• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    it has been said already and I will say it again. running a plate and running the registered owner are two completely separate transactions. the plate will never generate a LTCH status return. the officer has to make a separate inquiry on an actual person to get a LTCH status.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    it has been said already and I will say it again. running a plate and running the registered owner are two completely separate transactions. the plate will never generate a LTCH status return. the officer has to make a separate inquiry on an actual person to get a LTCH status.

Ever feel like this guy, VUPD? :wallbash: Or more like this one? :horse:

:dunno: Whaddayagonnado? :n00b:

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I have no issue with the LTCH showing up with anything the police might run on me. If they are running my information for something, they certainly have a reason to pull me over. IF the LEO comes back and says, "I know you have a LTCH, would you please give me the gun now", then I believe I have the right to ask why. Unless the stop is a PC incident with an issue involving firearms, there is no reason to ask for my firearm, nor for me to produce it. And, in most cases, were I a LEO, I would feel better knowing the person in the car has passed a background check, and is legally carrying.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have no issue with the LTCH showing up with anything the police might run on me. If they are running my information for something, they certainly have a reason to pull me over. IF the LEO comes back and says, "I know you have a LTCH, would you please give me the gun now", then I believe I have the right to ask why. Unless the stop is a PC incident with an issue involving firearms, there is no reason to ask for my firearm, nor for me to produce it. And, in most cases, were I a LEO, I would feel better knowing the person in the car has passed a background check, and is legally carrying.

Just so you know, LEOs run people's plates all the time, just for the heck of it. They get the registered owner(s) from the plate and they can run your info for warrants or even (gasp) your LTCH info.

So they don't need a reason to pull you over to run your info. Gives you the warm and fuzzies doesn't it?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    but, but

when I am driving the hubbies truck and they run the plate and come up with his name (mine isn't on the registration), they have to have a way of getting me in there somehow because I'm no MrG and sometimes I get asked if I have a firearm on me before they ever see my info :eek:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    but, but

when I am driving the hubbies truck and they run the plate and come up with his name (mine isn't on the registration), they have to have a way of getting me in there somehow because I'm no MrG and sometimes I get asked if I have a firearm on me before they ever see my info :eek:

Two things come to mind, a search on the registered owner turns up your address and all known residents since you obviously don't match his description.

The other thing would be it shows up his LTCH and it would be safe to assume you might have one too.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Two things come to mind, a search on the registered owner turns up your address and all known residents since you obviously don't match his description.

The other thing would be it shows up his LTCH and it would be safe to assume you might have one too.

safe but I don't assume anything and I would hope they don't either

I am asked before they even see my DL of who I am if there are weapons in the truck... :dunno:

I could be his mistress for all they know, the mail lady, his daughter. :dunno:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    How many times have you been pulled over???

And do you look like his mistress? :laugh:

It could just be SOP for the officer to ask about weapons. IMPD hires hoplophobes too, not just guys like Denny and VUPD.

that is exactly what I was trying to get across... It is probably just SOP.

I've been pulled over twice while driving his truck... it just doesn't seem to be going that fast by feel :dunno: I guess I need to pay attention to the speedo

I do look much younger than him so yes, I could look like his mistress :cool:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It could just be SOP for the officer to ask about weapons.

With some of the guys I know it is just SOP. We don't have a duty to inform but that doesn't mean they can't ask. "Sir/ma'am do you have any weaopons, drugs or other illegal items in your possession?" They tell me at you would be surprised how many people will fess up and hand them the dope.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    With some of the guys I know it is just SOP. We don't have a duty to inform but that doesn't mean they can't ask. "Sir/ma'am do you have any weaopons, drugs or other illegal items in your possession?" They tell me at you would be surprised how many people will fess up and hand them the dope.

Well... Since they already know about your LTCH when they pull you over there isn't any reason to ask those of us that have one. It goes against Richardson.

And no, I wouldn't be surprised, drug addicts are morons and have tons of superstitions about police procedure and what authority they have.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well... Since they already know about your LTCH when they pull you over there isn't any reason to ask those of us that have one. It goes against Richardson.

And no, I wouldn't be surprised, drug addicts are morons and have tons of superstitions about police procedure and what authority they have.

They might know about your LTCH if they run your name. Still doesn't mean you have a gun. But yes I agree with you.

Still not sure it would stop them from asking about "illegal weapons or drugs". They can ask whatever they want. Just that once they have confirmation of a valid LTCH all questions about the legally possessed handgun is supposed to stop. So we are safe carrying the handgun but the case of throwing stars in the trunk are a no go. :laugh:

After taking Guy's class with you I agree that the best course of action is to just hand them my DL and LTCH. They know I have the gun, they know the LTCH is valid, no further questioning is necessary, business is conducted and everyone is on their way.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aaaaaaactually...

All they know is that the registered owner of the vehicle with that plate holds an LTCH, whoever that is.

All they know about you is that you're the driver of said vehicle.

It will require a linkage of the two via License, Registration, and Insurance (LRI) for Richardson to kick in and they have to shut up about the guns.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Aaaaaaactually...

All they know is that the registered owner of the vehicle with that plate holds an LTCH, whoever that is.

All they know about you is that you're the driver of said vehicle.

It will require a linkage of the two via License, Registration, and Insurance (LRI) for Richardson to kick in and they have to shut up about the guns.

Would they not be required to get your info before asking about weapons then? You need to at least TRY to make a positive determination of who it is before you start asking them about stuff.

When they pull you over for suspended drivers license by running your plates and the registered driver comes back as suspended they make a determination that you are likely the registered driver. That same logic should be used for a LTCH pop up. It shouldn't work the other way... As in "well, we had no idea if that was the registered driver..." When they can be sure enough to pull you over.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Would they not be required to get your info before asking about weapons then? You need to at least TRY to make a positive determination of who it is before you start asking them about stuff.

When they pull you over for suspended drivers license by running your plates and the registered driver comes back as suspended they make a determination that you are likely the registered driver. That same logic should be used for a LTCH pop up. It shouldn't work the other way... As in "well, we had no idea if that was the registered driver..." When they can be sure enough to pull you over.
    Haha.. So young... So hopeful.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't have a problem with this information being given to a LEO. It should be public information since it is a licence to practice something in the State.

I have a license to Practice Engineering in this State and a license to practice my 2nd Ammendment. Do I need a license to practice a Right? Right now I do, therefore at this point in time, I see no difference other that one is protected by Our 2nd Ammendment and the other is protected by the quality of my work.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You know that. I know that. The dog taking a leak on the fire hydrant outside my house knows that. Cops don't know that.

By the principle that all power in inherent in the individual and lent to the government, the assumption in any case must be that unless explicitly empowered, the government is disempowered. Unless explicitly disempowered, the individual is empowered. Any decision of the Judiciary is required to cut in favour of individual sovereignty and liberty. Sadly, the Statists rule the roost for the moment, and they're making those decisions bass ackwards. All decisions of the Judiciary are cutting in favour of the State against individual liberty and sovereignty. If a decision inhibits police action, it must needs be the wrong decision in the opinion of modern jurisprudence.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    We should just all start registering our weapons so that cops can know exactly who has what and can know it for a traffic stop or anything else. That's much better for officer safety, since a lot of people own guns, but don't have a LTCH. The fact that they should approach safely, because most criminals don't care about a LTCH anyways is just a myth.

Apply purple liberally.

GPS chips under the handgrips come next! :n00b:

Top Bottom