• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    my field grade's tag said 1 and 1:D

Wow, that's awesome. I'm going to order a FG and request a low ME and TE then. I don't care about the wood as much this go around. My first was USGI wood and matches well, very happy with it. I need a project to do anyway so if the wood is what brings it to a Field Grade then I'll have something to work on.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Then tonight I saw this thread. It was a omen. I stopped screwing around and signed up for GCA. When my membership card arrives I'm going to drive over to Camp Perry and get my dad his gun. CMP is only 4 hours away. I do day trips for work that are farther away than that. Why haven't I already done this? I wish I had a good answer.

You can sign up for the GCA in store; so you didn't have you sign up and wait; but I guess you can use the waiting time to do your research!

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Go with the M1A, if you ever have to fight with that rifle, the changeable mag feature of the M14 variant over the Garands 8 rd clip will make a big difference. I have seen old hands that could keep a Garand cooking with the 8 rd clips, but that is alot of training and not many can do it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    If you're an M1A fan - get one of each. No collection of firearms is complete without an M1 Garand.

I sure with the CMP would process my order. I've already got my next three purchases lined up but I won't go thorugh with them until this one is out of the way. Order was sent out on December 10th.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    After about a week your name will be on the list for GCA they can look you up and complete your order before you get the card. I think I had my card in less than 2 weeks
    OP, start reloading and you'll never run out of ammo for the Garand!
    The people at the North store are great to work with, I bought my second Garand about 2 years ago. Its a field grade and shoots great I think total it cost me $450 at the north store

Last edited:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Garand, CMP still has lots of HXP ammo. Buy a rifle and $500 bucks worth of ammo, you will be way ahead of a M1a with the finicky expensive mags.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Wow,
    This is a very interesting thread. So now that you have convinced me to get an M1 Garand, how am I to keep it fed? I plan on buying ammo from the CMP, as it seems the best deal going, but what happens when that dries up? Does anyone know if the Greek 30-06 they are selling is truly reloadable? Anyone have a source for other fair priced 30-06 Springfield Ammo? Which is the yes M1 Garand to get from the CMP, Springfield or Harrington Richardson? (service grade) Winchester (field grade?) SO many choices!
    I guess ammo is my biggest concern for now.
    Thanks folks

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    M1A is great rifle and I want one someday. M-1 Garand is GREATEST Battle Rifle of WWII and Korea. Proven on fields all over the world. Get one while they are reasonable and available. M1A will be there. Lots of M2 ball available now and for forseeable future

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Lots of old threads popping up lately. Anyway I own maybe 10 M1s and 3 M1As. The M!As get shot a LOT more than the M1s. I think I've only shot one of my M1s once in the last 3 years. M1As are great rifles and you can mod them to your personal taste and needs.

Top Bottom