• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Halfway through the uninstall a box popped up and said it couldn't revert back. Then everything went black. NOTHING left except for my emails on the seperate account. Everything is empty.
    Thanks for the hint though.
    HMH

Those files are likely still there. It's time to quit using that system though until you can recover them. It'd be well worth putting in a new hard drive to save the files on the current one.

Anyone have updated info on eliminating the continually more overbearing Win 10 annoyances?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Those files are likely still there. It's time to quit using that system though until you can recover them. It'd be well worth putting in a new hard drive to save the files on the current one.

Anyone have updated info on eliminating the continually more overbearing Win 10 annoyances?
    The files are GONE forever. I have had 2 software gurus try to find them. One is a super software gent that travels all over for a major company that does exactly this and he said he couldn't find anything left in it. I also have a family member that's one of the "undesireables" on the internet and he informed me within an hour that it's blank.

When loading 7 again it automatically updated before I could access the box to stop updates. My new clean load is very close to 8.1 with some of 10s features after the update.
    I'm looking at a Mac now even though this new PC is barely over 7 months old.
    They even "F'd" up Solitaire so I'm not happy with my $800 deck of cards either.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some 7 DVDs, I think they're home premium. I doubt I'll be using them much, but you'd probably do best to get them off ebay. That way you can get a nice uncorrupted fresh install. If, as it seems, your files are really gone, at least you can get the M$ residue scraped off, install the patches you really need, shut off the automatic updating, and relax.

ETA, just found a reinstall DVD for $18.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have some 7 DVDs, I think they're home premium. I doubt I'll be using them much, but you'd probably do best to get them off ebay. That way you can get a nice uncorrupted fresh install. If, as it seems, your files are really gone, at least you can get the M$ residue scraped off, install the patches you really need, shut off the automatic updating, and relax.

ETA, just found a reinstall DVD for $18.

My new load was the Ultimate. It was a new registered sealed disc. $10. I miss Vista. LOL!

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The files are GONE forever. I have had 2 software gurus try to find them. One is a super software gent that travels all over for a major company that does exactly this and he said he couldn't find anything left in it. I also have a family member that's one of the "undesireables" on the internet and he informed me within an hour that it's blank.

When loading 7 again it automatically updated before I could access the box to stop updates. My new clean load is very close to 8.1 with some of 10s features after the update.
    I'm looking at a Mac now even though this new PC is barely over 7 months old.
    They even "F'd" up Solitaire so I'm not happy with my $800 deck of cards either.

If they were overwritten they are likely gone. Have you gotten a backup solution yet? Hard drives routinely die just for the fun of it. If you're keeping anything you don't want to lose on a single hard drive, it's begging for trouble.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I back up regularly. The hd didn't puke. The Windows 10 back to Windows 7 reverse operation stopped mid revert.
    I just have to get all of the back up discs put back on the new OS and I'm having trouble getting the formatted discs to take on the Ultimate with the new "updates". I did lose a lot of info I hadn't saved in a couple of weeks but I'm having to get a better education on how to deal with all this new 10 crap.
    I still say 10 can kiss ..........

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am thinking long and hard about deleting my Windows partition on my dual boot laptop except I don't have the Win serial number if I decided to reinstall it. Lost the box it came in I guess.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Win 10 deleted all my documents from Win Vista. I changed motherboards and vista didn't like that, so I just upgraded to win10 a few months ago. Then I went looking for my old docs and pics and they were gone. Actively deleted by windows 30 days after the upgrade. Idiots.

fortunately I had carbonite backup, or 15 years of documents and pictures would have been wiped.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cortana is now on iOS and Android devices.
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...eed-her-no-matter-what-smartphone-you-choose/

Yep, definitely a Microsoft app...

A1L4amQ.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Windows 10 covertly sends your disk-encryption keys to Microsoft

That completes it. Not only is MS actively spying on your activities by default, but you can't even encrypt your own hard drive and expect it to be protected. The fifth amendment doesn't apply to items in 3rd party hands. I've been doggedly protecting my Win7 install on one machine and when it goes out of support, I'll be 100% Linux.

Top Bottom