• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What gets me the most about this story is the description of the cops' actions.

First, we have the "bad" cops who proned our boy out and used rough and hurtful language.

Then, we have the "good" or "cool" cops who weren't acting like jerks, and later BS'd with our boy about firearms and the weather.

The way I see it in this case, if the particulars presented are fact, both sets of cops were a-holes...the "bad" cops were "bad" for obvious reasons, but the "good" cops weren't so "good" because they stood there and let the "bad" cops do their act and didn't step in to stop it.

I'm neither a cop hater nor a holster sniffer. Just pointing some things out that haven't been said yet...

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport

First, we have the "bad" cops who proned our boy out and used rough and hurtful language.

Then, we have the "good" or "cool" cops who weren't acting like jerks, and later BS'd with our boy about firearms and the weather.

The way I see it in this case, if the particulars presented are fact, both sets of cops were a-holes...the "bad" cops were "bad" for obvious reasons, but the "good" cops weren't so "good" because they stood there and let the "bad" cops do their act and didn't step in to stop it.

I'm neither a cop hater nor a holster sniffer. Just pointing some things out that haven't been said yet...

Things that make you go hmmmm!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    So about 15 mins ago im walking into speedway on the corner of sherman and w state here in fort wayne IN. I come out and a man ask if that a real gun on my hio {i am open carrying} I said yes he said thats agains the law and i need to cover it up.....I said no i dont he says ok im calling the cops.......Police arive tell me to get face down on the ground i said ok I remained calm and cool Once they took my firearm i talk to them 2 officers were complete JACKASSES the other 2-3 were ok.........The 2 trashed talked me called me a idiot told me open carry is illeagle i told them no its not they argued with me calling me more names.......One officer was a really nice guy By the name of Steve Tagmeyer i believe....Well after all said and done The officer that was a jerk said he is goin to file this report with the ISP to get my permit taken away........Now isnt this a violation of my rights......BTW my wife is bawling right now ive tried to consoul her .....she isnt mad at me just scared.....So if someone could call and talk to me about them taking my license away that be great pm me for my number ive got a lot of questions......AND advise from LEs in here would be great.....Ill give you more info whe ya call

Why didn't you leave?

Anyways, GET A LAWYER AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN NOW.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I would not have left either imagine the "man hunt" that it might cause. I think you acted the right way by staying, yeah you could have left and maybe nothing happens. What happens when they pull you over down the road with 10 cop cars each with guns drawn imagine how that would go down. Not to mention what happens when someone's finger get a little to "itchy", not saying LEO are itching to shoot people but sh*t happens.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Hummm..., just think'n here out loud a little so to speak. Let's see good cops, bad cops... good cop, bad cop ... that's got a familiar ring to it I've got to say.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I would not have left either imagine the "man hunt" that it might cause. I think you acted the right way by staying, yeah you could have left and maybe nothing happens. What happens when they pull you over down the road with 10 cop cars each with guns drawn imagine how that would go down. Not to mention what happens when someone's finger get a little to "itchy", not saying LEO are itching to shoot people but sh*t happens.

Or it could have been just unable to locate.:dunno:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

I wonder if Indy317 will chime in on that...

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Interesting that everyone wants you to sue. Someone did state that this will cost you money and you will need to go for the long haul and he is right.

I think it ok to stop bashing LEO's for the actions of what we are preceiving to be two bad apples.
    I would suggest speaking with an attorney, but you should also see about making an appointment with the Mayor and the city attorney. At that time you should file an official complaint and let them know that you have spoke with the media. Oh, I forgot to mention that you should also speak to the media about this and invite them to follow up the complaint with the Mayor. Don't make this just about your 2nd admn rights but your rights as a law abiding citizen. See if there are city councilmen that are pro 2nd admn and get them involved as well. This won't cost you and arm and a leg thru this process - . If this part fails, then "LAWYER UP".

Good luck and I hope that this is resolved without the use of the courts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    SV, I live near you. I would be glad to meet you and discuss this with you in person, and help you any way that I can. If you just need support when/if you go meet Rusty York, I'm up for the short road trip with you. PM me if I can be of help.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Ok, I've only made it about half way through all these post but I want to get this up before it slips my mind.

DASH CAMS!!!!

Get a lawyer and subpoena those recordings! Officers have gotten so used to having them around they forget they are there. The officers have to wear mics and if any of the warning lights were turn on, the cams were recording.

Alot of departments also require their officers to wear "On Officer Cam". Its about half the size of a bic lighter. It records about 12 hours of video with audio. The officer has to clip it on his shirt. I don't know if Fort Wayne uses them but some of the smaller departments around Fort Wayne do. Subpoena those recordings also if they use those cams also.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Searching Fort Wayne Police Dept's website, this is the only City Ordinatce I could find concerning carrying a hundgun in the city of Fort Wayne.

§ 97.62 HUNTING, FIREWORKS, AND FIREARMS PROHIBITED.
    No person shall be allowed to carry firearms; to molest, hunt, harm, frighten, kill, trap, pursue, chase, tease, shoot or throw objects at or to set snares for any wildlife, animals, birds, reptiles and fish within the limits of any park or within 500 feet thereof except with written permission of the Department. Fireworks, firearms, "BB" guns, slingshots, pea shooters, blow guns and paint ball guns are prohibited in all park areas unless permission has been obtained from the Department. No person is permitted to practice archery or use a bow and arrow or crossbow or other similar device in any park.

Statement from Fort Wayne City Police Officer Joyner posted on the Police Dept web site.

There is no requirement to keep a firearm concealed when on your person; however who would want to carry it unconcealed. We have had many past discussions concerning this question. You might enjoy going back to review them.

fwpd.org :: View topic - Concealed or not concealed permit????

"I find nothing in the law book that requires one to "conceal" a firearm when properly licensed to carry. However the law of common sense dictates that one would not carry a firearm when properly licensed exposed. With regard to part two of your question, all places posted "no firearms allowed"."

fwpd.org :: View topic - Conceal to carry laws!

Now I find this load of BS.

"You have an obligation to inform the officer that you possess a valid permit and as a result you are armed. NEVER REACH FOR THE WEAPON and KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL at all times for obvious reasons. The officer will take it from there. If the individual applied for their permit in Fort Wayne or Allen County the permit information would be available to us when we run your information in the computer. However if the person was from outside of our area and had a valid permit, we would have to request our records personnel to run a special search to be provided that information."

Last time I checked Indiana Code there was nothing there stating that we have an obligation to tell an officer we are carring unless directly ask by an officer unlike Ohio law. Granted the one time I was pulled over carrying I did tell the officer and he thanked me for telling him. But reguardless, other officers should not be telling people they have an obligation to.

fwpd.org :: View topic - What happens Concealed Weapons?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    14 pages and no one has yet made the following suggestion...

So about 15 mins ago im walking into speedway on the corner of sherman and w state here in fort wayne IN. I come out and a man ask if that a real gun on my hip {i am open carrying} I said yes he said thats agains the law and i need to cover it up.....I said no i dont he says ok im calling the cops.......

"Don't trouble yourself, sir; I'll call them myself to report my 'illegal activity'. I am right, and you are wrong." (Grab cell phone and dial the non-emergency dispatch #)
    "FWPD..."
    "My name is ____ and I am at (location). I am being harassed by some guy for the lawful, licensed carry of my firearm in accordance with Indiana state law. He's being a bit aggressive about the fact that my defensive firearm in not concealed, even though I know for a fact that both open and concealed carry are permitted by my LTCH."
    (Ask the genius directly...)
    "You aren't planning on attacking me, are you?" (watch as he spits and sputters more non-sense... :blahblah: )
    "At the moment there seems to be no need to send an officer, I just want him to know that I am legally carry as provided for by my LTCH.
    (Hand the phone to the :dumbass: )
    "Here, do you want to talk to them, 'Expert'??"

Then sit back and watch him make a bigger fool of himself....

Police arive tell me to get face down on the ground

Probably because you let this anti-self defense thinks-he-knows-it-all-but-knows-jack-:poop: nut case spin a :bs: tale of all the horror, destruction, and villainy you and your OC'ed firearm were causing, instead of beating him to the punch and calling the police yourself. It has been said here before that the first caller is naturally assumed to be the victim/good guy. I can almost guarantee that he *didn't* tell the dispatcher, "There is a man calmly pumping gas in his vehicle, and he also happens to have a holstered firearm on his hip." Most likely he said something like, "THERE IS A GUY WAVING A GUN AROUND AT THE GAS STATION!!! I THINK HE IS ABOUT TO ROB THE PLACE OR KILL SOMEONE!!!" :rolleyes: :nailbite:

i said ok I remained calm and cool Once they took my firearm i talk to them 2 officers were complete JACKASSES the other 2-3 were ok.........The 2 trashed talked me called me a idiot told me open carry is illeagle

I think the DNR is the agency that is tasked with taking care of ill eagles. :D If there was one around the gas station and the officers didn't report it, that was probably illegal as well... (Sorry mate, no grammar Nazi, but couldn't resist... ;) ) I would definitely be getting on the horn with their Professional Standards Office about the extremely unprofessional behavior of the two officers.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I wonder if Indy317 will chime in on that...

Cops get a lot of protections, but one thing they can't do is just make up laws. The court cases I have seen in recent years make it clear that the courts do think that the LEOs should know the laws, at least a good over view. I can't remember the particulars about every law, as some laws, there are about two or three things that need to be met in order to have a violation. I keep printed out copies of the actual wording of a lot of laws and read them over and over and try my best to memorize them.

In this case, all the poster, and anyone else in this situation can do, is file complaints and/or lawsuits. Complaints may or may not change the behavior, depends upon the department and officers. Lawsuits which are settled or the court rules in the plaintiff's favor tend to do more, as there is a monetary loss to the department/municipality. As far as suing the "good cops," I don't know if a court would rule them liable under some "failure to protect" type logic or not.

check this ruling out. may not apply here but it sets good precedent.

Federal judge rules police cannot detain people for openly carrying guns - Glock Talk

Only sets good precedent in states where OCing in and of itself is _never_ a crime. In Indiana, OCing _might_ be a crime, so this ruling is irrelevant when it comes to Indiana.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Huh learned something new. I was under the standing that in order for it to be used in court both parties had to be aware of the recording. :yesway:
    I believe that's for phone calls. I do video AND audio recordings of all the protests I go on and it's really nice have proof of what happens.

Top Bottom