• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks! I'll take a look at CZ!

I would look for a decocker model if going that route. CZ makes a very nice gun, and you can carry with the safety off and have a traditional DA/SA gun, but Murphy lurks and I would not trust myself to consistently deactivate the CZ thumb safety under stress. I had a CZ40B and thought I could until some yellow barrel FoF stuff and...I didn't.

Also be aware that there are fewer sight options for some of the CZs and factory sights are...sorta meh. I dig the CZ PCR, but the sights are a mood killer for me.

In the end, I'd say seek out some quality training, get some practice in, then worry about what sort of guns you are in to. The gun is certainly part of the equation, but its the smaller part compared to the user.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    The decocker option is why i like my fnx and cz. I only 1911s but havent trained enough to get the safety off as second nature. The decocker lets me carry it with safety and confidence

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Hello,

I'm new to these forums so I'll apologize off the bat if this is not the correct place to ask about this. I didnt feel like the concealed section was the right place.

Anyways to my question.

I recently moved here to Indy from Florida. In Florida, its a concealed only, zero printing state. Because of that I've always carried a Shield 9mm because its fairly small and fits okay in hand.
    Now as I've applied for my lifetime here in Indy, I'd like to open carry, and honestly I'd like to carry a full size sidearm. At 6'6 300+Lbs anything smaller then a full size firearm just doesnt feel comfortable after short periods of time.
    I've been looking heavily into getting a Sig P226, as I've shot one quite a bit at the range and absolutely love it. My concern is that after reading a couple of threads that have mentioned it, a lot of people do not like it for a carry handgun.

I'm curious as to why one wouldnt want to carry a Sig P226? It seems like a fantastic gun! Also, if you have recommendations for a different Full Size gun that would be great to carry I'm all ears!

Appreciate any and all feedback!

-Tyler

Hi Tyler. We do not have a concealed section, and the Carry Issues and Self Defense subforum would be the most appropriate place to post this question. I guess it's a handgun question, too, but it is about carrying.

I carried a 226 for my first year. I quickly switched to a Glock, and haven't looked back. You'll probably go through a few different guns before you find "the one." Whatever you do, just get a good quality holster, and a belt designed for carrying a gun, and you'll be set.

Glad to have another open carrier on our side!

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I love my HK VP9. BehindBlueI's mentioned it in one of his posts, and I have to say I am one of the rabid fans. Unbelievably accurate and reliable (about 2000 rounds now without a single misfire or hiccup of any kind). It is striker-fired, so you should have no issues firing it. I have the LE trigger on mine, I would recommend that highly over the standard trigger.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would look for a decocker model if going that route. CZ makes a very nice gun, and you can carry with the safety off and have a traditional DA/SA gun, but Murphy lurks and I would not trust myself to consistently deactivate the CZ thumb safety under stress. I had a CZ40B and thought I could until some yellow barrel FoF stuff and...I didn't.

Also be aware that there are fewer sight options for some of the CZs and factory sights are...sorta meh. I dig the CZ PCR, but the sights are a mood killer for me.

In the end, I'd say seek out some quality training, get some practice in, then worry about what sort of guns you are in to. The gun is certainly part of the equation, but its the smaller part compared to the user.
    That's easily overcome by carrying at half cock, safety off, the safety cannot be activated while the hammer is at half cock position. That's if you can't find a decocker model. Or just get either the P-07/09 and you can switch back and forth between a safety and decocker. Those two also have the different back straps.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's easily overcome by carrying at half cock, safety off, the safety cannot be activated while the hammer is at half cock position. That's if you can't find a decocker model. Or just get either the P-07/09 and you can switch back and forth between a safety and decocker. Those two also have the different back straps.

Good info! I didn't realize the half cock kept the safety from being bumped on. Do you still have to manually decock?

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Oh I would suggest the Sig SP2022, or maybe the Sig P239. Both are Sig's so the quality is up there along with the ergonomics. Of course the list can go on and on; M&P, Glock, H&K, Sig, CZ, Beretta, Bersa.....you get the idea. Put as many guns in your hand as possible, and if possible shoot them all!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You may also want to consider - Sharing Mags

Carry a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 as back-up. They'll both accept spare 17 mags.
    Carry a Sig p226 and a Sig p224 as back-up. They'll both accept spare 226 mags.

And so on.....and so on.......

I try to stay in the same food groups :)

It's the same with women.
    Carry a Brunette and a Brunette as back-up. They'll both accept using the same brush in your bathroom.
    Carry a Blonde and a Blonde as back-up. They'll both accept using the same brush in your bathroom.

If you mix and match hair colors, they'll see it in the brush and catch you.

But for God's sake, never carry two Redheads...........Just don't. :nailbite:

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Dear New Members.. ^THIS^ is how you start out properly on INGO. Just sayin :)

Welcome to INGO :ingo:
    I started here here 6 years ago knowing NOTHING about guns and have learned so much. It is an invaluable resource, and I have made many friends here.
    Glad to have you aboard!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good info! I didn't realize the half cock kept the safety from being bumped on. Do you still have to manually decock?
    Yes there is that. If it makes you cringe.... But with practice it's easy to overcome, just have to make sure you're paying attention to what you're doing, which should be a no brainier since a firearm is involved anyway.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    OP, everyone has their own opinion and I will say it is probably much more common now days for people to carry striker fire rather than DA/SA guns. As mentioned already, the trigger pull being the same every time is probably the number one reason people go striker fire.

That being said, I LOVE shooting the P226. One of my all time favorite handguns to shoot at the range. If you are willing to train with it and get used to that DA first pull then short reset SA pull after that, then I say go for it. As long as you are confident with what you carry, that is what is important.

Another thing to consider is what pistol points naturally for you. I have found that I become confident with a pistol that much quicker if it points naturally for me.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Hi Tyler. We do not have a concealed section, and the Carry Issues and Self Defense subforum would be the most appropriate place to post this question. I guess it's a handgun question, too, but it is about carrying.

I carried a 226 for my first year. I quickly switched to a Glock, and haven't looked back. You'll probably go through a few different guns before you find "the one." Whatever you do, just get a good quality holster, and a belt designed for carrying a gun, and you'll be set.

Glad to have another open carrier on our side!

Thank you for the response! The section I thought was "Concealed" was exactly the section you mentioned, and I do apologize for the incorrect section. I definitely loved shooting a Glock 17 when I was first learning to shoot. Its actually what I used for my CCP exam in Florida and I did very well with it. I definitely dont expect for me to find the perfect gun for me off the bat. I'm hoping now that I'm home, that some of the friends I have who do have firearms, will let me test them out and see what kind of styles I seem to prefer!

On a side note, I've been using a SOE Belt for when I carry, as well as a strong leather belt. Thinking about picking up a Hanksclothing belt as it seems to be popular over on Reddit

Thanks for the support!

I would like to add don't be afraid to ask people here to meet up and try out something. I'm sure most people here would be willing to help you out.

Man, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shooting someone elses gone that I dont really know. Just would hate to do something wrong with it. Not to say I dont have confidence in my ability to handle a firearm, but more so its different if lets say something happens while firing a good friends firearm.

You may also want to consider - Sharing Mags

Carry a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 as back-up. They'll both accept spare 17 mags.
    Carry a Sig p226 and a Sig p224 as back-up. They'll both accept spare 226 mags.

And so on.....and so on.......

I try to stay in the same food groups :)

It's the same with women.
    Carry a Brunette and a Brunette as back-up. They'll both accept using the same brush in your bathroom.
    Carry a Blonde and a Blonde as back-up. They'll both accept using the same brush in your bathroom.

If you mix and match hair colors, they'll see it in the brush and catch you.

But for God's sake, never carry two Redheads...........Just don't. :nailbite:

I honestly didnt know the Sigs shared Mags. I've heard about glocks sharing mags but definitely didnt know that Sigs did it! Thanks for the information!

Dear New Members.. ^THIS^ is how you start out properly on INGO. Just sayin :)

Welcome to INGO :ingo:
    I started here here 6 years ago knowing NOTHING about guns and have learned so much. It is an invaluable resource, and I have made many friends here.
    Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks for the support! I figured I'd dive right into the conversation since it seemed to be a pretty friendly place when I was looking over other posts!

OP, everyone has their own opinion and I will say it is probably much more common now days for people to carry striker fire rather than DA/SA guns. As mentioned already, the trigger pull being the same every time is probably the number one reason people go striker fire.

That being said, I LOVE shooting the P226. One of my all time favorite handguns to shoot at the range. If you are willing to train with it and get used to that DA first pull then short reset SA pull after that, then I say go for it. As long as you are confident with what you carry, that is what is important.

Another thing to consider is what pistol points naturally for you. I have found that I become confident with a pistol that much quicker if it points naturally for me.

I'm sorry if I sound naive here, but could you ellaborate on what you mean by points naturally?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I honestly didnt know the Sigs shared Mags. I've heard about glocks sharing mags but definitely didnt know that Sigs did it! Thanks for the information!

Yup. My P245 will accept P220 mags in addition to those mentioned.

I'm sorry if I sound naive here, but could you ellaborate on what you mean by points naturally?

It means when you complete your draw stroke the firearm is pointing at the target without you having to fish for it. When I first started shooting double stacks I naturally pointed left a bit and had to fish for the sights. I was so used to single stacks and thin revolver grips that I wasn't pointing naturally wth the fatter grip and didn't realize the issue until some quality training pointed it out to me and showed me how to fix it.

blue

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I can understand being a little nervous about ship someone else's gun that you don't know but they are the one who is trusting you with it and should be aware of all risks involved. And to go along the lines of the CZ I was in Highsmith Guns in Greenfield a few days ago and there was one with a decocker can't remember the exact model. It seemed nice but I don't really know much about them.

Top Bottom