• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Every time I see people mention this, I'm reminded of an old joke...

Guy goes into a pizza parlor and orders a small pizza. Guy behind the counter asks, "Would you like that cut into 4 pieces or 8 pieces?"
    Customer says, "Better just cut it into 4 pieces. I don't think I could eat 8 pieces."

:):

Probably also an AOC joke in there somewhere.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Reading that crap gives me a headache.

In plain english the SUPREME COURT is NOT willing to listen to the case at this time since the APPEAL COURTS, under it, has yet to hear the case. They want the case to go thru the process.

Make me wonder when if any the process is passed up and a case goes all the way to the top after trial?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hooray, those Trump appointed justices bravely.... sent the case back to the lower courts for further review. That'll sure show those gun grabbers at the ATF.

giphy.gif

They literally already identified the erroneous assumption the lower courts took. So why push it back down? The Supreme Court's job isn't to uphold the judicial bureaucracy. It's their job to determine constitutionality of laws and government actions. If they can already determine the lower courts were wrong, then fricking overturn it and move on. Justice delayed is justice denied... you know, I guess, unless the court says otherwise.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hooray, those Trump appointed justices bravely.... sent the case back to the lower courts for further review. That'll sure show those gun grabbers at the ATF.

giphy.gif

They literally already identified the erroneous assumption the lower courts took. So why push it back down? The Supreme Court's job isn't to uphold the judicial bureaucracy. It's their job to determine constitutionality of laws and government actions. If they can already determine the lower courts were wrong, then fricking overturn it and move on. Justice delayed is justice denied... you know, I guess, unless the court says otherwise.

Dot your i’s. Cross your t’s. And if it gets up this far, we’ll hear it. That’s what I got from Gorsuch. They didn’t just dismiss it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dot your i’s. Cross your t’s. And if it gets up this far, we’ll hear it. That’s what I got from Gorsuch. They didn’t just dismiss it.
    Gorsuch has already shown he is a stickler about things getting done the right way.

No need to waste the courts time hearing the case yet. The lower court can still rule correctly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Gorsuch comments were pretty good.

Today, Justice Neil Gorsuch threw a little shade at the Trump administration for unilaterally rewriting federal gun laws. "The agency used to tell everyone that bump stocks don't qualify as 'machineguns.' Now it says the opposite. The law hasn't changed, only an agency's interpretation of it," Gorsuch wrote. "How, in all of this, can ordinary citizens be expected to keep up—required not only to conform their conduct to the fairest reading of the law they might expect from a neutral judge, but forced to guess whether the statute will be declared ambiguous….And why should courts, charged with the independent and neutral interpretation of the laws Congress has enacted, defer to such bureaucratic pirouetting?"

https://reason.com/2020/03/02/gorsu...eral-gun-laws-without-congressional-approval/

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Gorsuch comments were pretty good.

Today, Justice Neil Gorsuch threw a little shade at the Trump administration for unilaterally rewriting federal gun laws. "The agency used to tell everyone that bump stocks don't qualify as 'machineguns.' Now it says the opposite. The law hasn't changed, only an agency's interpretation of it," Gorsuch wrote. "How, in all of this, can ordinary citizens be expected to keep up—required not only to conform their conduct to the fairest reading of the law they might expect from a neutral judge, but forced to guess whether the statute will be declared ambiguous….And why should courts, charged with the independent and neutral interpretation of the laws Congress has enacted, defer to such bureaucratic pirouetting?"

https://reason.com/2020/03/02/gorsu...eral-gun-laws-without-congressional-approval/

Now if we could just get the NFA removed...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Gorsuch has already shown he is a stickler about things getting done the right way.

No need to waste the courts time hearing the case yet. The lower court can still rule correctly.
    I think also Gorsuch is sending a message to lower courts. But, activists will use whatever platform they have to get their version of justice.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

And yet, he said this:

"The law before us carries the possibility of criminal sanctions," Gorsuch wrote. "Before courts may send people to prison, we owe them an independent determination that the law actually forbids their conduct. A 'reasonable' prosecutor's say-so is cold comfort in comparison."

Cool. Then why send it back down? People are already facing lost of private property with no compensation, as well as the thread of a felony charges. Why wait? Get in there and shred that ruling now. The best that can happen by sending it back down is that another appeals court rules differently and then they have a split precedent.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And yet, he said this:

"The law before us carries the possibility of criminal sanctions," Gorsuch wrote. "Before courts may send people to prison, we owe them an independent determination that the law actually forbids their conduct. A 'reasonable' prosecutor's say-so is cold comfort in comparison."

Cool. Then why send it back down? People are already facing lost of private property with no compensation, as well as the thread of a felony charges. Why wait? Get in there and shred that ruling now. The best that can happen by sending it back down is that another appeals court rules differently and then they have a split precedent.
    Because they have a proper way of doing things in the courts. Let it get there the proper way if need be and let it get struck down. Chevron is getting challenged a lot, and hopefully the USSC will gut that decision.

Top Bottom