• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If the company owns the parking lot then you have no recourse. Our company had the same policy. No one enforced it to any degree but it was grounds for dismissal and every one knew it.

Unless they are one of the employers that are on the restricted list, they can not prevent you from bringing your firearm with you to work and and leaving it in your locked vehicle.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is not only a civil right, it is a natural right to defend the life your Creator gave you. Absolutely 100%, that is your right. It is also your right to speak and to communicate with others.

It is NOT, however, your right to be on your employer's property, nor anyone's property other than one in which you have an ownership interest.

Let me get your opinion on this. My employer has a policy of no weapons on the premises. It's also exempt from the state law about parking lots. I own stock in the company, does that not give me an ownership interest, exempting me from these rules?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    There as of now is not much that can be done about this rule or law...

QUALITY.

I have to admit, until you posted this snappy one-liner, here I was under the impression that State law very much addressed the issue at hand! Thank you for letting me know that I was wrong, so eloquently, and with such brevity! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. If brevity is the soul of wit, you sir are a genius. You should walk straight down to the post office and ask to be appointed Postmaster General! What a mensch! How thoughtful! How insightful! How absolutely astute!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/16512823.jpg

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Let me get your opinion on this. My employer has a policy of no weapons on the premises. It's also exempt from the state law about parking lots. I own stock in the company, does that not give me an ownership interest, exempting me from these rules?

I don't believe it would exempt you, however IANAL. I could understand if you owned a good bit of the company, but I doubt this is the case. May I ask how many shares you own compared to total shares?

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Not at all, but holding me against my will at gunpoint to have local PD search my vehicle against my wishes is.

de·tain**(d-tn)tr.v.*de·tained,*de·tain·ing,*de·tains1.*To keep from proceeding; delay or retard.2.*To keep in custody or temporary confinement:*The police detained several suspects for questioning. The disruptive students were detained after school until their parents had been notified.3.*Obsolete*To retain or withhold (payment or property, for example).

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Not at all, but holding me against my will at gunpoint to have local PD search my vehicle against my wishes is.

Due to the civil landmines involved, "observe and report" is pretty much the creedo of the modern security industry, along with the insistence of perimeter and access control.

Furthermore, how many security guards have been initially trained, with regular, continuous education in the use of deadly force? I would speculate it to be less than 1%, and lets not even mention the lack of training in less than lethal force techniques.

Try to physically stop someone without the necessary training will not only result in unnecessary injury to the nth degree, but a comparable civil award.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Due to the civil landmines involved, "observe and report" is pretty much the creedo of the modern security industry, along with the insistence of perimeter and access control.

Furthermore, how many security guards have been initially trained, with regular, continuous education in the use of deadly force? I would speculate it to be less than 1%, and lets not even mention the lack of training in less than lethal force techniques.

Try to physically stop someone without the necessary training will not only result in unnecessary injury to the nth degree, but a comparable civil award.

Clearly you don't know anything about the company in question. Their security trains the local pd.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    de·tain**(d-tn)tr.v.*de·tained,*de·tain·ing,*de·tains1.*To keep from proceeding; delay or retard.2.*To keep in custody or temporary confinement:*The police detained several suspects for questioning. The disruptive students were detained after school until their parents had been notified.3.*Obsolete*To retain or withhold (payment or property, for example).

I know what detain means. Again, I will say it. If security holds me against my will at gunpoint to have local PD search my vehicle against my wishes, that would be against the law. Someone would be in court at a later date to answer for it.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I know what detain means. Again, I will say it. If security holds me against my will at gunpoint to have local PD search my vehicle against my wishes, that would be against the law. Someone would be in court at a later date to answer for it.

Again I will say good luck with that.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Clearly you don't know anything about the company in question. Their security trains the local pd.

Clearly he does not realize that a lot of security are moonlighting LEO's, and people who take their job seriously enough to train for it, even though it may be a low paying job.

I know a lot of businesses that hire off duty LEO's, including my employer, which everyone is a off duty LEO.

Don't classify everyone working security as a Paul Blart :mallninja:, it could very well be one of the worst decisions of your life.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I did not read through all 22 pages but I wanted to make sure the actual law was posted.

IC 34-28-7 Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting; an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Clearly he does not realize that a lot of security are moonlighting LEO's, and people who take their job seriously enough to train for it, even though it may be a low paying job.

I know a lot of businesses that hire off duty LEO's, including my employer, which everyone is a off duty LEO.

Don't classify everyone working security as a Paul Blart :mallninja:, it could very well be one of the worst decisions of your life.

The best part is the company in question isnt a low paying security job. Starts at $21 ($19 before training) for patrol officers

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Just have to say, most businesses that have security as mentioned in the cases above, probably have a legal department. So, lets see, several lawyers with their knowledge of of the law verses "barracks lawyers" in this debate. Pretty sure the legal department knows about what they can and cannot do and how far they can go. As already stated, if you are working at a business, you are on THEIR property. If you go to a friend's house and they tell you not to carry around their family, and ask you to leave cause you do, wonder what will happen if you don't leave? Does your rights trump theirs? As many have already pointed out what the law is on here, I will not post it again. I am sure you can fight it legally in court as you can with any law. Its America. But, hope you have a back up job to fall back on, tons of money to take this to court and fight it, as well as the time to deal with all this. Additionally, since its already law, and there is precedence of it through the courts, the likelihood of you winning is now slim to none.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If this company is not an excluded company, per IC, it would be illegal for them to fire you. End of story. It does not matter if they train the police, if they train the Navy SEALs, or if they own the city. If you are fired from a company that is not excluded, by law you may sue for damages and legal fees. Show me otherwise and I will admit I am wrong, until then it's all illegal.

Top Bottom