Not open for further replies.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Use of that phrase marks you as an old man....we live in an anti-lock age now. Just mash the pedal to the floor and let Bosch (possibly Kelsey-Hayes) sort it out.

....anyhoo

I am a bit seasoned. I try to wear it well, not overpowering with my superior experience. :)

True story, I had a youngin in my office use that phrase and I asked if they knew what it meant... Deer in the headlights look :facepalm:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So do I still need to lightly touch the brakes a few times after going through water. They used to recommend that to dry them out...

You old guys and your stories from the old days...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yeah, I found one of his posts and clicked on his username and found him that way. Didn't see anything horribly out of line, but maybe the offending post was deleted.

I guess his offense was referencing...um....Jello. But, I've noticed there really doesn't have to be a reason anymore.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Pump the gas to set the choke, then hold the pedal halfway down to start, all the way if it's cold.
    Set the choke? You sissified gentry with your automatic chokes.

You pull the plunger out on your manual choke cable and pray that carbureted 350 will fire after sitting out for 8 hours in sub -20 temps while you were at work.

If if you do get it to fire, you try to get it to idle long enough for the windshield to not immediately frost from your breath. If that fails, you limp it home with it running rough as hell while you sit with your head stuck out of the one t-top you removed so you can see over the whited out windshield of your old Monte Carlo.

I used to keep a set of ski goggles in the car for this purpose.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You pull the plunger out on your manual choke cable and pray that carbureted 350 will fire after sitting out for 8 hours in sub -20 temps while you were at work.

If if you do get it to fire, you try to get it to idle long enough for the windshield to not immediately frost from your breath. If that fails, you limp it home with it running rough as hell while you sit with your head stuck out of the one t-top you removed so you can see over the whited out windshield of your old Monte Carlo.

The things I missed out on by growing up down south...I am not envious.

:D

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess his offense was referencing...um....Jello. But, I've noticed there really doesn't have to be a reason anymore.

:rolleyes:

Really, BA? No reason?

Have you visited the General Political Forum lately? To say the level of discourse has been trending downward lately would be kind, to say the least.

We have tried to post in-thread warnings asking people to keep on-topic...if we go on the attack we should attack the argument, not the user. Well, despite our nearly daily reminders to be civil, the emotions of the site keep rising, personal attacks become less veiled, more pointed.

This user's TEMP ban was intended to send a message to that user, and to all the others that frequent the GPF...please keep it civil, keep things calm, do not turn on one another...we are watching, and we will take action.

Consider this a friendly nip at the heels from the sheepdog...no o e gets hurt, but everybody gets reminded that the sheepdog is still around, and it has teeth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Wow.....seriously wow........not a "T" top reference but head out the window driving home in the dark. -10* and shivering like a mad dog.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

If it helps my cred, when I was in collage, I had an '82 Buick LeSabre (2 bbl) with a bad choke. I had to warm it up for about 20 minutes before it ran right....but gas was, like, $0.86 a gallon back then, so....

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

Where did you grow up that it was routinely that cold in the winter? Talk about no fun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom