• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Should we trust the fanbois? ZD Net is to Microsoft what the Huffington Post is to the Lefties.

I think its pretty clear we should not trust all the negative news we are reading.

Bottom line, I don't really care what anyone else uses, but for the love of God, if you are internet connected at least get off XP.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Hmmm, last week my PC was telling me that 110 million people have gone to Windows 10.. Today, that number is 100 million.

9-10% of the installed userbase ditching it in a week's time seems like it might mean something.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Microsoft is apparently pushing some Win7 users who have so far avoided the upgrade to Win10... again. Fortunately, my PC is pretty well defended against Microsoft, but it is pretty sad that they want to put this monitoring software on our systems so badly. They are committed to support Win7 and Win8 until at least 2020, so this is purely abusive at this point. Anyone who wanted to upgrade already has.

Windows 10 Upgrade Reportedly Starting Automatically On Windows 7 PCs - Slashdot

If you are trying to stay on Win7/8, make sure you have a good Windows recovery disk and backup.

Edit: Oh, and GWX Control Panel, which will monitor your system and help prevent a forced upgrade.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just found my stack of factory 7 home premium DVDs, so I have my nukes ready if I need them. I haven't booted my 7 laptop for a few months now, but there's some stuff on it I want. For quite a while there I would set download and install both to "ask", then go back every few days and do it again since it didn't seem to want to stay that way. I have a couple of things I need to see if I can get running under wine or somesuch, then I can just pee on microsoft.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I've stepped on some of those KB files on a few boxen. I have a little hit list I go through every time I do any maintenance.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    So far anyway.
    I downloaded the new Windows 10 operating system last night. It took almost 2-1/2 hours to download, configure settings... but when it was finished, my 'puter is running MUCH faster, videos are no longer buffering...

Yep, so far I think I like this new system.

When end I loaded Windos 10 everything loaded fine, but when I went to use my browser, all of my bookmarks were gone. Upon checking further, all of my contacts , calendars and tasks were gone. It was extremely strange. So I never did use it. The funny thing is I reverted back to 8.1 and everything was back in its proper place. Has anyone else had this experience?

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    If you like win 8 10 is much better. But if you dont like the 8 interface, 10 is just as bad. I still cant find the simplest CP tools with out searching for them.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you like win 8 10 is much better. But if you dont like the 8 interface, 10 is just as bad. I still cant find the simplest CP tools with out searching for them.

When you say CP tools, ae you talking control panel ? If so, right click your mouse while hovering over the start button and select control panel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Only 5 months since last post. :dunno:

Just got a laptop with Win 10. Seeking advice on security settings? Apps or tools to prevent getting spied upon? Tips, what have you?

TIA...

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Just got a laptop with Win 10. Seeking advice on security settings? Apps or tools to prevent getting spied upon? Tips, what have you?

TIA...

Download Linux ha
    I don't think you can avoid NSA level spying in windows. One piece of advice I would give is to have a regular backup setup. A bunch of our offices have been getting slammed with a new crypto virus and life would suck if we didn't have backups.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

TIA...

Don't use Cortana for starters

For others, just go to settings>privacy and from there, turn anything off that you don't think will be useful for you.

For Microsoft Edge, https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy

I'm liking W10 too, PC and on phone. Good for gaming down the road coz of DX12.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Don't use Cortana for starters

For others, just go to settings>privacy and from there, turn anything off that you don't think will be useful for you.

For Microsoft Edge, https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy

I'm liking W10 too, PC and on phone. Good for gaming down the road coz of DX12.

To turn off Cortana, post anniversary update, you will need to follow the info here: Microsoft makes Cortana unkillable in Windows 10 Anniversary Update -- but you can disable her

Top Bottom