• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not so much a surprise, just that "You people just don't get it, do you? You're going to be running 10 whether you want to or not." attitude that drips from this. I haven't booted any of my boxen even on 7 for months now :)

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    I had tried Windows 10 on my Mac Mini, but it ran like a pig, so I went back to Win 8.1. Disabled automatic updates and went back to a regular local account (none of this online Outlook.com stuff), and it runs like a top. Going to keep the wife's computer at Windows 8, and possibly replace it later in the year with a MacBook Pro.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Windows 10 is a prettied up version of Windows 8/8.1....aka it's a giant piece of :poop:

Don't attempt to put windows 8/8.1/10 on anything but a decent computer. I work in IT and my genious boss decided to put windows 8.1 and 10 on everything and the computers run like trash now.

If you have 7, keep it, there's nothing wrong with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Windows 10 is a prettied up version of Windows 8/8.1....aka it's a giant piece of :poop:

Don't attempt to put windows 8/8.1/10 on anything but a decent computer. I work in IT and my genious boss decided to put windows 8.1 and 10 on everything and the computers run like trash now.

If you have 7, keep it, there's nothing wrong with it.
    Amen Brother! There is support for 7 but not from MS. There's a good, new world, boys and it ain't from the big boys with all the marbles.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I am running 7 on a self built machine, and have no intention on upgrading. It runs just the way I want with zero bloat and zero problems. The way I see it, if MS is pushing the living hell out of Win 10 for free, there is something they desperately want on every machine possible. I dont trust it. Nothing is free... ever..

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    As long as Microsoft still supports the OS version you like you're usually fine. However, once they end support for it you should upgrade. Applying security patches regularly is key in this day and age. Once that stops you really need to move off of it. For example, Windows XP is an insecure platform now. If not, your desktop will end up being a zombie for a China botnet used to attack other organizations before you know it... :)

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard

enough.gif

Really? Yeah, that's enough for me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I booted my laptop into Windows and let it update. Now my linux partition won't boot. I am not sure what it did but it borked it somehow, maybe the efi boot sector got rewritten?

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    As long as Microsoft still supports the OS version you like you're usually fine. However, once they end support for it you should upgrade. Applying security patches regularly is key in this day and age. Once that stops you really need to move off of it. For example, Windows XP is an insecure platform now. If not, your desktop will end up being a zombie for a China botnet used to attack other organizations before you know it... :)

I'm less concerned about that than I am the daily spying and prying that google and others do... mainly for the purpose of bombarding us with targeted ads at every turn in life. I can attempt to reduce it some, by not accepting this big "freebie" which i'm sure microsoft gives to the people out of their own good will expecting nothing in return. Sadly, it's impossible to stop it all, and I know that. But I can sure as hell try!

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    I booted my laptop into Windows and let it update. Now my linux partition won't boot. I am not sure what it did but it borked it somehow, maybe the efi boot sector got rewritten?

I could swear that Windows 10 messes with EFI booting. I don't know how Bootcamp on a Mac avoids it, but I could see it happening.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008

When you say "let it update".. did you upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10? If so, I could see that happening... seems to me it would be odd for that to happen w just a regular system update to 10 though.

Personally, I always disable automatic updates on my Windows partition... I generally only boot Windows accidentally, then I end up waiting 3hrs for updates to get done.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Looks like Microsoft is making another effort to push out Windows 10. They are making it a "recommended update" which means that anyone that hasn't updated already and automatically downloads Windows updates will be downloading multiple gigabytes with their next update.

Windows 10 Is Now a "Recommended Update" That's Automatically Downloaded

If you don't want to upgrade to Win10 and are tired of fending off Microsoft, you should download and install the following utility:
    GWX Control Panel

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Looks like Microsoft is making another effort to push out Windows 10. They are making it a "recommended update" which means that anyone that hasn't updated already and automatically downloads Windows updates will be downloading multiple gigabytes with their next update.

Windows 10 Is Now a "Recommended Update" That's Automatically Downloaded

If you don't want to upgrade to Win10 and are tired of fending off Microsoft, you should download and install the following utility:
    GWX Control Panel

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom