• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am thinking of getting a military rifle and was going to purchase an M1 Garand from the CMP. That has been my plan for about a year. However, I have recently read about the demise of the .30-06 ammunition and have been rethinking the M1 purchase. My other thought is to buy an M1A because it uses .308, which is still readily available in bulk and should be for the forseeable future.

I am looking for input on the pro's and con's of each to help in the decision making process. Thanks and let the input begin.

PeaShooter

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    At least buy one Garand if anything for the history behind them!

"the greatest implement of battle ever devised." -General George S. Patton !!!

Be careful though, they turn into an addiction.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    the field grade rifles the cmp has right are amazing. buy one before they are gone.

probably the best $600 i ever spent

What does the tag say yours guages? TE and ME? If I don't find anything worth buying at the 1500 I'm placing an order for 2 Garands, not sure if I want to buy a FG vs SG though. I'm very happy with my SG :D

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    If it was for shooting and history I would recommend the M1Garand, for a SHTF, self defense, etc. the M1A would be my choice. Both are awesome firearms and either way you can't go wrong. I would be hard pressed to pick one, having said that I would opt for the garand as they are eventually going to dry up and the M1A is in production and would buy it next.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Of course the M1a is going to cost double the Garand from CMP at this point. This will be a tough one. I have both and don't know which I would get rid of...

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    It was kind of ironic this thread came up. I have always wanted to buy a Garand for my father. He trained and carried one in the late 50's early 60's in the army. He told me years ago he always wanted one. I had looked at CMP a year or so ago and always seemed like something came up. Well dad is 70 now. Last night I was thinking the last time I was at his house I took a Kimber I just bought up for him to try. He wasn't feeling the best and said he would shoot it later. A few weeks before that I was showing him a 870 I'm building with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock. His shoulder was hurting and he said he would try it another time. Then it hit me that if I didn't get off my _ss and do this he may never enjoy the one gun he wanted for years.

Then tonight I saw this thread. It was a omen. I stopped screwing around and signed up for GCA. When my membership card arrives I'm going to drive over to Camp Perry and get my dad his gun. CMP is only 4 hours away. I do day trips for work that are farther away than that. Why haven't I already done this? I wish I had a good answer.

So now I have to research and decide if I want to try and get a Winchester, Springfield or Harrington & Richardson, (I never knew they even made them). Any advice would be appreciated.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Buy both. :)

I reall don't think you can go wrong with either. My :twocents: is that the Garand has a bit more historical value since it has become iconic in many a WWII and Korea infantry story.

There is still a decent amount of M2 ball out there, it just comes and goes on availability at the CMP. If you a reloader, you can make some very nice shooting loads that are safe on the rifle, and use the same 147 gr round that many folks use for their .308 / 7.62 Nato reloads.

That being said, I have a Korean era Garand, and have an absolute ball shooting it. After I get a WWII dated Garand receiver, the M1a is next on my list. :yesway:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Get both!!

S5000201-1.jpg

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    It's a post Korea Springfield. A Service Grade from CMP. It came with a new Boyds stock on it. I don't care for it and plan on replacing it with a GI stock.

Here she is with her HRA cousin.

HRA2.jpg

HRA on the right, Springfield on the left. The Springfield was a mail order, the HRA I picked out at the south store.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Very nice, thanks! I have an HRA as well, which was also originally a CMP service grade. Only non HRA parts on her surprisingly were the gas plug, bolt, stock and follower The rest of the guts were actually HRA. Some dealing on the CMP forum landed me the rest of the HRA parts I needed, and Ebay provided the correct stock with 1/2" DAS.

To the OP:
    I will say that one of the highlights of shooting for me has to have been an NRA sanctioned Highpower match on June 6th, 2010...exactly 66 years to the day of the D-day landings in France in WWII. There I was on the firing line with a dozen or so other M1-Garand owners (ok, one guy had an M1a national match, on had an AR).

The thunderous roar of those rifles going off as we sent rounds down range was absolutely amazing. To think that we're lucky enough to be able to own and shoot a rifle like that is due in very large part to the rifle itself. Without it, the outcome of WWII could have been much different.

Once you've held and shot a US Rifle, Caliber 30 M1, you will never be the same again. You'll dream at night of the distinctive "ting" of the 8 round clip ejecting after the last round, and long for a chance to get back to the range to spend time with your baby. Just watch out for "M1-thumb!" ;):yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dang it.... Looks like I am getting talked into a trip to the North Store. I only have one Garand.... now I need another.

Top Bottom