Southern Hills

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    The manufacturer even says that it is a binary trigger:

FOSTECH ECHO AR II GEN 2 BINARY DROP IN TRIGGER FOR AR-15 NO PROPRIETARY BOLT CARRIER

Can you show me exactly where it says that on their page please?

https://fostech.us/echo-trigger.html

They are made from different manufacturers (Fostech vs Franklin Armory)...unless they are owned by the same parent company, then I might see it being the same thing...

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    unless they are owned by the same parent company, then I might see it being the same thing...

"Binary Trigger" is the general name of a trigger group using a "pull and release" type of operating system. The mechanics may vary among manufactures on how that is accomplished, but the net result ends up with a "pull and release" firing capability.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    "Binary Trigger" is the general name of a trigger group using a "pull and release" type of operating system. The mechanics may vary among manufactures on how that is accomplished, but the net result ends up with a "pull and release" firing capability.

Do you have a source for this? I would like to verify.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do you have a source for this? I would like to verify.

FWIW, when I google “binary trigger”, I get results for both Franklin and Fostech, and then one or two others.

INGO can quibble over anything :D. To me, it’s kinda like Xerox or Kleenex. It may (I don’t know) have been a term for a specific product at one time but in my mind, it’s now a generic term to describe anyone’s pull and release sort of trigger system.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    FWIW, when I google “binary trigger”, I get results for both Franklin and Fostech, and then one or two others.

INGO can quibble over anything :D. To me, it’s kinda like Xerox or Kleenex. It may (I don’t know) have been a term for a specific product at one time but in my mind, it’s now a generic term to describe anyone’s pull and release sort of trigger system.
    You're probably dating yourself with Xerox. Kids these days probably have no clue what that would be. :):

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

That's a search, that's not how the company advertises it. How often do you search for something and find something else that is similar, or even completely unrelated? Try a search for the echo trigger and you'll find the Binary Trigger as well. ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's a search, that's not how the company advertises it. How often do you search for something and find something else that is similar, or even completely unrelated? Try a search for the echo trigger and you'll find the Binary Trigger as well. ;)

Sooo...it’s a Puffs vs Kleenex debate? :lmfao:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Aspirin was a brand name at one time, but they lost their copyright due to “common usage”. Several years ago Kleenex was on the verge of losing their name, and they did a HUGE advertising campaign for Kleenex “facial tissues” and were able to keep their name. As far as Fostech being a binary trigger, is IS by definition a binary trigger whether they call it that or not. They have copyrighted the term “echo trigger” so every other manufacturer has to call theirs a binary trigger - even though they are basically the same thing. If a car manufacturer forgets (or decides not to) use the word “car” in its advertisements, IT IS STILL A CAR.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)
    Go down to the trigger types and they define binary trigger.

Up until you mentioned them, I wasn't aware of fostech triggers, but I've certainly heard of binary triggers for years.
    --Rick

protias...

My source as well. As said before...people frequently refer to Kleenex instead of facial tissue or Xerox instead of photocopy. Are they wrong? That depends on how picky someone is.

Saying "Binary" is simpler and quicker then "pull and release". You may use any descriptor you wish. However, just so you know, usually the common vernacular on this forum will refer to "Binary" as any "pull and release" type trigger operating system. That has settled in over several years and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Aspirin was a brand name at one time, but they lost their copyright due to “common usage”. Several years ago Kleenex was on the verge of losing their name, and they did a HUGE advertising campaign for Kleenex “facial tissues” and were able to keep their name. As far as Fostech being a binary trigger, is IS by definition a binary trigger whether they call it that or not. They have copyrighted the term “echo trigger” so every other manufacturer has to call theirs a binary trigger - even though they are basically the same thing. If a car manufacturer forgets (or decides not to) use the word “car” in its advertisements, IT IS STILL A CAR.

protias

You will see a theme with the responses. If you want to continually debate over the technical name vs the common vernacular over an item, then your time here will be frustrating.

Clip vs Magazine

There are 2 ways one can pronounce Garand... Ga Rand vs Gar And

FTF.....Is it Failure To Feed or Failure To Fire???

Bullet vs Shell vs Cartridge vs Round

Accuracy vs Precision

Accidental Discharge vs Negligent Discharge

Pistol vs Handgun

Extractor vs Ejector

Suppressor vs Silencer

High Capacity Magazine vs Standard Capacity Magazine

Kick vs Recoil

That is all I can come up with for now, but I am sure many more could be added by other INGO'ers.

The point I am trying to make is that you will need to learn to roll with it when people use vernacular that is different that yours. If you are going to debate and/or argue over vernacular each time this comes up in the firearms world, you will not get anything accomplished and will not engrace yourself to others.

Top Bottom