• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your elected officials have enacted these laws, and your fellow citizens are asking that they be enforced. Why should I try to please you rather than them?

I heard a guy smart off to a deputy Sheriff about how he pays thier salary. Deputy reached in his pocket and pulled out some change that was aparently the amount this butt head contributed towards his pay yearly and gave it to him. Deputy said, now I do not work for you anymore.....get in the back seat.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I heard a guy smart off to a deputy Sheriff about how he pays thier salary. Deputy reached in his pocket and pulled out some change that was aparently the amount this butt head contributed towards his pay yearly and gave it to him. Deputy said, now I do not work for you anymore.....get in the back seat.

I would imagine a fair number of people a LEO encounters that might say "I pay your salary!", the officer would have to reach into the guy's pockets and take money out of their wallets to reflect the actual money he pays in taxes. :laugh:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

See, some of them will even pay to continue to be asses.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This was nothing more than contempt of cop gone awry. She's running oblivious to the world and the cops call out to her and she doesn't hear but keeps running, they must have thought, "...oh no you didn't..." and waddle after her and grab her. Being oblivious she recoils as most anybody would do which further enrages them and then it's game on from there to the PR sensation we have today. According to the Chief she should be thankful though as he would have reacted even worse than they did.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can't help but wonder if this this had been one of us out for a jog and we'd have been carrying and got grabbed from behind what the results would have been? If someone grabs me from behind and I'm carrying the chances of them getting shot are pretty damned good. I'd think a few cases like that and this already out of control PD would ratchet things back.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Your elected officials have enacted these laws, and your fellow citizens are asking that they be enforced. Why should I try to please you rather than them?
    One of the choices may make you famous on the internet and cause hundreds of thousands of people to view police as predators instead of peace keepers.

When was the last viral story about a cop not arresting people crossing the street?

Being a diligent enforcer causes a perception shift of the whole profession. Not in a good way.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How many APD officers do you suppose jay-walk in a week? I wonder if they ticket themselves? Or take themselves to the ground for failure to identify?

The whole episode is bad opera, serves no real use, and diminishes respect for law enforcement and the law.

I was focusing on the existence of the law itself, not those two jokers who were/are apparently stuck on stupid.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, I'm trying to understand the uproar. People are upset that this girl went to jail for refusal to identify, after committing an infraction?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So because she had earbuds in this is o.k.?

WOW! Just WOW!

Maybe if she'd been hit by a train, car, boat, or airplane. But to be ATTACKED by "keepers of the peace". . .WOW!

My guess on this was that she was totally tuned out. In a way would you move through society being totally unaware of the situation around you? She was ignoring traffic, ignoring the potential of crime. She was "safe" in her little yuppie bubble. She was above the law. (and I would assume that she would have been very anti gun as "who needs those?") Then has a bi-itch fit when the cops confront her. Given that University of Texas (UT) was experiencing a rash of pedestrians being hit by cars (pedestrians were at fault), the police were tasks to "wake them up". Ever been on a college campus and nearly get ran over by some punk on a bike? Or downtown Indy with the bike riders? There is an elitism in practice there. And these are the kids who will become the leftwing leaders that many of you so dislike.

As I said, I started off thinking that the police over reacted. Now I am thinking that they had a situation with a college kids who have their noses in the air because they live in a protected bubble, protected from the likes of libertarians and conservatives as well as reality.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So, I'm trying to understand the uproar. People are upset that this girl went to jail for refusal to identify, after committing an infraction?

Really? Had she been aware of the circumstances and told Officer Chubby to go f**k himself, perhaps I could see your point. Becoming aware of the situation on the way to the ground is something entirely different.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    FYI, I've researched a little bit of the backstory...

In Austin
    In 2010, there were 12 pedestrian fatalities...
    By 2011, there were 22
    By 2012, there were 28
    By July of 2013, there were already 16

Is this NOT a problem that should be addressed? APD in 2011, to combat the obviously growing problem, began targeting jaywalkers. Forgive me, if I don't feel sympathy.

Stop Jaywalking! : Austinist
    Auto-pedestrian deaths in Austin reach a record high | www.statesman.com
    APD targeting jaywalkers | kvue.com Austin

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I stopped in Vancouver, BC a few years ago on my way to Alaska. I had parked the bike for the night and wanted to find a place to eat and have a couple beers. I spotted a place across the street that looked like a good spot, so I crossed the street in the middle of the block with destination in sight. Just about that time 3 police officers were walking down the sidewalk when one of them pealed off in my direction and asked me, "what's your problem?". I was a little stunned, "excuse me?". Officer, "you just jay walked in front of three police officers". Me (playing the dumb foreigner card), "Oh, is that illegal here?" Officer, "so, you're not from around here?". Me, "No, I'm from a little town in Indiana". Officer, "Is jay walking is legal in the states?" Me, "I don't think so, but I've never heard of anyone enforcing it". Officer pulls me to the side so his comrades can't hear him, "Look, I have to write you a ticket, but if you want my advice, I wouldn't pay it if I were you". I had no intention of paying that one, but for all I know, there is a warrant out for my arrest in Vancouver for failing to pay my jaywalking ticket! :laugh:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    FYI, I've researched a little bit of the backstory...

In Austin
    In 2010, there were 12 pedestrian fatalities...
    By 2011, there were 22
    By 2012, there were 28
    By July of 2013, there were already 16

Is this NOT a problem that should be addressed? APD in 2011, to combat the obviously growing problem, began targeting jaywalkers. Forgive me, if I don't feel sympathy.

Stop Jaywalking! : Austinist
    Auto-pedestrian deaths in Austin reach a record high | www.statesman.com
    APD targeting jaywalkers | kvue.com Austin

So you are telling us that the existence of danger necessarily translates into a mandate to enforce petty and arbitrary laws with more zeal than is often applied to crimes involving an identifiable victim of actual harm in the name of protecting the stupid from themselves?

If I am understanding this correctly, you are more of a statist than I thought.

Top Bottom