• What is your view on marijuana?

• Total voters

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Don't assume by my advocacy of legalization that I have ever or would ever use such drugs. I've had alcohol and some pretty wild prescription pain pills after surgeries, but I'm not really interested in getting high. My main point of interest is in the morality of telling other people -- at gunpoint -- what they may or may not ingest for whatever reason they may have for ingesting it.

Drug prohibition fails the gun-to-mom's-head test, and fails it miserably. That's why I'm against it.

I'd like to add that the laws only exist as a revenue source too. Repeal the laws too. Since the 'war on some drugs' hasn't been successful, let's spend the money on upping the ante on the border or giving soldiers better amenities near the battlefield.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'd like to add that the laws only exist as a revenue source too. Repeal the laws too. Since the 'war on some drugs' hasn't been successful, let's spend the money on upping the ante on the border or giving soldiers better amenities near the battlefield.
    The system now in place is a total failure. It costs more to enforce the laws than they bring in from penalties.

California has suggested that they alone can rake in approximately $20 Billion a year in taxes from marijuana.

Just for numbers sakes, lets multiply that by 50 and we get a figure so staggering, it could wipe out the national debt in no time.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    FWIW, I am not a fan of the "legalize & tax it" argument, but I'm a realist. Getting Leviathan to change its course is going to require some enticement, and taxation is a lesser evil than prohibition.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm going to be Frank here. You guys be whoever. :):

I'm with LPMan. Legalize it, but call it what it is. A RECREATIONAL substance. Just like alcohol. Don't restrict it to only those who have medical conditions. It will still be sold illegally. Un-restrict it, allow people to buy and sell it as they please, and treat it like Alcohol legally. No driving and smoking, if you're high and driving and you can't drive straight, boom, driving impaired ticket. If you're not swerving/driving like a stoned idiot, let em go. No smoking it in indoor public places. Outside at the local park is fine if you're away from the kids. Contributing to a minor would be illegal. Consumption around a minor would be illegal.

I dunno. Just make it legal! I want to smoke again! However, I have a family to think of and I already have a possession charge and I'm allergic to Jail. :dunno:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I'd rather surround myself with "stoners" than "drunks" ANY DAY.
    I don't want either class around me or my family. I've had friends and acquaintances in both categories. Both groups had folks with permanant effects. Both groups had ones that did things dangerous to me and others, as a result of their usage. And sadly, ruined lives were caused by both.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't mean to get too personal, but what kind of permanent effects are you talking about? I'm sure that the ones doing pot were doing more than just a little weed if they were dangerous people.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I don't want either class around me or my family. I've had friends and acquaintances in both categories. Both groups had folks with permanant effects. Both groups had ones that did things dangerous to me and others, as a result of their usage. And sadly, ruined lives were caused by both.

I don't mean to get too personal, but what kind of permanent effects are you talking about? I'm sure that the ones doing pot were doing more than just a little weed if they were dangerous people.

Yes, please elaborate.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

I too don't know the permanent effects you are speaking of but I also don't care. I said what I did based on my experiences, and for me...drunks far outweigh stoners.

I'm not saying either substances are "good". What I'm saying is...

I've known Drunks who Beat their wife and children. Mentally abuse their family. Cause havoc and chaos in their circle of family and friends. I've known drunks that steal, and drunks that spend their life on a bar stool, only to get off of it and drive home on a civilian filled street.

I've known stoners who have a lack of motivation who are lazy. I've known stoners who eat a lot, and random stuff. I've never met a stoner who beats his wife or is violent to his family.

THIS...THIS is the only reason I think Drunks are far worse. And I have to say that..."You don't want either surrounding your family and friends"...I Guarantee you know someone who is a stoner, you just don't know it.

As stated above...I'm not "FOR" either. But judging by my past....If I had to pick one, it would be a pot head.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea, see, I was never violent when I was stoned. However, I wasn't exactly lazy either. I always needed to do SOMETHING. Whether it was clean, go for a walk, fix something... I needed to do something.

And yes, I did drive and smoke. But I can honestly say in the 6 years of doing that, I never had an accident or came close to having an accident. I'm not saying what I did was right, but like me, there are those that CAN do this because they are still in control of their actions unlike with alcohol and drugs!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Those I knew who had permanant effects, it was from heavy pot usage.(my assesment) They became permanantly lethargic in their lives, lost all ambition, and alienated their loved ones to the point of divorce and broken homes. As for dangerous, I meant that they took just as many dangerous risks (driving impared, irresponsibility around machinery, guns,etc.) while impared, with and around me and my family, just as with alcohol. For that reason, I consider both drugs equally undesirable, regardless of legality. I don't have much of a horse in the Legality Issue. I just want people to know my view that these substances can affect you permanantly, with abuse.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Yea, see, I was never violent when I was stoned. However, I wasn't exactly lazy either. I always needed to do SOMETHING. Whether it was clean, go for a walk, fix something... I needed to do something.

And yes, I did drive and smoke. But I can honestly say in the 6 years of doing that, I never had an accident or came close to having an accident. I'm not saying what I did was right, but like me, there are those that CAN do this because they are still in control of their actions unlike with alcohol and drugs!
    Since you were brave enough to tell, I will too.

I smoked from the time I was about 21 until I was 28 on a regular basis. I NEVER got sick, and I functioned just like anyone else. It didn't lead to anything else, and I contributed to society. When my first child was born, I gave it up cold turkey to focus on being a new Dad. I would participate on occasion if I had nothing else going on with the family, or if I was playing music with the guys. I then got my current job, and gave it up completely. I started getting sick all the time, and some other things happened that I attributed to quitting smoking. I have never been in trouble, caused trouble, or anything else negative while using marijuana. I have driven all over the USA while high, and never once had an accident or a near miss.

With that said, I used to be hyper and high strung. If not for using marijuana, I feel I would have been a far different person than I am today. I am more laid back and open minded about most things, and it even fueled my creativity with the fact that I love to play music more so.

I would like for it to become legal so I can smoke it on occasion without fear of getting in trouble. I wouldn't use it on a daily basis, but like alcohol, only when I have nothing else going on, or on a social occasion. I also have a medical condition which it would help tremendously.

I am against it if it causes laziness and a road to harder substances. However, that is an individual decision, and not as a result of using.

I believe there is a time and a place for it, and it's not 24/7.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Those I knew who had permanant effects, it was from heavy pot usage.(my assesment) They became permanantly lethargic in their lives, lost all ambition, and alienated their loved ones to the point of divorce and broken homes. As for dangerous, I meant that they took just as many dangerous risks (driving impared, irresponsibility around machinery, guns,etc.) while impared, with and around me and my family, just as with alcohol. For that reason, I consider both drugs equally undesirable, regardless of legality. I don't have much of a horse in the Legality Issue. I just want people to know my view that these substances can affect you permanantly, with abuse.
    As I stated above, it's not the pot that made those decisions, it was the person.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    This discussion pops up from time to time on the board and it is always interesting to read. I have no problem with marijuana becoming legalized for medical and recreation uses.

Most people who are against the legalization of marijuana for recreational use, they are against the use of it because of their moral compass (usually). Whether it is illegal or not, they continue to abstain from it

I hear both sides from the medical community say that marijuana has no real medical use that other prescriptions cannot fulfill. I don't know how true this is because I am not a doctor. It would be hard for me to believe that any good doctor would recommend the combustion of a plant for treatment. However, marijuana and its THC content and other cannabinoids can be converted to oils/pill form. This is obviously a much healthier way to take a drug than to smoke it.

I was prescribed Marinol last year and this year by a doctor. Marinol (Dronabinol) is synthetic THC. Yes, it does share the same side effects of smoking a joint. I was really hungry, my eyes were very dry and I giggled a lot while watching Shrek in a totally new manner. It also preventing me from vomiting when I was ill and made me want to eat when I didn't want to eat to prevent weight loss (now I'm trying to lose weight!).

The positives: I don't go to jail/lose my guns/become a felon/use something where the origin of the drug may be suspect.

The negatives: Marinol is missing some of the cannabinoids/chemicals that marijuana contains. Those missing chemicals may be important for the 'healing effects' of marijuana. Marinol MUST be refrigerated. If I am going on an all day trip or visiting relatives, I must pack a little cooler to take Marinol with me or do with out. I don't know if it this intentional or not, my guess is yes, to prevent street movement of Marinol. How can it be cost effective to manufacturer synthesized THC rather than to just grow a plant?

To put on my tinfoil hat, the legalization of marijuana further contributes to the cultural apathy and general neglect that modern culture already suffers from.

We also have the right to be treated like an adult by our government. It is very hard to make that case evidence to the government in power who disagrees when so few of its citizens chose to ACT like an adult. My two cents!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    legalize it, regulate it like alcohol so kids cant go buy it at the store (just like alcohol they will get it anyways, WE WERE ALL KIDS ONCE) dont smoke and drive, NO carrying firearms outside your house while stoned!! pretty much just smoke at home and be safe. just like alcohol. but all of the scientific studdies show that pot, is not adictive (only in some peoples minds) and it has no more ill health affect than cigarets or alcohol. Its not governments place to tell you what you can do to your own body. this issue is all about politics and money. the government rakes in BIG money yearly due to pot related seizures and revenue from auctions due to confiscations. Plus look at all of the government amployees and cops who we are spending MILLIONS if not billions of dollars on so they can inforce a bible thumper created law. look at how many citizens are in jail (some for life) just for having an ounce of weed on them, and look how much money that cost us as tax payers. it will eventually be legalized, and when it is we will see a reduction in crime, and more happy people walking around! :) i dont smoke pot. but maybe i would on rare occation if it were legal, either way i dont think its the governments place to make that choice for me. yes you will always have people who abuse things, but that includes food!!!!!! its the same thing, some people use food as a drug and i bet you can find just as many overweight sob stories about how overeating has torn families apart too. people need to open their eyes!! everything is to be done in moderation and then we wont have as many problems. (oh except in regards to buying guns!! buy as many as you want all the time!!! screw moderation, hehehehe)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i wanna clarrify that im not against people who drive stoned. I did it years back several times and was probly more cautious than i am now driving sober. but we have to give alittle to the bible thumping politicians and their church constituants so they feel safe in their little world of fake happyness. :P

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    So, with two comments in a row about bible thumpers, how many of you believe they are the ones who created the laws, and who are the staunch supporters? Why do you believe that?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As I stated above, it's not the pot that made those decisions, it was the person.

When I seen his response I was going to say it more elaborately, but he summed it up.

It's the person who chose to do those things. It's not the drugs that made them irresponsible and lazy. That's just who that person is. The pot just intensified that part of their personality because they CHOSE that way of life. Nothing more, nothing less. The pot was just the excuse/thing to blame.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So, with two comments in a row about bible thumpers, how many of you believe they are the ones who created the laws, and who are the staunch supporters? Why do you believe that?

Prohibition is a "moral panic"-type event. While I don't believe that the Christian Right is solely or even largely responsible for Prohibition, it is exactly the sort of thing that they will jump on the bandwagon to support. Professional scolds of all types like anything that gets people in an uproar, and often find ways to make the panic work for their own benefit.

Moral panic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 6 Most Insane Moral Panics in American History | Cracked.com

My own parents/church (Baptist fundamentalist) were caught up in the rock music and D&D panics of the 1980's. I have ZERO difficulty believing that the church and others like it were helping push the war on drugs as well.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    I'd rather surround myself with "stoners" than "drunks" ANY DAY.
    well hang on, there is a difference between drunks and people who have a few drinks now and again with dinner and of course stoners and people who have a joint or two now and then.

when they become stoners or drunks, they have become irresponsible. that is thier fault of course, not the substances fault.

Top Bottom