• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Welp, I did a little looking, mostly on payscale.com, though I found firefighter salaries on bls.gov and police salaries on salary.com... It was by no means an exhaustive search for the most accurate numbers.

Estimated median salaries:

police officer: $52,374
    firefighter: $45,600
    teacher (high school): $46,505

The Indiana median household income in the past 12 months is $47,529 in 2013 inflation-adjusted dollars according to the US Census Bureau's 2013 American Community Survey.
    Indiana Demographics - Get Current Census Data for Indiana

I guess you could call those careers underfunded? I'm not sure everyone would? :dunno:

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Kind of a dumb point, actually. Using a state trooper as an example...

Since the government functionary is one of 6.5 million people in the state, and 3.3 million of those people are employed, the officer in question is attempting to claim "self employment" status because he pays approximately 1/3,300,000th of his own salary.

Sorry, but that's just really dumb, and signifies a rather desperate effort to defend an indefensible position. The public does, in fact, pay the salary of government workers. It is what it is. Denying it only makes one looks even dumber.

Oh, BTW... if you buy his ridiculous fiction, then you must accept that I am an astronaut. After all, I've been within 1/285,000th of the distance to the moon.

Your figures show why the "we pay your salary" group is even more wrong.

BTW, not all cops are State Troopers and funded by the entire population of the state. If every cop was "paid" by the entire working population of the state, you would be getting an even better deal for your dollar.

Since the typical cop is payed in the mid to low $30,000 range, that would mean that each person of that 3.3 million would only pay .02 cents (rounding up) a year for the officer's salary they are complaining about. Add in the "perks" and we might break .03 cents a year. Sounds like a good deal for the tax payer.

Even in small towns, 1,500 or less population, they pay under $100 a year for their officers. So they are getting their officers for less than the typical smart phone service bill, satellite TV bill, less than they pay a year at Starbucks and less than a month's worth of gas in their car.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He said he got a promotion. :)

Heh!

You funny guy. I have to work 2 jobs to pay for jackboots and jackboot accessories.

Interesting! I have to work two jobs to pay for all of my first-aid supplies from the injuries I sustain while falling down over and over on my way to jail.

Well, rhino and I USED to get free drinks at Speedway . . . until the OTHER incident . . . with the midget, the unforeseen storage room accident, the three county police chase, the stolen handcuffs, the federal task force and the Morgan County MRAP.

In my defense, I had no idea the handcuffs were stolen.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Since this thread was jacked quite a while ago, I am wondering about asking BLF to have a lock box area for those who would like to carry to / from their events, but aren't "allowed" to carry inside the event... I've seen other establishments do this and it would be a little more convenient than getting through the Security Check Point (inconsistent as Hell and recently taken over by the TSA) with a firearm. They already throw a fit when you have a sub-three inch pocket knife on you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since this thread was jacked quite a while ago, I am wondering about asking BLF to have a lock box area for those who would like to carry to / from their events, but aren't "allowed" to carry inside the event... I've seen other establishments do this and it would be a little more convenient than getting through the Security Check Point (inconsistent as Hell and recently taken over by the TSA) with a firearm. They already throw a fit when you have a sub-three inch pocket knife on you.

That would be a good idea. Kinda a secure monitored area, where you get a slip that allows you entry and exit, and can place your firearm in a lockbox yourself.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I'm working the Pacer game right now. I guess I could be nice and offer to store firearms in my police car.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    So the officer is given the option to carry into a business but the public cannot, the officer should decline out of principle? That is the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. Sour grapes. Thanks for the humor.

Denny, Agreed.

While I am not a LEO, I would just like to add that law enforcement puts their lives on the line everyday most of the time for people who do not appreciate what they are doing for them. The fact that many departments offer take home vehicles and free gas, well I think LEOs deserve a "perk" like this aside from the ability to easily respond an urgent emergency if the situation calls for it while off duty. But hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's just mine.

Top Bottom