• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    the theatre was a victim disarmament zone.

A "soft target".

When police arrive to these "soft Target" shootings they can do little initially, sort through who is a victim and who could potetially be a threat.

Impossible sometimes to act quickly.

Yet, a CCW holder who is at the scene initially can act immediately, and potentially neutralize the shooter quickly.

"gun free zones" create an easy target for cowards bent on psychotic revenge.

Off topic.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Very good insight. I guess you are correct. It is hard to imagine without immersing yourself into it daily. I came from a small department to Indy and still no where near prepared for it. Had no idea the kinds of things people do and how they live. I swim in it every day and sometimes it is hard to pull your self out. I have a hard time trying to explain it to people who are "looking in from the outside". I don't even try explaining it to my family. It gives you a VERY cynical outlook that is nearly impossible to shake.

I have said this for as long as I remember. You guys never get a call of "peaceful family at picnic", stop by and have a good time. You deal with evil everyday and therefore see evil everywhere. Something of an occupational hazzard I would think...

That difference of perspective is possibly the source of aggitation of the average Joe that has been pulled over and in their mind treated like a criminal for speeding or seen in public while legally carrying a firearm.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Unfortunatly they are out there. (remember Harless had a partner). This kind of attitude may be more common than we know.

Harless, while suspended, had other cops donate their sick days so his pay would not be lost, seems many shared his attitude.

Someone (Liberty Sanders, IIRC) posted when this happened that the other officers did not have a choice of whether or not to do that, as it was part of being in the FOP or some such. I don't recall the post and right now, I'm too lazy to look it up, but the point I'm going for is not to demonize them or jump to a (probably incorrect) conclusion based on only one fact in evidence.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yes an LTCH doesn't guarantee a gun on the person, but if you don't think that is a good clue that the person is likely armed with a gun then i don't know what to tell you

I have a DL in my wallet. i probably have a car.
    I have a motorcycle endorsement. I probably own/have owned a motorcycle.
    I have a stamped card from the hair club for men...I'm probably bald under all this horse hair.

Is any of that guaranteed? No. Is it likely?..If you say No, i've lost all faith in in humanity....

Get ready to lose some faith in humanity.

You have a DL. You *may* have a car.
    You have a motorcycle endorsement. You *may* have or have had a bike.
    I know nothing about the Hair Club for Men, as anyone who's met me can attest. :lmfao:
    lotsahair.gif

I have a LTCH, and yes, I carry. I know several people who have them and don't.

You say "every little bit of info helps". To a point, that's true, I'll grant that. I go to medical calls and sometimes, dispatch just goes WAY overboard with the info we get. I half expect someday to hear, "Patient reportedly had a tuna sandwich for lunch." over the radio, and no, I'm not engaging in hyperbole. It's right up there with "<unit number> Extreme signal 10"

I heard dispatch say that one at a previous job once... actually, once too often... and the reply, in a faux-Scottish brogue was, "I'm givin' 'er all she's go'! She's gonna blow!"

I never heard that dispatcher use the phrase "extreme signal 10" again. :laugh:

My point? With apologies to Denny, if you pull me over at the side of the road, the fact that I have a LTCH AND/OR a handgun is as relevant to you as the fact that I ate McDonald's for lunch last week. Neither will have any bearing on the stop whatsoever, and as Kut pointed out, it's gotten to a point of info overload. I get why my dispatch sometimes offers so much info: because the minute they don't tell us something they knew that we needed to know, it's on them and more importantly, it may cost a life (either the patient's or one of ours)

Like most (and yes, I'm playing the odds here) LTCH holders, I'm as "awesome" today as I was when I applied for my license... maybe more so. My worst offense is that sometimes I have a lead foot. :dunno: Knowing that I have a LTCH makes you no safer. Me being armed DOES make you safer, because, God forbid the need arises, you've got backup right there, even if you've just pulled me over and cited me for speeding. It's sad that so many officers (and one, IMHO, is three too many) have been taught that getting the citizen's gun away from him in all cases is the best practice. Some weren't taught that, and some broke out of that thought pattern, but some still hold to it.

Thanks for keeping this discussion civil (everyone!) It is appreciated.

Blessings,
    Bill

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Certainly not "drive-by" but there are 15 pages! Kinda heavy reading for 5:00 am. Just thought that my opinion might have some value also, even if I hadn't read everyone else's. Very sorry for the intrusion.:rolleyes:

Don't be so easily offended around here. We get a lot of those from people wanting to make a mad dash for the classified (50 post requirement). It is a dumb rule IMO because it makes many people want to post a whole lot of nonsense without actually contributing to a discussion or have any stake on the outcome of that post.

Case in point, your apparently rhetorical question (since you stated it was an opinion) was already discussed and was one of the main points brought up in nearly every page. Similarly, if there are 15 pages of discussion chances are a point has been brought up and discussed at some point in the conversation.

I don't make the rules just my :twocents:

PackinPreacher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Michigan's Thumb
    Darn ... I hate to hijack a thread!

But,I could care less about accumulating 50 posts. My access to the Marketplace over on Michigan Gun Owners more than satisfies my need to drool over new possibilities. I'm not surprised that my viewpoint was taken more than once before I expressed it. Thank you for your guidance. I supposed if I had simply quoted someone else who expressed the same opinion and smiley faced it :+1: it would have been better.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

But,I could care less about accumulating 50 posts. My access to the Marketplace over on Michigan Gun Owners more than satisfies my need to drool over new possibilities. I'm not surprised that my viewpoint was taken more than once before I expressed it. Thank you for your guidance. I supposed if I had simply quoted someone else who expressed the same opinion and smiley faced it :+1: it would have been better.

:+1:

:D

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

At least you haven't been negative-repped into oblivion.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    In a free country there should not be a "file" on me that tells all about me to law enforcement if I have never committed a felony or without probable cause to believe I have committed a serious crime.

But we are not a free country anymore.

Top Bottom