Not open for further replies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Same engine just internally different.

You said a mouth full.
    Man, just the heads alone. WOW! Comparing the 428 heads next to the 390s was really something to behold. When my brother had his 428 out of his PU, we did all we could afford at the time to do it right and still be dependable. I remember he and I watching TV and he would be polishing/detailing the heads at the dinner table at different stages. (obviously between wives at that time)

It didn't matter how much weight you'd put in the PU bed, those mudders would break loose.

We still went a bit much on the cam but oh it sounded nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You said a mouth full.
    Man, just the heads alone. WOW! Comparing the 428 heads next to the 390s was really something to behold. When my brother had his 428 out of his PU, we did all we could afford at the time to do it right and still be dependable. I remember he and I watching TV and he would be polishing/detailing the heads at the dinner table at different stages. (obviously between wives at that time)

It didn't matter how much weight you'd put in the PU bed, those mudders would break loose.

We still went a bit much on the cam but oh it sounded nice.

Yup. Stellar engines.

My mention of "Getting the Harley out" was me pushing it out of the dinning room onto the porch and down a board onto the sidewalk 4 feet below.
    The girlfriend at the time did not care as long as it did not smell like gas and I kept something under it. Great conversation piece when people came by.
    She went on a beer and pizza run in my daily driver at the time (Sherriff's interceptor auction bought) and hit some ice, crossed the median and laid the passenger front under the engine and ripped the oil pan. That one was done. I had just sold off all the cars we bought to flip so it was the Harley or walk.

Man what fun.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I hate being down on vehicles.

I'm down to just one right now and it's a retired interceptor. I drive it like a grandma. It will still suck intake if I step on it but since it's my only one.... then NO. I have an older Suburban 4x4 454 that will start and run just in the yard. On the fix list. I noticed coolant splashed all over the distributor shaft when I was changing that out. (module)
    So It had just, and I mean JUST started leaking that. Didn't even get the chance to mix into the oil to make cottage cheese yet. Super lucky on the find but coolant in the oil nevertheless. It was super abused when I got it so instead of just doing the head gaskets (you know it will be more) I'm going to just pull it and get it rebuilt. The "as you're there" term is going to add up. Transfer case, tranny, front diff, etc... :spend:

I'm used to having at least 3 cars just for me. (that ended with my wife) At one point between me, my dad and brother we had 15 Corvairs together. Most all of them ran but we never had that many batteries all at the same time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate being down on vehicles.

I'm down to just one right now and it's a retired interceptor. I drive it like a grandma. It will still suck intake if I step on it but since it's my only one.... then NO. I have an older Suburban 4x4 454 that will start and run just in the yard. On the fix list. I noticed coolant splashed all over the distributor shaft when I was changing that out. (module)
    So It had just, and I mean JUST started leaking that. Didn't even get the chance to mix into the oil to make cottage cheese yet. Super lucky on the find but coolant in the oil nevertheless. It was super abused when I got it so instead of just doing the head gaskets (you know it will be more) I'm going to just pull it and get it rebuilt. The "as you're there" term is going to add up. Transfer case, tranny, front diff, etc... :spend:

I'm used to having at least 3 cars just for me. (that ended with my wife) At one point between me, my dad and brother we had 15 Corvairs together. Most all of them ran but we never had that many batteries all at the same time.

There was a time not so long ago that it was hard to park here for the vehicles. Times change.

Are you sure its a head gasket and not the intake manifold leaking...???

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can imagine the joy that would be to drive. As a kid, I had a '64.5 Mustang that had a 170 straight six. It looked nice but was a slug.

I had a 68 Stang, Fire Engine red with the straight 6-200, swapped out the original exhaust manifold for a split one running duals out the back, also had a intake mod that had a 2bbl carb on it with a 3 speed, Mr. Gasket Traction bars (from the previous owner), Had to replace the rear floor pans because they rusted through, had the optional hood with the turn signals in the hood. Ricardo style aftermarket seats, American Aluminum racing slots all around with m-60's on the rear. Killer stereo with 200 watts. It also had a sunroof in it.

The only problem was a drunk liked it more than I did.

Was coming home through Mooresville going north on Indiana St. when a drunk ran the light at High St, (144) and Indiana. He was running so fast he tore the doghouse clean off, witness said I spun around 4 times. It was my senipr year, 17 years Old and was terrified to get behind the wheel for two months. It was the second time I was hit by a drunk, the first time was a month prior riding shotgun in my best friends mom and dads Dodge Charger.

I still have the Mustang grill emblem along with the chrome footie shifter knob upstairs in my man cave tree house.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    There was a time not so long ago that it was hard to park here for the vehicles. Times change.

Are you sure its a head gasket and not the intake manifold leaking...???

Don't know for sure.
    That happened in the sub zeros winter before last. Got moved down the priority list when I had house problems. House needs roof, paint, insurance went crazy high, taxes dinged and went up astronomically, etc... Was still mending those problem while trying to take my small garage back with yard sales. Going to be hard to do yard sales this year with "social distancing" now.

I need the garage to be empty enough to do the work in case the truck gets too involved. That and having money to throw at it for any problems that show up. I can barely access any of my shop tools. It sucks when a small project will take an extra day just to set up for the job. I always refused to live that way and yet, here I am. Oh and in the city with a shared driveway and a city inspector who will write you up for working on a car in the driveway. That's always convenient.

I'm used to being out in the country where nobody can even see my property from the main road.

If I take the top end off and it looks clean, I might just replace what it needs and go from there. But it was really abused. Oils were syrup(all of them), bottom 2 inches of the rad was solid, one lifter I still can't shut up half the time. If it's all hot and rainbowy in there, I might just pull it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I need the garage to be empty enough to do the work in case the truck gets too involved. That and having money to throw at it for any problems that show up. I can barely access any of my shop tools. It sucks when a small project will take an extra day just to set up for the job. I always refused to live that way and yet, here I am. Oh and in the city with a shared driveway and a city inspector who will write you up for working on a car in the driveway. That's always convenient.

I finally had enough of that and just started throwing crap out. When I moved I pitched about half of my crap and since then I've been honing down even further. Right now, this is probably a tie for the best setup I've ever had in the garage and I don't miss the crap at all.

And... My landlord forbids automotive work outright in my lease. I told them straight up that the entire reason I rented this house was to work on cars. They said what stays in the garage is my business, but nothing outside is permitted. So... I'm in the same boat. You can always pull the truck in, pull the heads, spray the block with lithium grease, stuff the truck back outside, and formulate a plan based on those results. I do a little of that dance from time to time too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I read some of his posts and they are cogent and on subject, although his typing may be worse than mine.

Let's leave him alone.

I feel bad that I had a part in a noob leaving the other day, I thought that I was trying to encourage him, but he took it the wrong way. I worded it the wrong way and have not edited it to make myself look better.

I apologize to the mods for my stupidity.

We really need to lighten up and not announce runners in the open. The report button is there to inform a mod so they can take a look.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I read some of his posts and they are cogent and on subject, although his typing may be worse than mine.

Let's leave him alone.

I feel bad that I had a part in a noob leaving the other day, I thought that I was trying to encourage him, but he took it the wrong way. I worded it the wrong way and have not edited it to make myself look better.

I apologize to the mods for my stupidity.

We really need to lighten up and not announce runners in the open. The report button is there to inform a mod so they can take a look.

WE GOT A RUNNER!

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    With the glut of new members I expected more activity on this thread. For every five new members: one will be a contributing member; one will lurk and post something when there's an eclipse; one will have three posts and be gone due to "over-moderation", "not enough moderation" with the threadjacking and inside jokes, "the good old boys (and girls) club" or something of the like (PULLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!); one is eyeing the classies; and one is bat**** crazy and will implode in an epic manner because the Internet isn't for everyone.

Of course this doesn't include, "You're doing it wrong, back at my last forum..."
    I self-classify as the second.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom