• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Hammertime, you rock. You came here for the right reasons. You'll find we're a very close and friendly community, and we're always willing to help. It helps on your part when you can have an intelligent conversation. A lot of people come here, run up their post count to fifty, and never post in the general forums again, and stay in the classifieds. Me, I won't buy from or sell to them.

You're not like that, and we can see that you'll be a regular member. You know that old saying that there's no such thing as a stupid question? Well, that doesn't necessarily hold true here for some people.

Reps inbound.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Welcome to INGO, and since the storm of responses seems to have everything covered, here's my meager attempt at saying something different.

You said you currently carry a Shield, but would like a full-size gun. Is there any reason why you wouldn't just proceed with the full-size M&P? There are a lot of options in that model, so I just wondered if there's some negative consideration about it you haven't mentioned. (If you just plain like 34ozs. of german-engineered all metal smoothness, and are looking for an excuse to buy one, that's a perfectly acceptable answer too...nobody here will blink. I secretly crave an Elite Stainless for a heavy Production gun, and would really like somebody to talk me out of that).

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Welcome to INGO, and since the storm of responses seems to have everything covered, here's my meager attempt at saying something different.

You said you currently carry a Shield, but would like a full-size gun. Is there any reason why you wouldn't just go with the full-size M&P? There are a lot of options in that model, so I just wondered if there's some negative consideration about it you haven't mentioned. (If you just plain like 34ozs. of german-engineered all metal smoothness, and are looking for an excuse to buy one, that's a perfectly acceptable answer too).

No negative considerations at all. Just havent considered it for whatever reason. In all honesty, I'm not the biggest fan of my shield, but thats really because its just so small in my hands. I shoot decent with it, and it works for CC, especially when I was in FL where you can not print.

Edit* That isnt to say I wouldnt consider a full Size M&P. I've just not had any experience with them outside of the shield.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I carried a full size M&P 40 for a couple years where I used to work, and I'm stuck with one again at my department. I never really hated them, but I never really liked them, either. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of .40.

I would carry an M&P over a SIG, just because I don't like hammer fired guns, or DA/SA. Give me a Glock any day.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I carried a full size M&P 40 for a couple years where I used to work, and I'm stuck with one again at my department. I never really hated them, but I never really liked them, either. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of .40.

I would carry an M&P over a SIG, just because I don't like hammer fired guns, or DA/SA. Give me a Glock any day.

If you're a striker fired fan, would you ever consider the Sig P320? Just out of curiosity. Also, anything specific you're not a huge fan of on the M&Ps outside of it being .40?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If you're a striker fired fan, would you ever consider the Sig P320? Just out of curiosity. Also, anything specific you're not a huge fan of on the M&Ps outside of it being .40?

I just don't care for SIGs. The P320 is ugly as hell, not that that makes it a bad gun, but dayum, it's ugly. I'll check one out soon, but judging from the looks of it, it won't feel as good as a Glock, but I'll say no more until I handle one. Cb, I highly doubt anything can "out-Glock" a Glock. Perfection is more than a slogan. ;)

The M&P is actually not bad. They had a lot of problems in the beginning with barrels exploding apart and whatnot. A lot of departments went away from them. Mine has replaced all the pins, barrels, slides, and springs. We've had them for 5 years. The gun I have shoots well, and I do well with it. I really can't complain. My biggest complaint is the take down. It's a PITA. Not a huge factor, but simple disassembly is nice. Grip angle is good, it feels nice. I use the small backstrap.

I have shot a 9mm M&P. Didn't get enough time on it to get a good opinion.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I just don't care for SIGs. The P320 is ugly as hell, not that that makes it a bad gun, but dayum, it's ugly. I'll check one out soon, but judging from the looks of it, it won't feel as good as a Glock, but I'll say no more until I handle one. Cb, I highly doubt anything can "out-Glock" a Glock. Perfection is more than a slogan. ;)

The M&P is actually not bad. They had a lot of problems in the beginning with barrels exploding apart and whatnot. A lot of departments went away from them. Mine has replaced all the pins, barrels, slides, and springs. We've had them for 5 years. The gun I have shoots well, and I do well with it. I really can't complain. My biggest complaint is the take down. It's a PITA. Not a huge factor, but simple disassembly is nice. Grip angle is good, it feels nice. I use the small backstrap.

I have shot a 9mm M&P. Didn't get enough time on it to get a good opinion.

Fair enough! Thank you for the feedback!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    IMHO the P320 "Out-Glocks a Glock" but take that for what it is, just my humble opinion.

If I may, I'll echo this sentiment. I shoot my P320 Compact better than any gun I've yet owned, admittedly that's not many. And I'm not much of a shooter.

When I decided to migrate from 10mm to 9mm, I just assumed I'd stay with a Glock (I had a G20 in 10mm). I was basically just trying to figure out if I'd get a G19 or G26. Then my thinking got mugged by a friend and G19 owner who SWORE I had to try the P320.

I finally found one to check out. I left the store with it. I've only got about 200 rounds through it.

What I LOVE:
    -- Ergonomics. It just feels fantastic.
    -- Trigger is smooth, short, and crisp, but not light. Lightness is overrated,imo. Only the PPQ's trigger is, imo as good in a striker gun. Disclaimer-- I haven't tried an M&Ps since they redid the trigger.
    -- It is completely reliable so far. Mostly Geco ammo and some Aguila.
    -- LOOKS: personally, I think it's pretty dad gum sexy.
    -- Modularity.
    -- Ease of cleaning and maintenance.

What I'm just OK with:
    -- The Siglite sights are just OK-- standard 3-dot. Trijicon HDs would be much preferred.
    -- It's still a pretty large gun, even in the "compact" guise. It's length is about G19 size, but it's a good bit taller.
    -- Grip angle is more like 1911. I prefer Glock grips, but either one works for me once I'm used to it.

What I miss about my Glock:
    -- 10mm! My favorite caliber.
    -- Aftemarket for Sig is much smaller than Glock. I knew that, and it's nothing has the holster selection of the G19/23/32 platform. So far, I'm seeing a reasonable enough array of options. P250 accessories generally are fully interchangeable. Mags are, holsters are.

OTHER GUNS I WAS STRONGLY CONSIDERING.
    FNS9 Compact
    G19G4
    CZ P-07<--- LOVED THIS GUN in handling and dry firing-- For DA/SA, it's one of the best I've come across yet in a carryable package.
    PPQ M2
    M&P Shield (a little too small for what I wanted)
    Sphinx SDP (fantastic, but too $$ for my budget). I so badly lusted after this gun.

There are more good options out there than ever before.

Happy shopping!

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    If I may, I'll echo this sentiment. I shoot my P320 Compact better than any gun I've yet owned, admittedly that's not many. And I'm not much of a shooter.

When I decided to migrate from 10mm to 9mm, I just assumed I'd stay with a Glock (I had a G20 in 10mm). I was basically just trying to figure out if I'd get a G19 or G26. Then my thinking got mugged by a friend and G19 owner who SWORE I had to try the P320.

I finally found one to check out. I left the store with it. I've only got about 200 rounds through it.

What I LOVE:
    -- Ergonomics. It just feels fantastic.
    -- Trigger is smooth, short, and crisp, but not light. Lightness is overrated,imo. Only the PPQ's trigger is, imo as good in a striker gun. Disclaimer-- I haven't tried an M&Ps since they redid the trigger.
    -- It is completely reliable so far. Mostly Geco ammo and some Aguila.
    -- LOOKS: personally, I think it's pretty dad gum sexy.
    -- Modularity.
    -- Ease of cleaning and maintenance.

What I'm just OK with:
    -- The Siglite sights are just OK-- standard 3-dot. Trijicon HDs would be much preferred.
    -- It's still a pretty large gun, even in the "compact" guise. It's length is about G19 size, but it's a good bit taller.
    -- Grip angle is more like 1911. I prefer Glock grips, but either one works for me once I'm used to it.

What I miss about my Glock:
    -- 10mm! My favorite caliber.
    -- Aftemarket for Sig is much smaller than Glock. I knew that, and it's nothing has the holster selection of the G19/23/32 platform. So far, I'm seeing a reasonable enough array of options. P250 accessories generally are fully interchangeable. Mags are, holsters are.

OTHER GUNS I WAS STRONGLY CONSIDERING.
    FNS9 Compact
    G19G4
    CZ P-07<--- LOVED THIS GUN in handling and dry firing-- For DA/SA, it's one of the best I've come across yet in a carryable package.
    PPQ M2
    M&P Shield (a little too small for what I wanted)
    Sphinx SDP (fantastic, but too $$ for my budget). I so badly lusted after this gun.

There are more good options out there than ever before.

Happy shopping!

With the P320, are the sights changeable at all?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    HammerTime, if you do make to to the class you are inquiring about, I have a XDm 5.25 in 9mm you are more than welcome to try.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A warm welcome to INGO, Hammertime! You have received some really great advice here, so far.

I owned a German P226 in .40. It was one smooth pistol, very nice. Yeah, it was heavy, but a good holster and belt will redistribute that weight. Great pistol, and if you want to go P226, do it.

I also had a CZ 75 BD. It had fantastic ergonomics, and was just a wonderful pistol. Any advice to try CZ is good advice.

I decided to get 2 pistols so my wife and I would have the same carry weapons. I guess it's the military side of me wanting to standardize things. I wanted 9mm, and I was leaning toward striker fired pistols for simplicity for the wife. I let her shoot the CZ and a borrowed PPQ at the range one day, and she liked the striker pistol better. Since I couldn't afford to keep the beauties I had and get her what she liked, the other two had to go. I hate it. Anyhoo, the PPQ is amazing, and while I truly miss those two pistols, I would do it over again. Best non-1911 trigger I have felt, beyond all doubt. Great ergonomics, too. That is my experience, and if you want to shoot one sometime, then let me know.

I shot a buddies Canik TP9SA and was very impressed. I liked it a lot more than a Glock. And for that price point, I don't think anyone comes close.

You will likely not get the best gun for you on your first try. Just accept that, and enjoy the process. But remember, the most difficult part of the pistol to get right is the user. So get yourself some training, like from BehindBlueI's or one of our other esteemed INGO training staff. If there is anything I can do, just let me know.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    A warm welcome to INGO, Hammertime! You have received some really great advice here, so far.

I owned a German P226 in .40. It was one smooth pistol, very nice. Yeah, it was heavy, but a good holster and belt will redistribute that weight. Great pistol, and if you want to go P226, do it.

I also had a CZ 75 BD. It had fantastic ergonomics, and was just a wonderful pistol. Any advice to try CZ is good advice.

I decided to get 2 pistols so my wife and I would have the same carry weapons. I guess it's the military side of me wanting to standardize things. I wanted 9mm, and I was leaning toward striker fired pistols for simplicity for the wife. I let her shoot the CZ and a borrowed PPQ at the range one day, and she liked the striker pistol better. Since I couldn't afford to keep the beauties I had and get her what she liked, the other two had to go. I hate it. Anyhoo, the PPQ is amazing, and while I truly miss those two pistols, I would do it over again. Best non-1911 trigger I have felt, beyond all doubt. Great ergonomics, too. That is my experience, and if you want to shoot one sometime, then let me know.

I shot a buddies Canik TP9SA and was very impressed. I liked it a lot more than a Glock. And for that price point, I don't think anyone comes close.

You will likely not get the best gun for you on your first try. Just accept that, and enjoy the process. But remember, the most difficult part of the pistol to get right is the user. So get yourself some training, like from BehindBlueI's or one of our other esteemed INGO training staff. If there is anything I can do, just let me know.

I definitely want to take a lot of classes to get a better idea! Attempting to sign up for one of BehindBlueI's classes on the 4th of Oct, but have to wait for my LHCP to be approved and then arrive to be eligible.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I definitely want to take a lot of classes to get a better idea! Attempting to sign up for one of BehindBlueI's classes on the 4th of Oct, but have to wait for my LHCP to be approved and then arrive to be eligible.

LTCH? We call it a License to Carry a Handgun here. My buddy got his in less than a month. Hope yours goes quick.

Top Bottom