• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Convience stores dont use tapes any more, the use DVRS and they will have them, if not at the store, than at their home office. I wouldnt look for the store chain in this incident to be very cooperative or give you this information willingly

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    i think its time for me to buy a digital recorder and maybe a vid camera.... so when this happens be prepared... pull the stuff out and get it rolling...

sorry to hear this..
    If you buy a good audio recorder, just turn it on whenever you leave the house. Mine will record for hours at a time. That way, whenever you stop in at any location, it's already recording, and then you don't have to try and hit the record button when your face is in the gravel. Then, when you return home, and nothing eventful happened that day, just hit the delete button. Pretty simple. I do it a lot.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Convience stores dont use tapes any more, the use DVRS and they will have them, if not at the store, than at their home office. I wouldnt look for the store chain in this incident to be very cooperative or give you this information willingly
    No one's saying that Speedway should give our friend the recording, we're just saying that Speedway needs to hold on to their copy because this could turn into a legal battle.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Contact the ACLU! They may pick up the case for you. It seems like their actions would fall under the category of unlawful detention or deprivation of cival liberties/cival rights. They might contact the department for you. Of course this only applies if you are correct on the legality of OC in that city.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I ageee they should give it up, but a lawyers going to have to make them, they dont want to be involved in this sort of thing, and they dont allow employees, vendors, or contractors to carry on their property, so I assume they arent pro-gun

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Typically I back the LE simply because of the task they have in our society. Not being on-scene myself, if this occurred, then you MUST do the following:

1. Sit down and calmly write down everything that happened, from the moment you arrived until an hour after you left. Do this without passion. If you know of any witnesses, get their observations.
    2. Request, in writing and e-mail, a copy of the tape/digital recording of this event from the owner of the store in question. Ensure that the CORPORATE office is notified. Do this NOW as they may attempt to erase if they believe they have made a mistake.
    3. Research the particular laws regarding OC at that exact location, gather this info.
    4. Immediately make a FORMAL Police complaint, in writing, and in e-mail. Ask that Internal Affairs assign an officer to your complaint, and that you get in contact with this officer ASAP. After doing this, see if there is a "Community" Ombudsman or civilian that handles complaints against the department in question. Contact them and make a formal complaint.
    5. Contact an attorney and schedule an appointment. Bring ALL of the info you have gathered to this meeting.

All of this is what causes LE to act. If you are SILENT, they assume that all is well. Modern society, governments, and LE in the US only reacts to the very real threat of a lawsuit. Sad but true.

JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    Society Not ready for OC

What happened to Silentvoice71 is the exact reason I CC; I don't want the hassles that he has gone through.
    Until Society is ready for open carry, anyone that does open carry even though legal should be prepared for this kind of ridicule and false accusations.

Yes it sucks that we have all been stereotyped into bad people because we exercise our 2nd amendment right to carry firearms.

We here in Indiana do have the choice to either open carry or Conceal carry. I choose CC, and until open carry is accepted more in society, I doubt I will change my carry habits. That’s my choice here in Indiana.

I would be sure to file a complaint on the LEOS that were unprofessional in Silentvoice71‘s case.

That’s my 2 cents on the issue.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    What happened to Silentvoice71 is the exact reason I CC; I don't want the hassles that he has gone through.
    Until Society is ready for open carry, anyone that does open carry even though legal should be prepared for this kind of ridicule and false accusations.

Yes it sucks that we have all been stereotyped into bad people because we exercise our 2nd amendment right to carry firearms.

We here in Indiana do have the choice to either open carry or Conceal carry. I choose CC, and until open carry is accepted more in society, I doubt I will change my carry habits. That’s my choice here in Indiana.

I would be sure to file a complaint on the LEOS that were unprofessional in Silentvoice71‘s case.

How will it ever be accepted if people don't do it?

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    HA HA happens to the best of us.... i cant believe it hasn't turned into that already.... hopefully people ignore and move on this thread has potential im fallowing it for sure to see what happens with the op

BIGHORN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    CLAY COUNTY
    This kind of suff has got to stop. Police who do not know the laws they are sworn to enforce !! Everday people not knowing the "Open Carry" is LEGAL in Indiana.

If you contacted the NRA, I am sure they would run some ad's in the local paper letting people know that "Open-carry" IS legal in Indiana.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This kind of suff has got to stop. Police who do not know the laws they are sworn to enforce !! Everday people not knowing the "Open Carry" is LEGAL in Indiana.

If you contacted the NRA, I am sure they would run some ad's in the local paper letting people know that "Open-carry" IS legal in Indiana.

I agree completely. It has always bothered me that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" for me, when the police themselves often don't know the laws they are enforcing. I've seen police officers claim that they can't possibly know all the laws they have to enforce. I'm very sure that's true. But if that's the case, then how can *I*, a person who has NOT been trained in the law, and HASN'T made the law my life's work, possibly be expected to know and obey them all? I would bet there are Indiana Supreme Court Justices who don't know all the laws. But I, as a citizen, am expected to know and abide by them all.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I agree completely. It has always bothered me that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" for me, when the police themselves often don't know the laws they are enforcing. I've seen police officers claim that they can't possibly know all the laws they have to enforce. I'm very sure that's true. But if that's the case, then how can *I*, a person who has NOT been trained in the law, and HASN'T made the law my life's work, possibly be expected to know and obey them all? I would bet there are Indiana Supreme Court Justices who don't know all the laws. But I, as a citizen, am expected to know and abide by them all.

... and this being very true, shouldn't we as a society, and police in particular ere on the side of liberty and freedom?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I agree contact a attorney, NRA, GOA and every other pro 2A institution you can. Get ahold of the people at WOWO and go public with this ordeal. If you havent filed a complaint do so at the sime time you go public on WOWO. I recommend complimenting the professionalism of the good officers you dealt with and the describe how you were treated by the other officers. I think its very important to know how many officers we have in this city that do not know the laws they are supposed to enforce. The more we remain silent about the wrong doings of the BAD LEO's the more power we give them to do what they want and continue to trample our rights.

Contacting WOWO was a good idea. Didn't think of that.

contacted wowo and the nra
    Out of curiosity... since I don't see the report on the WOWO local news page yet, I'm wondering if you sent the email directly to the news department or to one of the talk show hosts? I'm not really sure if they'd report it along with the morning news, but it would be a good topic for discussion for one of the hosts to talk about and have a call-in session.

I think we need to organize a INGO OC event in Fort Wayne!

Let us know when and where. I think there are several here who would be willing to help with this.

Count me in. I'm still in school in Terre Haute, but if the event lines up with a time I'll be home (or could afford the time and money to make the drive home just for the event), I'll be there to show my support for legal OC.

Ft. Wayne is out of control it sounds like. I will NEVER be going there, until some cops are fired
    It really isn't so bad as to call it "out of control". I OC around Fort Wayne all the time without issue. What we have here is an isolated incident, which should be dealt with, but that should not necessarily reflect upon the city as a whole.

I thought it was humorous that your location says Indianapolis and you speak about The Fort being out of control. :) I know many people from Fort Wayne who say Indy is "too big" for them or too "gun-unfriendly". (This post has several first-hand reports by a personal friend who moved to Fort Wayne to get out of Indy.) I want to reiterate, I'm not trying to start a flamewar about Indy-vs-FW, but your post caught me by surprise and kinda made me chuckle :)

Jeez, it took forever for me to read all of that. Sorry to hear what happened. I hope whatever action you take has a good outcome.

And it was only on page 12 when you read it! I had 16 pages to get through! And who knows how many more posts since I started replying to all these quotes?!

14 pages and no one has yet made the following suggestion...

"Don't trouble yourself, sir; I'll call them myself to report my 'illegal activity'. I am right, and you are wrong." (Grab cell phone and dial the non-emergency dispatch #)
    "FWPD..."
    "My name is ____ and I am at (location). I am being harassed by some guy for the lawful, licensed carry of my firearm in accordance with Indiana state law. He's being a bit aggressive about the fact that my defensive firearm in not concealed, even though I know for a fact that both open and concealed carry are permitted by my LTCH."
    (Ask the genius directly...)
    "You aren't planning on attacking me, are you?" (watch as he spits and sputters more non-sense... :blahblah: )
    "At the moment there seems to be no need to send an officer, I just want him to know that I am legally carry as provided for by my LTCH.
    (Hand the phone to the :dumbass: )
    "Here, do you want to talk to them, 'Expert'??"

Then sit back and watch him make a bigger fool of himself....

[snip]

It has been said here before that the first caller is naturally assumed to be the victim/good guy. I can almost guarantee that he *didn't* tell the dispatcher, "There is a man calmly pumping gas in his vehicle, and he also happens to have a holstered firearm on his hip." Most likely he said something like, "THERE IS A GUY WAVING A GUN AROUND AT THE GAS STATION!!! I THINK HE IS ABOUT TO ROB THE PLACE OR KILL SOMEONE!!!" :rolleyes: :nailbite:

Wow, that was a great idea. Repped.

I already have the non-emergency numbers for the local PD and county sheriff offices in both cities I frequent saved in my phone, and I guess that would be a great time to use them.

10F031738 11:18:23 62 PARTY ARMED 21XX SHERMAN BLVD
    Here is the report number from the Activity log on the FWPD website

Quoted for reference so I can look it up later.

You are certainly not alone. My brother has made the same decision, and my dad for the most part CC's. Being the only young, dumb one left in my family, I don't have any big reason to change my legal ways just to avoid the hassle. I want to OC; it's legal; I do so responsibly, safely, and in a non-alarming manner (as the OP did); I don't care if I'm detained for a while and have to deal with misinformed/crusading LEOs; so that's why I go ahead and OC. Someday when I have a gf/wife/family/job, I may decide that it is no longer worth the hassle, but until then... I'm game. (Of course, there are places where OC may not be appropriate, and in those cases I will CC. But I prefer to OC when I can.)

How will it ever be accepted if people don't do it?
    Right on. I won't try to convince everybody that they should OC because I understand that not everybody wants to, could, or should. But I do have an interest in raising general awareness so that those of us who do want to OC may do so without causing alarm among people who don't realize that it is legal and will do what I can to help raise that general societal awareness.

OK... long post. I read it over and think I got all the typos out. If you find one, please just be grammar-Nazi-lite, eh? :ingo:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

The problem is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of state laws. Some state laws are very simple, others are complex, requiring specific criteria to be met. In a perfect world, every cop would memorize every statue. That is not likely. Good lawyers memorize the laws, court rulings, etc., so they can be a good asset to their clients. Good lawyers make good money, much more than an average police officer is going to make. If you want high IQs in uniforms, you are going to have to match the pay they can make in the private sector. Not only that, you might have to pay even more given the work environment. How many here have applied, and are still applying to work in law enforcement? How many here would rather someone else do the job then you can turn around and complain about how it is being done?

Also, stop making blanket statements that might get non-license holders in trouble. Open carry is _only_ legal if you have a license and/or are a member of one of the excepted classes of people. Outside of that open carry is ILLEGAL!

But if that's the case, then how can *I*, a person who has NOT been trained in the law, and HASN'T made the law my life's work, possibly be expected to know and obey them all? I would bet there are Indiana Supreme Court Justices who don't know all the laws. But I, as a citizen, am expected to know and abide by them all.

When cops say they don't know the law, they usually mean they don't know the exact wording of the law. Most will have a firm grasp, some won't until they are told, and others will never get it, but given rarely anyone wants to do the job, they were the only bodies left to give a badge too. I have never known of a situation where the suspect didn't know they were doing something wrong. There are some gray areas, but for the most part, the crimes we are talking about are your basic crimes that most folks know their actions are at a minimum questionable (ie: Going onto property that is not yours to skateboard, then claiming ignorance of trespass law...not gonna fly, as it is not _YOUR_ property, and you know that).

The problem is this is a double edge sword. I have gotten complaints for _not_ doing something. This affects my personnel file, and could affect my chances are promotion. Some departments are good about only including substantiated complaints, others throw them all in regardless of fault. Look at the other thread on here about shots fired. People complaining because the cops didn't play jackboot and 'do more'. It is a no win situation. The person complaining about their rights being violated because a cop makes a mistake in the law will turn around and demand the cops "do something!" in an incident they deem unacceptable, or when the person doesn't think the cops are doing enough.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Posted by the State of Indiana.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or
    exposed?​
    Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may
    alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private
    property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted
    areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for
    official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended
    that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or
    have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement​
    officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Now I would like to throw in a Supreme Court Case.

On September 8, 2009, United States District Judge Bruce D. Black of the United States District Court for New Mexico entered summary judgment in a civil case for damages against Alamogordo, NM police officers. The Judge's straight shootin' message to police: Leave open carriers alone unless you have "reason to believe that a crime [is] afoot."On these facts, Judge Black concluded as a matter of law that the police violated Matthew St. John's constitutional rights under the Fourth Amendment because they seized and disarmed him even though there was not "any reason to believe that a crime was afoot." Judge Black's opinion is consistent with numerous high state and federal appellate courts, e.g., the United States Supreme Court in Florida v. J.L. (2000) (detaining man on mere report that he has a gun violates the Fourth Amendment) and the Washington Appeals Court in State v. Casad (2004) (detaining man observed by police as openly carrying rifles on a public street violates the Fourth Amendment).

Kudos to Judge Black!!

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thankfully he is a lifetime appointee. Unfortunately, our State Supreme Court Judges will bend over backwards to justify a bad stop and to rationalize an unreasonable detention. Thanks Dandy Randy.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm not going to make any excuses for the responding Officers, but given the history of armed robberies at that Speedway, they are going to take very seriously any report of a man with a gun.

Scott Tegtmeyer is indeed a fine, level headed Officer.

Go to 1320 East Creighton with the date and approximate time of the incident. The people in Records can easily look up any report made of the incident, if there is any. At the very least, you will get the control number for any complaints you wish to file. They will also get you the complaint form for you to fill out. All complaints against Officers go to Internal Affairs and are investigated thoroughly.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd be looking up the shadiest mouthpiece I could find and seeing what a nasty lawsuit I could lay on them.

Spread Eagle on a gas station floor...Naw this is wrong.

Anyone that carry's a weapon for self defense should already have a lawyer on retainer and on their speed dial.

TK :twocents:

Top Bottom