• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Brian,

Distance is 50 ft. and the black part of the bullseye is about 3" on all targets (the paper is a bit larger than an 8.5x11 paper sheet). On the slow fire target the 3" black is divided into the 7-8-9-10 scoring rings, and on the sustained fire targets the black is only divided into the 9-10-X rings (ie, if you just clip the edge of the black, it scores 7 on slow fire, but will get you a 9 on the rapid fire). It's less complicated than I made that sound. All firing lanes shoot simultaneously, and the Range Officer blows a whistle to stop and start the timed strings. That's really all there is to it. It's a 30-shot match and most people can get in two 30-shot rounds (60 shots) in 30 minutes of range time with no problem, shoot as many as you want.

But you're right, one of us needs to try and get our phone situated to record some footage. Give it a try if you're up in Gotham, we'd love to have you join us.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    People use both irons and dots, just like NRA bullseye. But actual Bullseye rapid fire is only 5 shots in 10 seconds (because they are shooting one-handed). Here, because of the 10 shots in 10 seconds strings, most people are going to shoot two-handed, especially in the big calibers.

Crazy world, though, when shooting .22lr is comparable in price to shooting centerfire reloads!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    You know, we can change the way we run the shoot if need be.
    We could do 2 rounds of 5 shots in 10 seconds, that might boost the scores for everybody and it would help even out things for those who shoot revolver or autos with less than 10 rounds.
    We can try it next week. Were not following any specific hard set NRA or competition rules and it's all about helping shooters get better.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I could go for that. If you're not getting surprise breaks on every shot, you're just practicing mistakes.

Did folks shoot all calibers of guns when you ran that league before, Dan, or did they mostly shoot .22?

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I could go for that...then I could practice .45 one-handed without it turning into a complete jerk-fest! If you're not getting surprise breaks on every shot, you're just practicing mistakes.

Did folks shoot all calibers of guns when you ran that league before, Dan, or did they mostly shoot .22?

It was strictly .22cal back then and some used what you would call race guns but that was mostly because there were no indoor ranges that could handle calibers higher than .22 long rifle in Indy. "The Gun Room" range could handle larger calibers but the rules were already set when it came into existance and they just left it like that.
    Originally it was three calibers, .22 rimfire, .38 center fire and .45 major caliber and I believe still is in NRA competition, you had to have all three calibers or you could shoot .45 ACP as your centerfire caliber if you cared too. Now that gets expensive so when people started asking about shooting teams after Beech Grove Firearms and Range opened I thought it might be better to start out with a "Shoot what you got" approach since guns and ammo have gotten so expensive or to be correct, our money has lost so much "value" that it is becoming worthless. That way more people could afford to get involved and 30 shots is easier to afford.
    Then, if enough people liked it, it might grow into something more in the future. So, that is where we are right now.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I agree, letting people bring what they want is definitely the way to go. I never dreamed .22lr would become such an item of scarcity. Having the choice to shoot .22s, or use up some CF components, is a good option if you're short of one or the other. I think this will be fun in the winter time, and if people are agreeable with the 5shot/10 sec. limits which mirror NRA rapid fire rules, we might even be able to attract some of the handful of NRA outdoor 2700 shooters who don't want to put up their guns the entire winter.

Thanks for what you guys are doing.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As a side note, I never get to shoot because I'm always calling it, so this morning after I finished cleaning the show room at the range I had some time left over before I started my next project so I grabbed my gear and shot just as I would on Tuesday evening and came away with a score of 280-4X, all of them in the black except for one eight, I need more practice.
    I only had one alibi and that was from a failure to fire after a good primer hit (defective ammo) but it wasn't during rapid fire so I just cleared it and continued shooting.
    I only bring this up because no one has ever asked if I could even shoot, LOL.
    See you all next Tuesday.

wkpjci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    I like the change to 5 shots in 10 sec. This would attract more people I think. Besides I shoot amish style it would increase my scores... slightly... now as far as optics we all are scored in same bracket. There is no other category for us amish center fire shooters. :):

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Everybody;

I noticed that there were several ladies at the range tonight. It seems to be increasing quite a bit since they started the ladies instructional classes, good for them.

We had 4 shooters shoot the match tonight, that included me.
    I (Dan Freeman) shot a 260-5X in 22LR pistol and dropped a shot in the rapid fire.
    Robert Combs shot 290-15X with a scoped rifle in 22LR. and a 208 in 22LR pistol.
    Rob Voland shot a 240 in 22LR pistol and a 202 in 9mm.
    Wallace Pulley shot a 148 and a 147 in 9mm.

It was sure nice shooting inside where it was warm and cozy and there were quit a few other shooters there also.
    See you all next week.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi again,
    I was asked last night if BGF&R were still offering prize incentives to the hi score winner on Tuesday night so I asked Michelle this morning and she said "yes". They are currently offering 1- 50rnd box of either 9mm or .40 S&W ammo, your choice, so see me or Mechelle for past winners who did not receive their praze.
    By the way, I do not count for a prize since I already get range time.
    So, last night Rob Voland won with a 240 in .22LR pistol.
    Rifles cannot compete against pistols especially (scoped) so Robert Combs, although he shot an amazing group on one target of 100-10X, he did not qualify since only one prize is offered. Sorry Robert.

See you next week.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    So what does a person have to do, just show up? Sorry I didn't go back and reread the entire thread. Once a month?

Top Bottom