• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its a private company vs public tax dollars. I don't have to use that Lilly or HVAC, but I am forced to pay taxes to drive a cops family around all day. Many cities do just fine with no take home cars. The same can be said for you on the applying for the job that pays triple.

A lot of people get by without health insurance, too. Does your tax dollars going to me having insurance bother you? Do you think everyone in the employ of the government should work for free? Well, reserve officers basically do and you're complaining that they even get a car.

I don't complain about what my aunt makes. I started my civilian employment out in IT and could certainly be making more money if I was willing to take the tradeoff in boredom and feeling like it didn't make much difference in the world. I'm glad she's able to have the position and know she worked hard to get where she is. Did you see the post above on crab buckets? Right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just out of curiosity I googled average property tax in Indiana and found it to be $1,051. I then googled how many people work for a Police agency in Indianapolis which said 1913. Some hard math later and found that the average employee gets $.054 of tax money per person. That doesn't include if you add firemen and any type of equipment. I know this is a bit flawed but still shows how little of the property tax is actually getting to each person

About 40% of property tax is earmarked for schools and libraries. I think most of the public safety budget comes from county income taxes, but I may be wrong.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    A lot of people get by without health insurance, too. Does your tax dollars going to me having insurance bother you? Do you think everyone in the employ of the government should work for free? Well, reserve officers basically do and you're complaining that they even get a car.

I don't complain about what my aunt makes. I started my civilian employment out in IT and could certainly be making more money if I was willing to take the tradeoff in boredom and feeling like it didn't make much difference in the world. I'm glad she's able to have the position and know she worked hard to get where she is. Did you see the post above on crab buckets? Right.

On the insurance no it doesn't bother me really that much. But I would rather health insurance be separated from employment like it once was and to make insurance companies compete for our business and that I should be allowed to buy from an insurance company from Nevada just like I can from Indiana.

Reserve officers should be getting paid. If a winery in Cali can't use volunteers then why should a police department. If it was an all volunteer dept. that is another question and not what were talking about.

IT still can make a difference in the world. But I get what your saying.

Yes I saw the crab bucket comment and am still digesting it and working to apply it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    So what if it runs 12 hours a day straight many cities run their cars practically 24 hours a day. The point is I shouldn't be made to pay for the fuel and maintenance for toting a family around. Not only is it extra fuel and maintenance but extra insurance and liability place on the department which is then transferred to the public. I see so many police cars with one or two car seats in the back so it is obvious they aren't putting criminals back there unless they need a car seat.

Have you never heard of "Little People?" Just because they may be adults does not prevent the same type of injuries that an infant or toddler might sustain in an accident. Those seats are not exclusively for children...... that may or may not be related to the officer.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I pay for the privilege of driving my IMPD car off duty. It's an electric car. It costs $1 to charge it up when the batteries are completely dead and I get about 25 miles to a full charge in this weather. I pay more than $60 a month for the use of this car off duty and I have yet to run the battery down completely off duty so 100% of my personal use has been on electricity which I paid for (I charge it at home, don't have the ability to do it at work).

You're welcome. You're making money off of my use of this car and I've never been to an event at Banker's Life Field House, with or without a gun.

I had never heard that IMPD had bought electric cars for officers. It was my understanding that they were for other city workers. If you are paying to charge it at home then you should be reimbursed for it. I bet like laundering your uniform you have the ability to deduct it from your taxes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had never heard that IMPD had bought electric cars for officers. It was my understanding that they were for other city workers. If you are paying to charge it at home then you should be reimbursed for it. I bet like laundering your uniform you have the ability to deduct it from your taxes.

I will be reimbursed for the money I pay to charge it eventually.

Every officer on IMPD who drives an IMPD vehicle off duty pays for the privilege.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Surprised that I haven't heard the argument that LEOs with a car at home can respond quicker to an emergency than if they had to go get a pool car before arriving at the scene.

I see no problem with the policy. I like driving through the neighborhood and seeing a squad car or two in driveways. Kinda makes you feel safer.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It is both the officer's fault and the Fieldhouse. The reason is the off duty officer is taking advantage of a perk for being a cop. Just because something is allowed doesn't make it right. Much like take home cars used to tote the family around. Or reserve IMPD officers getting a take home car and all the free fuel they want. An officer should go back to being a civilian when not on duty. Kinda the whole badges don't grant extra rights and privileges thing.

While there has been good info given on here by officers doesn't mean I can't make a statement about disagreeing with an action taken by one of them.

Police officers are civilians on and off the job... That has no distinction, they are not members of the military. And they are not being privileged per say... The issue here is like everyone keeps pointing out to you, its with the field house.

Are you telling me that if you were an officer you wouldn't carry to the field house out of principal? I find that hard to believe.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Police officers are civilians on and off the job... That has no distinction, they are not members of the military. And they are not being privileged per say... The issue here is like everyone keeps pointing out to you, its with the field house.

Are you telling me that if you were an officer you wouldn't carry to the field house out of principal? I find that hard to believe.

His argument would hold more weight if he believed most officers approved of not allowing non-LEOs to carry at the venues he mentioned. I have no opposition to licensed gun owners carrying in such places, and would gladly support a initiative to change that policy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On the insurance no it doesn't bother me really that much. But I would rather health insurance be separated from employment like it once was and to make insurance companies compete for our business and that I should be allowed to buy from an insurance company from Nevada just like I can from Indiana.

Reserve officers should be getting paid. If a winery in Cali can't use volunteers then why should a police department. If it was an all volunteer dept. that is another question and not what were talking about.

IT still can make a difference in the world. But I get what your saying.

Yes I saw the crab bucket comment and am still digesting it and working to apply it.

So what's the difference between health insurance and a take home car? Both are benefits.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Nobody has mentioned that the drive home squad car is saving us a fortune. Officers have to make a living. Like most of us, that's where their money comes from, their employment. A car is almost mandatory in order to live in America, we ALL need one.

Now, if officer Johnny Law doesn't get certain "perks" as a condition of his employment, WE WILL ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY HIM. He still needs a car, so what do we want him to do? Sling dope? Rob hookers? Protection racket? Do we want him to resort to all the things that we as bashers and haters, are bi***ing that our cynical image of a stereotypical cop does in order to supplement their salary?

We all know that you get what you pay for. Quality men cost cash money. Poverty incentivises corruption and quality people wont seek poverty employment on purpose. The marriage concept that "two can live as cheaply as one" is at play here. The municipality can give access to the vehicles that they HAVE TO HAVE AND MAINTAIN anyway, while still paying starvation wages. The officer can maintain home and family without the second or at least the third largest expense that we all face, transportation costs. The city gets a higher standard of employee while the vehicle cost is only a fraction of what the salary increase would have to be for the cop to buy and maintain a car for himself. The cop gets to maintain a standard of living that his salary in dollars and cents won't support. As a further benefit, the mental stresses involved with vehicle ownership are minimized, leaving officer friendly less likely to kick my a$$ in the street as a result of worries about home and hearth, a personal perk of mine.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I still own and pay to feed and maintain 2 vehicles. 2 vehicles that I drive just as frequently than I drive my police car. In fact, I don't know any IMPD officers that don't have at least one personal vehicle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I still own and pay to feed and maintain 2 vehicles. 2 vehicles that I drive just as frequently than I drive my police car. In fact, I don't know any IMPD officers that don't have at least one personal vehicle.

Sure, but your squad is available. If you needed to, you could get by with a work car in place of one of the others. It's a perk that is in lieu of ACTUAL money. It's something for us to point to illustrating how good you have it without you actually having it that good.

Other guys must avail themselves of work cars, I see them occasionally. I hear bi***ing about about them more often than I see them.

Edit- Upon thinking, Frank are you a long time officer? Maybe well established personally? Perhaps a higher salary professionally?

Maybe a new-boot would be more likely to use a drive-home, single..... Poorer...... Proud to show the neighbors he's a cop?

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I pay for the privilege of driving my IMPD car off duty. It's an electric car. It costs $1 to charge it up when the batteries are completely dead and I get about 25 miles to a full charge in this weather. I pay more than $60 a month for the use of this car off duty and I have yet to run the battery down completely off duty so 100% of my personal use has been on electricity which I paid for (I charge it at home, don't have the ability to do it at work).

You're welcome. You're making money off of my use of this car and I've never been to an event at Banker's Life Field House, with or without a gun.

ku-xlarge.jpg

I saw your car the other day. I just HAD to get a picture.

Attachments

• ku-xlarge.jpg
      ku-xlarge.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom