• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seriously, why would any officer in this country want to cite someone for jaywalking?

The real answer is likely, very few officers in this country would. I never wrote one. I *hated* writing parking tickets, but I also responded to community complaints. I had a business where their handicapped spots were constantly being taken up by non-handicapped students at a nearby trade school because they wanted to park close to the school, and then the businesses' own handicapped employee didn't have a parking spot. So, I wrote handicap parking violations for a couple of weeks and the problem stopped. IFD complained about people parking in the fire lane at an apartment complex, so same thing. Wal-mart (how I hate you, Wal-mart), also complaints about fire lane violation, so I wrote them. Like I said, a book tended to last me about 3 years. You write a couple, and word spreads, and the problem is resolved. Except at Wal-mart. They never learn. Anyway, I wrote more panhandlers for obstructing traffic than any other type of citation, but I always gave them two warnings before writing.

Now, they may have taken it upon themselves to write citations or have some pet peeve against jaywalkers , but if *you* were a cop would you want to stand on the sidewalk passing out $15 tickets or would you rather drive around in your cop car and not do that? Right. So, a reasonable guess would be that they are either responding to a complaint from the community, a complaint from some safety weenie concerned about pedestrians being struck, or their supervisor hates them. I mean, their supervisor gave them something productive to do as a reward for their commitment to pedestrian safety.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish this tub of Reese's peanut butter eggs and then grab a doughnut.

:rofl:

I guess my feeling is that if you are on the street where you are physically fighting the perps, you should be physically fit and subject to PT standards. Detectives and desk jockies/administratives? Not so much... Because as you said, at that level its more brains than brawn.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As far as "getting to touch" her, that says more about your fantasies than guys you don't know. I've been my hands on a lot of folks over the years, and how attractive they were (or more often...weren't) didn't matter. If these guys were wrong, they are wrong, but I think its pretty baseless to make them into sex offenders or fetishists.

If only you knew the police I knew...

I have rethought sharing details, but my personal experiences (in this case those I accumulated by dealing with issues regarding my sister and the police) leave me in the position of finding such speculation absolutely plausible.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why is it illegal?

Seriously, why would any officer in this country want to cite someone for jaywalking?

Guess I will quote myself since you all missed the real reason. Papers please.

While I can easily see the implications of arbitrary and petty laws, I can also understand the reason for the law. All said and done, with the allocation of relatively limited resources involved, I would argue in favor of leaving the law as it is, assign law enforcement resources to more pressing duties, and apply 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' to include beginning a new career as either a hood ornament or speed bump for those who can't grasp the concept of not walking/running through motorized traffic in an unregulated location on foot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...apply 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' to include beginning a new career as either a hood ornament or speed bump for those who can't grasp the concept of not walking/running through motorized traffic in an unregulated location on foot.

...which I refer to as "playing Frogger". One of the more memorable ones is some poor kid who smoked an even more unfortunate pedestrian, and the pedestrian's wig stuck in his windshield. He thought her head came off and was deep in freak out mode. She was dead, but not decapitated. He did nothing wrong, it was dark, pedestrian was crossing in an unlit area with no crosswalk and wearing all dark clothing. Unfortunately, I'm sure that will haunt him for a long time to come. Killing someone, even accidentally, isn't something you just shrug off. Which, I suppose, is the reason for the law to begin with. I just never cared enough to enforce it, given the plethora of other enforcement actions I had available to me in any given day. Or, you know, hanging out at a doughnut shop getting free coffee before carrying my gun into a gun free zone...

:rofl:

I guess my feeling is that if you are on the street where you are physically fighting the perps, you should be physically fit and subject to PT standards. Detectives and desk jockies/administratives? Not so much... Because as you said, at that level its more brains than brawn.

I'll let you in on a secret, if you're doing more brawn than brains on the street, you're doing it wrong. Even in the academy, there's a lot more academics than physical training. Its what is an "academy" and not a "gymnasium" I suppose. Again, I'm not arguing that one shouldn't be physically fit, but simply having a gut =/= incapable of doing the job or relevant to the way these guys did their job. I'll also say there's a point where it is a safety issue, same as any other physical limitation, and that should be addressed via fitness for duty evaluations. If you rock yourself to sleep trying to get out of your car, you should probably hang up the LEO career until you get that resolved.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If you don't enforce a law then certain people complain about it and ask why you're not doing your job. If you do enforce the law then you're a petty jerk who is just looking to generate revenue for the state on minor offenses. What do you do?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If you don't enforce a law then certain people complain about it and ask why you're not doing your job. If you do enforce the law then you're a petty jerk who is just looking to generate revenue for the state on minor offenses. What do you do?

I see this dilemma posted often. I think its clear you will not please both. But which side do you want to please? The nanny-staters or the non-nanny-staters?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    While I can easily see the implications of arbitrary and petty laws, I can also understand the reason for the law. All said and done, with the allocation of relatively limited resources involved, I would argue in favor of leaving the law as it is, assign law enforcement resources to more pressing duties, and apply 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' to include beginning a new career as either a hood ornament or speed bump for those who can't grasp the concept of not walking/running through motorized traffic in an unregulated location on foot.

How many APD officers do you suppose jay-walk in a week? I wonder if they ticket themselves? Or take themselves to the ground for failure to identify?

The whole episode is bad opera, serves no real use, and diminishes respect for law enforcement and the law.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many APD officers do you suppose jay-walk in a week? I wonder if they ticket themselves? Or take themselves to the ground for failure to identify?

The whole episode is bad opera, serves no real use, and diminishes respect for law enforcement and the law.

Purdue and IU seem to have aggressive law enforcement with respect to bike riders and walking as the kids have ear buds on and ignore traffic laws. From the second article, the police were assigned to the University of Texas (UT) campus because they had so many accidents involving students ignoring traffic laws. It is a more common law enforcement problem in and around university campuses.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Purdue and IU seem to have aggressive law enforcement with respect to bike riders and walking as the kids have ear buds on and ignore traffic laws. From the second article, the police were assigned to the University of Texas (UT) campus because they had so many accidents involving students ignoring traffic laws. It is a more common law enforcement problem in and around university campuses.

I have never heard of a PU student being charged for resisting in similar circumstances. Anybody?

If this happened at IU, I'm sure the Occupy Bloomington forces would descend on Maxwell Hall and occupy it.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never heard of a PU student being charged for resisting in similar circumstances. Anybody?

If this happened at IU, I'm sure the Occupy Bloomington forces would descend on Maxwell Hall and occupy it.

Yeah the kids resent it. Purdue just had a crack down on those who ignored traffic laws. While not as heavy handed as this situation (I believe the UT incident was done by off campus police), university police do hand out tickets.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The real answer is likely, very few officers in this country would. I never wrote one. I *hated* writing parking tickets, but I also responded to community complaints. I had a business where their handicapped spots were constantly being taken up by non-handicapped students at a nearby trade school because they wanted to park close to the school, and then the businesses' own handicapped employee didn't have a parking spot. So, I wrote handicap parking violations for a couple of weeks and the problem stopped. IFD complained about people parking in the fire lane at an apartment complex, so same thing. Wal-mart (how I hate you, Wal-mart), also complaints about fire lane violation, so I wrote them. Like I said, a book tended to last me about 3 years. You write a couple, and word spreads, and the problem is resolved. Except at Wal-mart. They never learn. Anyway, I wrote more panhandlers for obstructing traffic than any other type of citation, but I always gave them two warnings before writing.

Now, they may have taken it upon themselves to write citations or have some pet peeve against jaywalkers , but if *you* were a cop would you want to stand on the sidewalk passing out $15 tickets or would you rather drive around in your cop car and not do that? Right. So, a reasonable guess would be that they are either responding to a complaint from the community, a complaint from some safety weenie concerned about pedestrians being struck, or their supervisor hates them. I mean, their supervisor gave them something productive to do as a reward for their commitment to pedestrian safety.

I didn't think cops wrote on other cops, especially on duty. They're the only ones I ever see in a fire lane at Walmart, engine running, car empty. ALL THE TIME. ;)

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I get the reasoning behind increased enforcement. It works and while some folks don't like it (especially if you were a beneficiary of that increased enforcement) it does keep people safer. The video looks bad because it is. The lady got worked up and there didn't appear be any opportunity to de-escalate. There is a stretch of Stop 11 here on the South Side of Indianapolis at Madison for about a quarter mile where police could write jay walk tickets all day. It is dangerous when the weather is nice. I had a girl step out in front of me texting one day last year. (WOW)

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I get the reasoning behind increased enforcement. It works and while some folks don't like it (especially if you were a beneficiary of that increased enforcement) it does keep people safer. The video looks bad because it is. The lady got worked up and there didn't appear be any opportunity to de-escalate. There is a stretch of Stop 11 here on the South Side of Indianapolis at Madison for about a quarter mile where police could write jay walk tickets all day. It is dangerous when the weather is nice. I had a girl step out in front of me texting one day last year. (WOW)

Once I read what the chief had to say, Texas chief defends officers after jaywalking arrest video goes viral, it made sense. Otherwise I could not imagine cops pushing this hard on yuppies. But it was around the UT campus, kids were getting hit or injured because they were ignoring traffic laws (thus were the cause of the accident). So there was political pressure to crack down on joggers and bike riders who ignored the laws. Yeah, it was heavy handed. And the video was good guerilla warfare against the cops. But it does get the message out that just because you are some college kid, you do not have the right to get yourself killed because you see yourself above the law.

Given the self centeredness of many college kids, ie jogging while wearing ear buds thus tuning out the world (no situational awareness), it might take a bit of heavy handedness to make an impression.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

From their obvious attitudes they are being punished. Probably ate the watch commanders candy.......:laugh:

A waste of time and paper at wally.....those a$$ bags only learn from personal interaction and that seldom sticks.:bat:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I see this dilemma posted often. I think its clear you will not please both. But which side do you want to please? The nanny-staters or the non-nanny-staters?

since I pay his salary I would hope he wants to please ME!

Your elected officials have enacted these laws, and your fellow citizens are asking that they be enforced. Why should I try to please you rather than them?

Top Bottom