut my kid up I would create as much distance as possible while trying to calm him down. If he continued to close in on us and then if the situation progressed then use ,hand to hand,firearm,etc as necessary. I would definetly sue if he left a mark on my kid. The person I would worry about keeping calm the most is my wife (Dont mess with momma:xmad:)

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    paulwall_close.jpg

i might just attack him with loud rap music.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    According to the arrest report he's 5'9" and 180. Not a humongous guy, but he obviously has crazy on his side. Not worth the risk for someone like me. Put yourself between him and your kid and let him know it might be a good day to die.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I wouldn't Draw but i would sure beat the hell out of the guy.

Ever heard the term "Come to Jesus meeting"? ...yeah that

:+1: on what The Meach said....

You raise a hand to one of my offspring, prepare to get the thrashing of your life.

I'd come at you like a spider monkey all hopped up on the mountain dew.

Seriously....

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    paul wall would be an excellent choice. well played sir. well played.

Don't give ihateiraq any ideas. Next thing you know we will be seeing him arrested for torturing the poor population over there with this stuff. As I recall that was one of the torture methods complained about at Club Gitmo along with blowing cigar smoke in their face.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Don't give ihateiraq any ideas. Next thing you know we will be seeing him arrested for torturing the poor population over there with this stuff. As I recall that was one of the torture methods complained about at Club Gitmo along with blowing cigar smoke in their face.

some people in the military are fairly intelligent and able to learn from others. i happen to be one. i watched the abu ghraib situation play out, and thought to myself...what are the lessons i should take away from this....
    1. be wary of who you trust
    2. dont take photographs of anything

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Gun stays holstered and unseen in this case.

The verbal threat constitutes assault, and is a felony. I would drop him like a bag of dirt, and then call authorities.
    I just hope someone would stop me before I kill him with my bare hands!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I know what I'd LIKE to do given that situation, but I honestly cannot give you an answer having not experienced it. Chances are good that the suspect here went looking for a confrontation that day, and he found one. I think any parent will tell you that they would act appropriately and similarly if their offspring were threatened. I am also pretty sure that the suspect would NOT have acted the same way toward a FATHER with a child. Most of these people prey on easy targets. I know I am not an easy target, and I don't project myself as such, therefore I doubt the suspect would have acted similarly towards me. That said, if he did, it wouldn't have ended well for him. I would hate for it to come to violence, but a TX to the police would be the first step. How I respond will be determined by how far the suspect wants to take it.

Top Bottom