• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    At first I was not into this idea very much but after reading and participating in the discussion I have come to the conclusion YES WE CAN. My apologies to those with dissenting view points but you have to understand this is only one of many ideas that continually get opposed by the very people that we are supposed to be aligned with. We will never be total agreement in how the message is delivered. I never had a question on what the message is; to me it’s very clear. “Don’t tread on me”

The real problem is that we have become conditioned on what is politically correct. What is acceptable? I feel a lot of people are just hanging around to see what happens, this is what I call “sitting on the fence”. I can say this because I have been sitting on the fence too. How will the media portray us? Personally I don’t care, I will portray myself for who I am and no amount of bad media will change that for me. When I go home at night I will be greeted by a hug from my wife and kids no matter what. If our fight is against the media then we have all ready lost. If our fight is against public perception, then we have all ready lost. Our fight is against ourselves and until we all stand united our message will be forever lost. I don’t want to risk hurt feelings and call anyone scared but really what are you waiting for? Nobody is asking you to break the law or pretend to be something you are not. If you don’t want to carry a long gun, don’t. If you don’t want to OC, then don’t. Just show up and walk with us. I think you are waiting on me, so I will walk with you.

I understand the "don't tread on me" sentiment. When it comes to the Tea Parties, this quote certainly applies. They are protesting against continued and ongoing growth of big government. They are saying that the government is overstepping its bounds and we won't stand for it. Note: I posted a very similar thread some time ago asking what the point of the Tea Parties actually was... that thread, as this one, ended up being at least a little educational for me.

What I don't understand with this non-protest walk is that there isn't a clear agenda (at least clear to me) that is "treading" on our 2nd amendment rights... especially not here in Indiana... especially not now. Some will say that I'm way off base with that comment, and maybe they would be right... but unless this agenda is identified as part of the message, I don't quite get it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    This "convert one liberal" strategy has not exactly been working very well for us for the past 75 years. The problem is that they are busy trying to convert as well, have deeper pockets and, frankly, a more organized approach to politics.

So other then sticking with a strategy that has given us NFA '34, CGA '68, the 922(o) provision of FOPA '86, the Brady Bill, ASW-I, and so on, what is your suggestion?

thats me personally, I'm not telling you not to do it(the march/walk whatever) but I just don't think it's the best way to get the message across. my suggestion? do whatever you want, just because I think it does more harm than good doesn't mean it won't do any good.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Since the message and talking points seem to be in question here, I've opened a place to discuss the message. We will be carrying firearms, and those who wish us not to is fine, just don't be posting that we should not. Please. I want to discuss what talking points should be brought up when asked about the Walk and what our message is.

I would also like a Statement of Intent to be formulated as well.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-message_and_talking_points_for_the_walk.html

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Personally, if I were in "Control" of a populace (as I'm sure many of our elected ilk believe that they are) I would be much more fearful of a "long-Gun" that could reach out and remove me from a podium or my minions from their perimeter walk.

It was (and is) considered a very bad day when one had to bring a side arm into play.
    By all means, keep your MBR serviceable and on display; your side arm is a last resort.

But, that view is based upon my personal witness.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I understand the "don't tread on me" sentiment. When it comes to the Tea Parties, this quote certainly applies. They are protesting against continued and ongoing growth of big government. They are saying that the government is overstepping its bounds and we won't stand for it. Note: I posted a very similar thread some time ago asking what the point of the Tea Parties actually was... that thread, as this one, ended up being at least a little educational for me.

What I don't understand with this non-protest walk is that there isn't a clear agenda (at least clear to me) that is "treading" on our 2nd amendment rights... especially not here in Indiana... especially not now. Some will say that I'm way off base with that comment, and maybe they would be right... but unless this agenda is identified as part of the message, I don't quite get it.

I don't know your age, but I wonder how many use to take a gun with them to school so they could go hunting right after school was out. Long guns were a common sight when I was young. No self respecting pickup was seen without a gun rack with a couple of longarms in them. I can't remember the last time I saw one.
    There is now a stigma that hangs over gun ownership and because it was gradual, most just accept it and state that Indiana isn't that bad. A as youngster I could carry a shotgun or rifle as I hiked out of town to go shooting and never was there an issue.
    While you may think things are OK I wholeheartedly disagree.
    My kids don't live under the same freedoms I have and I refuse to lose more of them.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    The leaders of this country seem to be having some issues adhering to the Constitution as of late. To me, these marches/walks/tea parties/etc. represent (or should represent) that we the citizens have rights according to the Constitution and we expect those rights to be upheld.

The guns, representing specifically the 2nd Amendment, are symbolic for the entire Constitution and the fact that we do not intend to forget about it.

How that is actually represented at each function is up to those coordinating the event(s). I hope some day it will be understood by all.

Again, that is what these types of demonstrations mean to me. That is how I choose to perceive them. As for the media... well... they're like a box of chocolates...

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I for one love the idea of the OC event. It adds to what I think is a possible "ground swell" of public visibility/education on the topic. The media will be invited and the police will be notified. Bases will be covered.

I for one am amazed at all of the negativity on here about this proud display of our rights.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    thats me personally, I'm not telling you not to do it(the march/walk whatever) but I just don't think it's the best way to get the message across. my suggestion? do whatever you want, just because I think it does more harm than good doesn't mean it won't do any good.

Look, if you don't think it's the best way, then you must have some idea of what would be better. That's what I'm asking. That's what "best" means--in comparison to others.

So far the only other method you have brought up is the "convert a liberal" which is a tactic that has been failing for 75 years (at least).

So in a head to head comparison we've got a tactic that has been failing up against one that you think is not the "best way."

Do you know some way that's actually better than that failing tactic or are we just doomed?

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    A walk downtown with long guns would not be a violation of any laws, but I fail to see a point. I agree with the first poster that you would only be saying, YEP we are allowed to do this.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    A walk downtown with long guns would not be a violation of any laws, but I fail to see a point. I agree with the first poster that you would only be saying, YEP we are allowed to do this.

We know this but how many people have no clue? This is an attempt to educate the public. Like I have said before when a citizen gets shown a right that they were not aware of and becomes curious, then they look at what other rights they have. A curious public becomes an educated public and that is a win for Freedom and Liberty.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

As I see it, the simple fact that some gun owners who are members of a gun forum think this is a bad idea illustrates how badly our rights are being trampled upon. It's not by legislation, this time, it's by the media & by popular, ignorant opinion.

This is why I'm mar...walking. It's a way to show anyone who's receptive that we're here & we're more than willing to push back if anyone decides they want to push. I want to support the gentlemen who've already stood up in NH & AZ.

I'm sure most of you sat there & said, "they've got a set of brass ones" when you saw the OC displays on the news. Well, if you have such high regard for the act, why are you so reluctant to follow suit?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

How many times have you OCed? How many times have you been asked if you are a police officer?

I OC everyday and it never fails that I get that question or "Is it legal to carry a gun?!?!?!"

I get those all the time. This is a chance to show these people JUST how legal it is. This is a chance to educate the public. If you are worried they will pass laws against it, come to their meetings and stand opposed. Don't allow them to pass it! That's what I'm shooting for! Show the politicians they have finally crossed that line.

It is a sad day that we have come to that we have to plan something like this. It's a sad day that there is so much controversy over an inanimate object. But it would be a more sad day if we actually had to USE it instead. That's why I'm TRYING to prevent. For my kids. For your kids. For you.

It is a sad day indeed.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Education is a worthwhile cause.

I agree. Be ready with education materials. If you are so blessed, skilled and capable as to create an open mind for a split second then also be prepared to fill it precisely and succinctly. If you don't the press will for you.

Winers write the history and the deck is stacked hard. You can still win, it just takes 10x more planning, vision, and persistence.

Someone mentioned Ohio, and the OhioCCW guys and gals have done amazing work and had many changes as have had Second Ammendment Patriots down in Evansville. Perhaps a few phone calls, inquiries, emails to them would help you put on the best event you can. I am sure they would be happy to help.

I fully get both sides of this debate and am I heartened at how important the future is to each of you.

Good luck and God bless.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sure most of you sat there & said, "they've got a set of brass ones" when you saw the OC displays on the news. Well, if you have such high regard for the act, why are you so reluctant to follow suit?

I ask my self the same question. But I understand it's their right. I have no quabbles with that. Come or don't come. Critisize or help out. It doesn't matter to me because this is something that's going to happen regardless. I just want to make sure we do it right and do it safe and do it legally.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    ibtl1.jpg

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I am staring to understand the purpose of the walk. I see what you are all saying. I'm just a kid (in my early thirties)... I even went to a LIBERAL arts college. But I see the point that is being made. Beit the re-normalization of guns, or protecting the constitution, or variations thereon: key to me is that this message is presented clearly to those who see this walk (the media, the police, the people). Rep to SavageEagle for opening a thread to facilitate communication on the message and Statement of Intent. I think that, in and of itself, will help this walk acheive its goal more than anything else. I'm glad I started this thread and hope that people put a lot of thought into the message that ends up being definied.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I am staring to understand the purpose of the walk. I see what you are all saying. I'm just a kid (in my early thirties)... I even went to a LIBERAL arts college. But I see the point that is being made. Beit the re-normalization of guns, or protecting the constitution, or variations thereon: key to me is that this message is presented clearly to those who see this walk (the media, the police, the people). Rep to SavageEagle for opening a thread to facilitate communication on the message and Statement of Intent. I think that, in and of itself, will help this walk acheive its goal more than anything else. I'm glad I started this thread and hope that people put a lot of thought into the message that ends up being definied.

One of the things to remember is that there isn't one "big" purpose, but a number of related purposes--education, assertion of rights, helping to "pave the way" for others, etc.

There are some things we would like to do but they are not doable at this time. Perhaps in the future we can do more.

The taking back of our rights from an out-of-control Federal government has to start somewhere. This is one place.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I agree. Be ready with education materials. If you are so blessed, skilled and capable as to create an open mind for a split second then also be prepared to fill it precisely and succinctly. If you don't the press will for you.

Winers write the history and the deck is stacked hard. You can still win, it just takes 10x more planning, vision, and persistence.

Someone mentioned Ohio, and the OhioCCW guys and gals have done amazing work and had many changes as have had Second Ammendment Patriots down in Evansville. Perhaps a few phone calls, inquiries, emails to them would help you put on the best event you can. I am sure they would be happy to help.

I fully get both sides of this debate and am I heartened at how important the future is to each of you.

Good luck and God bless.

This was discussed at the planning meeting. Those with good public speaking skills will be spread evenly through the group and will engage the media and public.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom